Petrol Treatments

Briggsy

Hi all

I was reading a thread re - std petrol and the likes of optimax the other day.

The general consensus is that optimax and BP ultimate etc etc contain detergents which help clean/maintain your engine, compared to bog standard fuel (eg tesco!!).

What are your guys opions of using std fuel and regularly using injector cleaners eg REDEX???

Would be good to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

:dance:

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Sorry to drag up an old thread but this is the exact question I was going to ask. I know pretty much all fuel now contains cleaners, but is it worth using something else such as REDEX every once in a while?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
It can't do any harm, but if you use good quality fuel and service your car properly, it shouldn't be needed more than once in a blue moon.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
ive been known to throw a bottle of redex in a tank once a year
never does any harm, but never seen any benefits

more of a piece of mind thing

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
Yeah I put some in every six months with a full tank then give it some leather for a couple of days. Like Rik says dont feel any difference but piece of mind for a few quid.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
I think the same here applies to the argument of pro-biotic yoghurts/drinks. There is, currently, no strong evidence they have a profound impact on your digestive system.. but we do know they aren't causing harm or having a negative impact. That said, why not drink them anyway and then find out, 5 years from now they're a great boost to your immune and digestive system. Or, if not.. you've lost nothing.

I'll use Redex and engine flushes until someone tells me they 100% don't work and definitely do sod all. I'd rather find they do help.. and be glad I've used them. If not, what have I lost?

Leon.SJ

Naturally aspirated...
Oct 16, 2006
South Bucks.
Has anyone tried the NOS Octane Booster stuff? I bought some ages ago but never got round to using it, I mainly do motorway miles now and it would seem wasted there, need a week when I can just blast down B-roads all day...

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I think the same here applies to the argument of pro-biotic yoghurts/drinks. There is, currently, no strong evidence they have a profound impact on your digestive system.. but we do know they aren't causing harm or having a negative impact. That said, why not drink them anyway and then find out, 5 years from now they're a great boost to your immune and digestive system. Or, if not.. you've lost nothing.

I'll use Redex and engine flushes until someone tells me they 100% don't work and definitely do sod all. I'd rather find they do help.. and be glad I've used them. If not, what have I lost?

I quite like the analogy... it's why I've been putting Dinosaur repellent in my back garden for the last few years. Seems to be working OK so far ;)

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
Has anyone tried the NOS Octane Booster stuff? I bought some ages ago but never got round to using it, I mainly do motorway miles now and it would seem wasted there, need a week when I can just blast down B-roads all day...

Ive been tempted but didnt fancy boosting V-Power @ 99RON to 101-103RON regularly, or even more than once. maybe wrong but feel like it would do damage

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Hmm. also, I have a stone that keeps tigers away. RobM. Would you be interested in it? I mean.. since I've owned it.. tiger encounters have been at an average of 0.0%

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Octane booster is branded as a miracle juice, straight outta Fast & Furious. I'd rather just using Tesco99 and start off from a decent point.. rather than put god knows what into my tank :S

Leon.SJ

Naturally aspirated...
Oct 16, 2006
South Bucks.
Octane booster is branded as a miracle juice, straight outta Fast & Furious. I'd rather just using Tesco99 and start off from a decent point.. rather than put god knows what into my tank :S

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. I bought it for my old car really (which would have probably :flamed: with it in anyway!!) and have always been reluctant to put it in the Leon. I'm glad its not just me being paranoid then!

cobraman2007

Feb 28, 2007
ive been known to throw a bottle of redex in a tank once a year
never does any harm, but never seen any benefits

more of a piece of mind thing

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think your meant to unscrew the top of the redex bottle and pour it in - not just throw the bottle into the tank. I bet your cars had it now.:lol: :lol: :lol: