Denso Iridium's - Increased MPG!

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
A few weeks ago, I swapped my spark plugs (regular Denso variant) to the Iridiums.
Changed all the coils as well.
Since that has been done my mpg has increased by quite a margin. I expected it to be slightly better but this goes way beyond that.

I used to get 160 miles out of half a tank (indicated on gauge) and 250 miles max. out of a full tank.
I'm now getting 200 miles out of half a tank and 300+ out of a full tank.

Driving style hasn't changed, so I've got to say I'm quite impressed with this.

Anyone else experienced this?

Oh, one other thing to add. I've recently used some STP injector cleaner. Car's done 95K miles so thought it best to give it a go. Whether or not this contributed to it, I don't know.

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
that would indicate that your plugs / coils were well past their best, changing the plugs actually makes no difference if te ones you have in are in good condition and are the right plugs in the first place. To recall splitfire got in a lot of trouble in the 90's making claims that their plugs gave xx% bhp and fuel economy increase, real world tests proved they were actually worse!

PS I have Denso Iridiums which replaced the PFR6Q NGk's ....not on bit of difference either in fuel or power

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
It must be down to the coils then (or a combination of the 2). The plugs had only done about 10-15K and looked in good nick when they came out and didn't really need replacing.

The coils on the other hand, well they were replaced at about 40K miles, so quite a while ago.

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
The cost of each coil was about £18.75. Then had to purchase some other bits from VW to complete the job (4 gaskets and 8 bolts), which probably brings the price up to about £20 per coil.

Spud_G40

PS3 Gamer tag: SRedx
Jun 12, 2006
Glasgow
Could also be to do with fuel injector cleaner as that will lower your octane, which should technically make the fuel last longer....

jNx

May 4, 2006
M25 J13
www.surreymodified.co.uk
Could also be to do with fuel injector cleaner as that will lower your octane, which should technically make the fuel last longer....

Think it's the other way round dude..

STP Website said:
Contains concentrated detergents that help dissolve and remove harmful carbon, gum and varnish deposits on fuel injectors. Without cleaning, deposits can lead to hard starts, lost acceleration and rough idling. This product is made with Jet fuel, a high-quality carrier of active ingredients. This product is safe for all gasoline engines.

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
IK20 is the suggested grade to use but this is for a standard car.

From what I can gather, it's better to use the IK22's for chipped cars etc as they run cooler.

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
Plugs

It will make no difference, you can use either, the IK22 is slightly cooler plug but in real terms you only need to start looking at cooler plugs when you go BT due to the massive increases from BT conversions as opposed to just a remap. I have IK22's in and there is no difference on timing pull or power as to when I had PFR6Q ngk's ( the NGK equivalent to IK20's, NGK's cooler equivalent being a PFR7Q)

Last edited:

jNx

May 4, 2006
M25 J13
www.surreymodified.co.uk
Doesn't make sense at all... Otherwise all your BP's , Shell's and Texaco's would be pushing to make your fuel lower RON! They're doing the opposite

The main selling point of Super Unleaded is it "cleans your engine" and you get better range.. Which is a higher RON