First questions on a LCR & FR TDI

StuRS

Hi
This is my first post and I am currently looking for a replacement for my 06 Astra 1.6 Sxi 5dr and I have a few questions about the Cupra R and FR Tdi

The leon Cupra R or tdi FR both match my criteria for looks and 5 doors although I have not had a chance to drive them although there are one of each local to me at 2 Seat dealers which I hope to test soon. I love the sound of a petrol turbo, but with diesels being so good now days I cannot ignore them. However, I only do 6k a year. (not trying to start a debate on which is better, that is for me to decide ;) )

Insurance wise, the FR Tdi is about £320, the LCR £380 so no issues with that. Tax obviously, I think its £140 for the FR (same as Astra), and guessing £205 (band F) for LCR? so about £130 more to run the LCR a year. 15mpg difference will be about £250 more at the pump for my mileage so in total the LCR will be +£400 a year.

I used to own a Fiat Coupe 20vt but sold it last March and purchaced the above Astra for practical reasons. Now while the Astra is a very good car, it doesnt have the fun factor that the Fiat Coupe had. So I am now looking for a happy medium between the two.

So far I have driven a Focus ST (great drive, awful mpg), Astra VXR (too agressive for day to day imo, 3dr) and the new Civic 2.2 ctdi (great car but seems to have some niggling faults that havent yet been ironed out, think the looks may age quite quickly).

I had looked at the Leon briefly last year but forgot about them as I dont see many around :doh:. My wife also likes them :funk:

Comparison between the two

Interior
Apart from the red stitching and multi cd on the LCR, I am guessing the interior and seats are the same?

Exterior
The Red LCR and Black FR TDI that I have seen appear to look the same (ie wheels & bumpers), apart from lack of brembos and 1" on the wheels, is that pretty much it?

boot space
I have seen from other posts that the boot it big enough to be child proof, but what about golf clubs? Does a normal golf bag fit without having to take clubs out? How many golf bags can you get in (roughly)?

Common Faults / Servicing Costs
Are there any faults with either the LCR or the FR tdi? I have read about the LCR coilpacks braking down under load (was also a problem on the Fiat Coupe) and the MAF (I believe also an occational issue on the Fiat Coupe) and I dont see these as anything major.

Anything else to be aware of on either?

From what I have seen recently Diesel is pretty much the same as petrol to service?

A favour?
Lastly. I am in Chelmsford Essex, does anyone local(ish) have a LCR or a chipped TDi FR that they wouldnt mind taking me out in or walking me around pointing out anything that I need to look out for when looking at one (even at a SEAT dealer)

Sorry for all the questions
Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Comparison between the two

Interior
Apart from the red stitching and multi cd on the LCR, I am guessing the interior and seats are the same?

Seats are different, the LCR offers more support. The LCR also has the all-black interior including headlining, pillars, dash etc.

Exterior
The Red LCR and Black FR TDI that I have seen appear to look the same (ie wheels & bumpers), apart from lack of brembos and 1" on the wheels, is that pretty much it?

Sounds like the car you are looking at is actually an FR+, which is basically an FR with 17" versions of the LCR wheels and with the LCR body kit. Otherwise, it's a normal FR. The FR sits slightly higher than the LCR and the overall suspension setup is different too, which has an affect on handling and looks.

boot space
I have seen from other posts that the boot it big enough to be child proof, but what about golf clubs? Does a normal golf bag fit without having to take clubs out? How many golf bags can you get in (roughly)?

I've never played Golf with a baby so can't comment on that ;)

Common Faults / Servicing Costs
Are there any faults with either the LCR or the FR tdi? I have read about the LCR coilpacks braking down under load (was also a problem on the Fiat Coupe) and the MAF (I believe also an occational issue on the Fiat Coupe) and I dont see these as anything major.

Anything else to be aware of on either?

Coil packs, MAF, leaking footwells and a couple of temperature sensors are the only things you could call 'common problems'. The water pump is known to be a bit weak too, but a brass version is available should you ever need to change it. All of this has been discussed on this forum in quite some detail, so spend some time researching each point if you're worried, but, I wouldn't be at all. None of these problems will cause you any great hassle, it's just things to bear in mind.

From what I have seen recently Diesel is pretty much the same as petrol to service?

As far as I know, you're right.

Thought I'd stick my answers in bold under your questions, just to make life easier :)

Welcome to the forum :D

The car you are viewing definitely sounds like an FR+ as I mentioned above, which was Seats way of shifting the last of the Mk1 Leons. As for which car you prefer... as you say yourself, only you can decide. One thing you might like to know about each, is a remap on each will see the LCR with around 265bhp and 300lb/ft torque. The FR TDi will get around 190-195bhp and similar torque to the LCR. A remapped TDi will keep pace with an LCR... a remapped LCR will keep pace with many things on the road :)

Last edited:

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Hi Stu,

Firstly welcome to SCN, hope you enjoy your stay if you buy the Leon...

On your post, well...
Looking into what you said, i would buy a Cupra R if i was in your shoes.. know that comes from a TDi FR owner... so that means pretty much the most really.

I'm happy to meet up with you on the weekend and let you experience a chipped TDI FR if you like, I'm based in Basildon, so we could meet in the middle somewhere.
The only proviso is that you cant really take my car as a standard FR TDI, as mine has been tweaked slighty.. but none the less you can still if you like see what a TDI can offer you... but as i said above, 6k miles, what abit of fun, insurance not a problem... its no contest, buy a LCR, remap to 275bhp and have your cake and eat it....[B)]

Matt85

Feb 6, 2007
Bucks
Welcome!

I'd agree with slick, If the slight cost difference isnt an issue and with the low mileage that you do I would opt for the LCR compared to the diesel. But drive both and see what you think.

The boot is pretty big, dont play golf though :p , especially seen as it has a full size spare in there.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I've never been convinced there is any difference between LCR seats and standard Leon seats other than the colour and the R logo sticted in...

I didn't do a side-by-side comparison, so not sure this holds much weight, but I found the side support and the support for your back to be much better in the LCR. The shape of them was similar, comparing LC to LCR, but the sides were bigger and the support better. The LC ones were a little flat in comparison.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
LCR seats are more firmer thats for sure.

Then again Slicks seats i'd say are better than an LCR's.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Hi Stu,

Firstly welcome to SCN, hope you enjoy your stay if you buy the Leon...

On your post, well...
Looking into what you said, i would buy a Cupra R if i was in your shoes.. know that comes from a TDi FR owner... so that means pretty much the most really.

I'm happy to meet up with you on the weekend and let you experience a chipped TDI FR if you like, I'm based in Basildon, so we could meet in the middle somewhere.
The only proviso is that you cant really take my car as a standard FR TDI, as mine has been tweaked slighty.. but none the less you can still if you like see what a TDI can offer you... but as i said above, 6k miles, what abit of fun, insurance not a problem... its no contest, buy a LCR, remap to 275bhp and have your cake and eat it....[B)]
Slick you cant take your car as a Standard TDI FR at all :D its almost like a new range of Leon that never made toe forecourts :)

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
Whatever car you get you are going to have far too much fun and put many more thousands of miles on it in that first year than you first anticipated.

I've had mine nearly three weeks and already done over 1200 miles.... !!

I just can't stop driving it (and paying for it in fuel bills :( )

skidder

BERK! FEED ME
Aug 9, 2006
Aberdeen
boot space

You can get the clubs in the boot with a standard sized bag, but I take out the BIG DAWG (Driver) and put it in seperate as its a bit of a tight squeeze if you leave it in the bag.

You dont want to risk breaking your shaft trying to squeeze it in a tight space!!!!!! :whistle:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Tdi seats aren't that supportive, however you can fit Recaros from an LCR or you can fit seats from the Mk4Golf - i got the recaros out of one and they're a lot better than the OEM seats and according to a couple of LCR drivers who've been in mine, more comfortable than the LCR recaros :)

I'm quite happy with the Tdi, for normal driving circumstances it's absolutely fine ... if i'd had any intention of doing track days etc .. i'd have gone for the LCR :)

daj007

I've got an '06 LCR - one of the last made - and it's got a boot big enough to fit golf clubs in but I need to remove my driver to put the bag in diagonally from corner to corner to fit. I've had 3 sets of clubs in the boot easily with the parcel shelf still in and not pushed up.

Got for the LCR - you won't find a car £ for £ more fun to drive or more rewarding.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
I guess it comes all down to if Stu is going to MOD it, e.g more than just a remap, or even a remap..???

As well as Jonjay said, my TDi is more like a LCR TDi.. but thats after a few changes... to get to the same spec or maybe better than the LCR standard.

