Time to re-insure :(

name__taken

... Narrp?
Jan 11, 2006
Cambridge UK
www.soundclick.com
It's that time of year again. I'm currently with Tesco, who are usually cheap but not so hot on the actual claiming part (so i've heard) They have just quoted me £625ish, i'm 26 and have 5 years ncb... frankly i think that's pretty expensive.

I just wanted to know which company some of you guys use, someone more mod-friendly perhaps?I hear good things about greenlight??

Cheers

Alpha

I'm 28 with 5 years ncb, mine's due for renewal as well. I was getting similar quotes when going direct to the insurer. I tried confused.com and instead of the AA wanting over £600, they quoted £340 through Confused.

cobraman2007

Feb 28, 2007
I have to say Tesco have been extremely good to me for the past four years.

On one occasion, my passenger window was smashed on the MX5 and it was replaced under cover within a few days. On another occasion, I was hit by a large truck and once again, Tesco put the car in immediately and commissioned me with a courtesy car and they won the claim in Court as to whose fault the hit was (it was the trucker's fault). My NCB was unaffected and the problems were solved quite quickly by Tesco.

I have just received my latest quote for next year's insurance on the MX5 and it looks quite cheap again.

I will, of course, try Greenlight when I get the LCR although Tesco quoted me a reasonable £748 protected NCB (I am 28 with 4 years NCB). This is on the fact that I purchase a standard 225bhp LCR.

Cheers - Cobraman2007

name__taken

... Narrp?
Jan 11, 2006
Cambridge UK
www.soundclick.com
Greenlight have just guesstimated at just under £500 so things are looking up! Couldn't see any mention of free remap cover though...? Confused.com's prices seem to be rarely what you actually end up paying. Also most of their insurers were unable to quote me at all... curse the modding bug!

Well i've not had the chance <touches wood> to see how good or bad Tesco are, but they did mess my gf around a little. She used a company called Helphire in the end, who by the way did a stunning job, if anyone wants to check them out ;)

Rhys

Yeah I moved away from Tesco a few days ago after they quoted me over £1000 for a re-mapped LCR. (27 and 5yrs NCB)
I'm now with Greenlight - they quoted me £497 for the re-mapped LCR with an excess of £250 (Tesco wanted £500).

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
Try confused.com

Esure came out best for me (when excess taken into account) and mine was £412 (34 yo 7 years NCB)

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Ive found Admiral to be cheapest with a 10 month bonus accelerator policy for 2 years running now, I used to be with Direct line for years who were very good on the whole.

Allways found quotes from the AA, or confused.com to be really expensive, and a lot of the companies they say they go to on confused.com wont actually quote so a waste of time!

Norwich union didn't "quote me happy" and the RAC couldn't quote either...apparently both think at 24 im too young to be driving a cupra!! seriuosly WTF! lol

Some other people i know have found elephant good for prices (i haven't) but after my mate's claim with them and the poor way they handled that I personally wouldn't use them.

Oh that reminds me about Norwich union, my ex girlfriends sister had an accident,so they recovered the car...then couldn't find it! they didn't know where they had taken it to! Then they sent her a letter offering her £XX
to write off her "mini", when her car was actually a Triumph Spitfire!! Thats not the sort of thing that would make me want to use them!

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Ok guys, the car i have is in my girlfriends name, we both drive the car, and obv cause cars in her name insurance is in it too!
She has her every day car so we had to start this one of with 0yrs NCD, i've got an SP50 she has clean licence, no claims in last 5 years, bith of us are 22, car parked on drive, not had time to call them, about the mods yet, £677 with diamond, but she insures her car with more than, £240 with protected NCD on a lupo 16v.

Georgie

WADDA YA WANT.. EH?!
Nov 27, 2005
FLEET
for what its worth i have had to claim twice on tescos and they were fantastic. money paid out with in 10 days of accident and replacment car sorted the next day. cant praise them enough in that respect.. they only allow 6 mods iirc.. i decalred my wheels, tints, suspension, induction kit and some other random bollox and it got pretty pricey. they would let me be remapped til i had been driving 2 years.

cobraman2007

Feb 28, 2007
:lol: Agree with the comment above about Tesco being thoroughly good in processing a claim quickly and effieciently.

I have just read the post above where Tesco quoted £1000 for a mapped LCR and that does sound a bit expensive. In that respect, I will have to ring Greenlight and see what they are able to offer. Especially, if they can offer free insurance on a remap itself.

Cheers - Cobraman2007

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
If you phone Greenlight and tell them you got their details from this website and are interested in the free remap cover, they will know exactly what you're talking about and will probably give you a bit of a discount as you're on this site.

For reference... I'm 23, have 3 years NCB and a 56 day ban for SP60 on my licence and I pay £750 all mods declared :)

spikeydoo

not such a newbie
May 19, 2006
Somerset
have u tried Direct-Line??? I found them cheaper than Tesco - the web-sites looked uncannily similar on the LCR I'm paying £320 NCP with full no claims - ohh & an SP30 - £250xs

forgot i'm older....30

Last edited:

name__taken

... Narrp?
Jan 11, 2006
Cambridge UK
www.soundclick.com
Thanks guys, i'm going to give both greenlight and adrian flux a call when i get home from work... i don't have a remap as yet but it is something i'm considering. I also tried norwich union... £800+!! and thats before i tell them about the mods!

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
Ive found tescos very very cheap
20 when i insured my LC (they told me the car had an age limit of 21 til i told them i would leave) and i pay £1300, £115 per month

now in august when i have to re-insure, my insurance drops to about £700 with tesco, 4 years no claims(in august, touch wood). Now that is a hell of a drop for a 21 yr old and 4 years on just an LC.

Elephant (for august) quoted £1500, its more than im paying now!

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
with regards to the websites looking the same, the chances are that most of the companies use an off the shelf piece of software to process quotes, etc. and simply skin it to their own company colours and logo's. (its common practice in web development).

Also, if people are looking for insurance my mate dave is a developer of the gocompare.com website and he'd be annoyed if i didnt at least mention it to you all! :)

im 23 2 years ncb and direct line only charged me 140 quid to switch to the lcr from my 1.8 focus (5 mnths remaining). im expecting the renewal to be somewhere in the region of 750 with 3 yrs no claims but i will look around when the time draws near...

the key to cheap insurance is shopping around!

paulb2003

Give Noel Dazely's a shout.
I got mine from them for 10% less than anybody else.
As mentioned above, shop around - bet yer bird wouldnt buy the first pair of shoes she saw???
OK bad example...

Matt85

Feb 6, 2007
Bucks
Im with Direct Line, 21 with 4 yrs NCB, quoted just over 700 for my LCR. Not too bad for my age! :) Dunno what they are like with mods though, as mines standard.

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
direct line dont like mods. tried them with my old MK3 1.4 golf, said it had alloys etc they said, sorry, you have to be 21 to have insurance with car modifications. so sod knows what they are like for a 21yr old. wish i could have afforded an LCR, doubt very much tesco would have insured me til this year, struggled enough with my LC