GSD3 Tyres - Tread Wear indicator depth

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hey all

quick question, as i have searched here and t'interweb and not found the answer....

I have GSD3 tyres with which one of them is almost at the tread wear indicator level.

But what IS that level? 3mm? 2mm? legal limit (1.6mm) ???

Cheers

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
I've got all four very close to the limit as well.

I've got a track day next week which will definately see them off, so I am curious as to what the wear markers are set at aswell.

Need to know how legal my drive home will be:whistle:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Goodyear's UK website says
Check your tyre tread regularly to find out whether a tyre needs replacing. All passenger, light truck, and medium commercial tyres have tread wear indicator bars moulded into the tread. These bars are located at the bottoms of the tread grooves in several locations around the tyre. When the tyre is worn to the point where any of them become visibly flush with the adjacent tread ribs, it is time to replace the tyre

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Thanks Tim - i know what the legal limit is... but i don't know what the TWI is set to.

It would be useful if Goodyear mentioned it somewhere (at least i can't find it) because otherwise it's hardly an "indicator" other than to say - "they're getting low"

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Goodyear's UK website says

thanks DPJ.....

I did see that - but surely they're not saying that the TWI is at a BALD tyre.... it must be above the BALD (slicks) level..... so i suppose from that statement it'd mean that the TWI is at 1.6mm...

Or are they just recommending that the tyre should be changed when at that level.... I know some people recommend to change at 3mm..... but that's almost double the legal limit...

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
thanks DPJ.....

I did see that - but surely they're not saying that the TWI is at a BALD tyre.... it must be above the BALD (slicks) level..... so i suppose from that statement it'd mean that the TWI is at 1.6mm...

Or are they just recommending that the tyre should be changed when at that level.... I know some people recommend to change at 3mm..... but that's almost double the legal limit...

I've not seen GSD3s, Paul. My Toyos had just got to level with the TWIs. The TWIs at that stage certainly looked less than 3mm. My guess would be 2mm - but hey there's f*** all difference between that and 1.6mm. I wouldn't like to argue it in court after an accident. :shrug:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
well, my situation is that my front left is down to TWI, which to me looks like 2mm as well.

My front right looks like it has 3mm left. However, i want to replace both at the same time. So, essentially, i either need to do a lot of sharp/fast left hand turns to wear the RHS down, or wait a little bit longer for it to get closer to the limit.

Throw into the works the imminent house move (and hence house costs) AND a holiday, and being a fair distance away from my next payday, I'm trying to prolong the use of my tyres by a few weeks. (if possible)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
3 points and upt to £2500 fine per tyre.... (so i read)

but if I'm above legal limit, why should i change the tyre straight away? A few weeks isn't going to make THAT much difference, and the limit (if currently at 2mm TWI) would give me enough, I would THINK....

That's why i'm asking the question..... :)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Why not just drive a bit more carefully for the next couple of weeks to minimise wear on the tyres? Personally I replace at 3mm.

Be a bit more careful and should last a bit longer :)

I am doing that already mate - it's ALL motorway driving so tyres last quite a long time for me anyway.

BUT - i Do NOT want to keep driving if my tyre(s) are illegal!!!!!!! If the TWI is at 1.6mm, then i WILL order new tyres today, and get them swapped at the weekend. But that'll leave me with very limited dosh for a couple of weeks, and I need to come up with almost £22,000 for house deposit/holiday etc.!!!

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
If their that low then replace them. I wouldn't chance it for safety reasons or the fact of the fine/points (Tyres seem cheap in comparison!).

Do you have a full size spare you could whack on the low side if you are that desperate for cash?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Spare tyre is a space saver :( So no good there.....

Edc - thanks for the info. I do 100% whole-heartedly agree with you and the general rules with tyres - I nearly ALWAYS change my tyres at around 3mm.

However, as mentioned, it's the House/Holiday stuff that's going on which is why i'm trying to delay things til next payday.... that was all.

but it seems that there is NO answer to what level the TWI is - so I kind of think it's pointless - because I can see when the tyre is low/bald WITHOUT one..... and I can guesstimate when i need to change them. the TWI has not helped me with an exact measurement, which i thought they would.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.