As for the seats... the LCR standard seats and LC seats are no different, i have seen them in the shop that refitted mine, side by side with a LCR, the only difference is the material covering the LCR seats are foam backed the LC ones are just cloth covered. Hence when Jonjay got into my car he thought the seats are better due to the new cloth refit haing foam backed...

EDIT: But if you get the LCR with the optional Recaro fit out, they most definately are better and deeper..

But as i said, its all down to if Stu is to put money into the car...

if to leave standard LCR is the winner, but if you wanted to spend the LCR money but buy a TDI FR and spend the remaining from not buying a LCR on mods, you could have a LCR TDi... near enough...(waits for the LCR owners to throw stones...)
Horses for courses and how much money you wanna use!!!

Last edited:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Don't forget to take insurance into consideration though. Whilst the prices Stu has are very good, that will all change if modifications are introduced. And if you are going to base the decision on what mods can be done, let's not forget that the same mods can be applied to an LCR to make it even better still.

Out of interest, Stu, what prices are the cars you're looking at? Is there much price difference between them?

schnipps

Apr 17, 2006
One other big thing to consider is the tyres and the brakes, the LCR has 18's which are obviously more expensive to replace, also the Brembo brakes i have heard are not cheap to fix from normal wear and tear.

If it was me though it would be the LCR in a flash simply because of your mileage. As for the golf clubs they will go in on an angle but as said the driver tends to be a bit too long so i would take it out or you might damadge the shaft. I dont think you would get 2 sets in at the same time, you could if you removed the woods, took the parcel shelf out and proped them up like that though.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Don't forget to take insurance into consideration though. Whilst the prices Stu has are very good, that will all change if modifications are introduced. And if you are going to base the decision on what mods can be done, let's not forget that the same mods can be applied to an LCR to make it even better still.

Out of interest, Stu, what prices are the cars you're looking at? Is there much price difference between them?

Well Rob you say that but...

on my insurance all mods are known and the insurance premium raises by only £300 for the year. Guessing the same would not be for the LCR remap on a petrol is seen more higher risk than in a diesel....

and yes you could do the same to the LCR, but not at the same price... i was comparing the price of a 2nd hand LCR and the price of a 2nd hand FR TDI, the difference of the two would pay for the mods to up the spec... so if you wanted to do the same to the LCR that means more money on top of an already more expensive model than the FR...
If that makes sense?

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I've got an '06 LCR - one of the last made - and it's got a boot big enough to fit golf clubs in but I need to remove my driver to put the bag in diagonally from corner to corner to fit. I've had 3 sets of clubs in the boot easily with the parcel shelf still in and not pushed up.

Got for the LCR - you won't find a car £ for £ more fun to drive or more rewarding.

Agreed that's my experience ref Golf Clubs that 2/3 sets are fine but I put the drivers on the back parcel shelf behind the head rests.

StuRS said:
This is my first post and I am currently looking for a replacement for my 06 Astra 1.6 Sxi 5dr and I have a few questions about the Cupra R and FR Tdi

The leon Cupra R or tdi FR both match my criteria for looks and 5 doors

Go for the top of the range LCR otherwise you'll always be wondering what you are missing.

Make sure you get the car remapped and you'll be grinning from ear to ear guaranteed

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Well Rob you say that but...

on my insurance all mods are known and the insurance premium raises by only £300 for the year. Guessing the same would not be for the LCR remap on a petrol is seen more higher risk than in a diesel....

and yes you could do the same to the LCR, but not at the same price... i was comparing the price of a 2nd hand LCR and the price of a 2nd hand FR TDI, the difference of the two would pay for the mods to up the spec... so if you wanted to do the same to the LCR that means more money on top of an already more expensive model than the FR...
If that makes sense?

My insurance doesn't rise at all if I remap, full exhaust, Forge TIP, 007P, new filter, new engine mounts etc. I have to pay a £25 admin fee and that's it. I'm fairly sure the TDi wont be cheaper than that ;) My point is you can't just assume that the LCR will be more expensive than the FR when modified as every case is different.

And I think you might be surprised at the difference in price between an FR and an LCR of the same age and mileage. There isn't a great deal in it these days, so it's not like you'll have thousands and thousands to go spending on all the things you'd need to bring it up to LCR performance and spec. Obviously the FR+ goes a long way as standard, in terms of looks, but you still have suspension, brakes, wheels and performance to take into consideration.

Anyway... we're discussing modified cars and there has been no indication that StuRS even wants to modify any car yet :lol:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.