New Leon FR TFSI..... impressed

mrruss

Apr 13, 2007
I have to say I am smiling this morning and a big 'well done' to Marshall Seat of Cambridge for some great customer service. I drive a Leon Cupra 180 and have been considering upgrading to the new FR or a Cupra R. Last night I was given a new Leon FR in Emocion Red with 18" alloys for a 3 hour test drive.

I have to say I was impressed. Photos of the new Leon do not do it justice, and in Emocion Red it looks stunning. The 18" alloys are a must for me on the FR, and throughout the 3 hours of driving, I found the car hard to fault. The driving position is better than the MK1 Leon and the chunky steering wheel and comfy seats provide a more solid feel to the car. Loved the power from the petrol and although I have driven the Golf GT 170, I still think the lure of the extra power will mean higher fuel bills for me!

After my 3 hours, I really didn't want to give the car back and was almost disappointed to get back into my Cupra this morning (well, not that disappointed!).

If anyone is undecided on the new Leon, then go and drive it..........it has certainly made my mind up on where my money is going!

Just a question for anyone who had a Cupra 20VT 180.............how do you find the fuel consumption compares to the new FR petrol? I know the 3 hours I drove last night may have involved some 'faster' driving, but it averaged around 27 mpg over the evening.........can anyone comment?

jedi knight

BIG AND BOUNCY
Jun 18, 2004
West Midlands
Damn you for tempting me :ban: , I also drive the cupra180 MK1 and was looking at the FR on the website and it does look really tasty. Trying to avoid a test drive as I know I will be hooked on it. Also been looking at the special edition Leon Reference with the 18" alloys and body kit :) . Might just hold onto my car abit longer though. Did they give you an offer on your car for part-ex?

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
Seen a few FRs in red, and must admit it is the best colour for the new shape Leon, althought have not seen one in white which might also suit it. I was disappointed when i drove the new Cupra with the interior plastics feel and quality. It felt pretty down market even compared to the Mk1.

mrruss

Apr 13, 2007
Ha ha, sorry for tempting you but the car is streets ahead of the Mk1 in my opinion. I was undecided until I drove it but now I have, i want one! No offer yet as I dropped the car back to the salesman's house at 9pm. I plan to talk with him over the next couple of days to see what we can do!

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
If it helps I've had my FR TFSI for 6 months now & covered 6000 miles (4th Leon, I've previously had a 20VT Cupra, SE 110 TDI & FR TDI 150)

According to the trip over the last 2000 miles I've averaged 28.5mpg on a variety of trips & spirited driving.

On longer journeys, motorways & A -roads its very easy to get 30-35mpg according to trip computer.

I test drove the TDI 170 & TFSI, mind was made up as soon as I accelerated.

r30lac

Jan 12, 2007
West Yorkshire
I have to say that the drive to work is not long enough for me, every morning I feel a little depressed when I reach work and have to get out of the car.

I love driving my FR and have to say (Although I am biased) Red looks mint.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.