Wowzers - how much for a Cupra R?

cobraman2007

Feb 28, 2007
Hi all.

As you may all know, I am going to be getting myself a Cupra R in August 2007 and was originally looking to spend £8,500 for a high mileage version (around 80,000 on the clock) in black or yellow.

I have been keeping an eye on ads on Pistonheads and AutoTrader and have found that many have dropped into my price range with much lower mileage. For example, there is even a 76,000 mile Cupra R for £7,750 on AutoTrader from a garage (not SEAT garage) which is the cheapest I have ever seen. Others are around £8,250 to £8,500 for 60,000 miles. Just two weeks ago, these cars would have been around £9,500.

Is this due to the new Leon coming out and the cars suddenly dropping in price or is it just a lucky week for potential buyers?

If prices are like this now, come August 2007 I may be able to pick up a 50,000 mile car for £8,000 which is going to be great.

Anyone else notice the low prices or is it just me?

Cheers - Cobraman2007

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Haven't seen the cupra R's coming down, but I was looking at the MK1 Leon TDI FR's in the autotrader earlier.

For an 05 plate, they are still the same as I paid for mine 2 years ago :D

Damn - never had a car hold it's value so much !!

schnipps

Apr 17, 2006
Haven't seen the cupra R's coming down, but I was looking at the MK1 Leon TDI FR's in the autotrader earlier.

Yeah i know its odd, they had one up on a ramp at a local main dealer, wasnt a seat dealer but wasnt a back street either, it was actually up for more then i payed for mine over 1 year ago and it was on an 05 when mines on a 55, cant have been much less mileage on it either, as when i bought mine as mine only had 8k. Unless it had full leather i cant think of any other reason :confused: . Intend to keep mine at least another 2 years so if it goes on like this shouldnt loose TOO much.

No idea about R's though different type of car, few owners might be jumping to the new Cupra Mk2 but still i cant imagine it being a huge amount.

Mar 5, 2007
All of them seem around that price. When I bought mine the prices varied massively between sellers.

Anyone else noticed on this forum recently the amount of new "I've just picked up my LCR" posts.

It's kinda cool :)

Mister_E

Jun 12, 2006

Noticed this about my FR+ that I bought 10 months ago as well. Think the FR+ will hold onto more value because of the look of it?

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
Noticed this about my FR+ that I bought 10 months ago as well. Think the FR+ will hold onto more value because of the look of it?

Sounds plausible (sp?). Went to a Seat dealer to have a look at the new Leon (only looking, not selling mine!) and the dealer asked what I had now and offered me more for it than I paid for it!:-o

Paul_W

Jul 23, 2006
Rutland
The SE 20v seems similar. I paid £8000 for mine in spring 05. The same main dealer had one for sale a few weeks ago for £7900.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
I posted yesterday about a letter I had from my local Main dealer offering me all sorts to part ex my LCR, as they've had loads of potential customers registering interest wanting to get hold of one... but they don't have any to sell...

Saw one on fleabay being sold by Hobin of Preston for just under £16k, on a 55 plate with about 13k miles. I only paid about £16.8k for mine brand new (55 plate) in November '05.

But as Mork says, what you actually get in part ex. would be hell of a lot less, i.e. "book" price - dealers will be marking them up by a few grand to almost new prices because they know they'll sell.

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
Saw one on fleabay being sold by Hobin of Preston for just under £16k, on a 55 plate with about 13k miles.

It wasn't a red one with chrome door mirrors was it? I went to look at that one when I was looking for mine. It was up for £14k but there were quite a few deep scratches on it and the interior wasn't as clean as you'd expect for a 13K miles car. Took it out for a drive anyway but it felt all "whallowy" and tramlined like mad! It definately had a hard life!

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
I payed £13,800 last December for my 9800mile, 05 reg, plat LCR with Sat nav. Even though its now on 14,000 miles I cant see it being worth a lot less even if I decide to sell it privately...

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
It wasn't a red one with chrome door mirrors was it? I went to look at that one when I was looking for mine. It was up for £14k but there were quite a few deep scratches on it and the interior wasn't as clean as you'd expect for a 13K miles car. Took it out for a drive anyway but it felt all "whallowy" and tramlined like mad! It definately had a hard life!

No mate, it was this black one. :)