Dissapointed with a 1.8T

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Ok so i have been thinking about moving up to the MK3 Cupra 1.8T and possibly the Leon Cupra 180. Wanting to get a feel for how the engine was i borrowed a friends Audi A3 1.8T 150, first impressions were very good, the car had done 100k and it felt really well screwed together still, everything worked as it should have and the gear change was fantastic (one of the Cordy's weaknesses).

However the car didnt excite me or send a tingle down my spine like the Cordy does when its going at full whack. I have read the specs and apparently the A3 1.8T should match the cordy in every way performance wise, but it just felt boring.

What i would like is advice or input from people who have owned 2.0 16v's and 18t's and people who have driven an A3 1.8t and mk3 Cupra's.

The ibiza Mk3 is a great car, i love the look and the specification, but i find myself wondering whether the price premium is worth it for a car that has the same (less fun) performance as my current one. I wondered if the A3's weight may have held it back a little and this is why i didnt get such a buzz from it?

Any comments, feedback or suggestions welcome.

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
what do you want from the car?

1.8T is very different from anything i have ever driven previously. i only have an 8v cordy but its still very different from the Ibiza.

and the thing is you compared a 150bhp NA motor against a 150bhp turbo motor. in my opinion there is ever only gonna be one winner. what did you expect? much of a difference just cos of the turbo? likely hood is the NA is a fair bit quicker!

Ibiza wont be a great deal different than the A3. but a simple remap and all these things change!

now cordys are pretty fun! they have something special, i cant put a finger on it but its there. but if your after a relatively cheap but ultimately quick car with few modifications... the Ibiza is a quality car

PAUL HEV

Bananna Bomber!!
Sep 30, 2006
grasmere cumbria
i like my 1.8t ibiza alot! i ve had it 7months now (thats a long time for me) an i still like it alot no am used to the handling!i think you will find the ibiza a bit different to the a3 .

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
My mate has a standard a3 1.8t sport and its no comparison to my ibiza really...its no where near as fun. although my ibiza is tweaked and i don;t know if you would want to mod yours if you get one, it is such a good value for money car.

Before my ibiza I drove a 2.0 16v alfa 145 cloverleaf (which I loved but wrote off), and when I fisrt got my cupra (standard) i immediately fell in love with it. yeah its got its bad points like the slightly precarious handling but thats easily enough sorted...with a decent susp kit, rear spacers and arbs you'll be loving it.

I certainly can't think of a better or potentially fast car for the money ibiza cupra's are selling for these days...

Get one! :)

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
I had an mk2 2.0l 16v and moved up to a mk3 cupra, I found i enjoyed the mk2alot more as it seemed to have a bit more grunt, The mk3 cupra didnt feel as quick as the 16v im not sure it was because the mk3 was alot smoother but the sound and the feel of the ABF engine won it over for me then! BUT..... Now im pretty much ready to complete the k03s conversion meaning ive got everything bar the K03s i wouldnt get rid of at all. Its currently running 224bhp and approx 240lbsft of torque. Its quick bloody quick!

maybe there might be sombody in your area that could take you for a spin in a remapped ibiza? All you`ll need is a remap to start with on a ibiza and it would change your whole opinion on a standard one! ;)

David.

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
Ive got a mk3 and ive had it for about 18 months now, its on a standard map and i still love it, recently ive been out in a friends revo'd ibiza and its soo much quicker, now i just cant wait til i pull my finger out and fit my k03s and get it mapped, should be a whole load of fun and bring the life back into the ibiza abit.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Cheers for all the input guys, i have been having a think about this and i have come to the conclusion that because my Cordoba isnt as refined and is rawer than the A3 1.8t that it seems that little bit quicker and more connected with the driver as you can hear and feel everything, although if the cars went side by side i am sure they would probably finnish closely. T

he A3 did a very good job of making everything smooth and relaxed, especially with the suspension, its good for people who have the car to get them there in the most comfort, but not for those like me who like to feel and hear everything that the car is doing.

I think what i have to do now is find a standard MK3 Cupra and take that for a drive as i may have made the mistake by driving the heavier A3........... So whose got one for me to try??? :whistle:

godzuki

Mk2 cupra & golf mk2 20vt
Sep 11, 2006
Newcastle upon tyne
I had a drive in a AMD chipped A3 the other day, it felt "ok"it rev'd quite well (which suprised me) but it seemed to lack torque & was quite laggy (also done 100k ) the car also had leather which weighs a bit.
In contrast i have driven a mk4 Ibiza (150bhp FR) which was very torquey but ran out of puff at about 5k
I think the turbo and whatever remap you choose are responsible for the way these engines behave! (i know the A3 does have a large port head mind)

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
I think what i have to do now is find a standard MK3 Cupra and take that for a drive as i may have made the mistake by driving the heavier A3........... So whose got one for me to try??? :whistle:

That sounds like a good plan mate! If you enjoy a standard one theres no doubt that you will love a remapped one and thats before anymore mods:p

If your anyway near Oxford you can have a spin in mine! Mind you its quite a way from standard, Very enjoyable all the same :p

David.

Steve GTI

Feb 26, 2007
Standard ibiza feels boring, so so very boring, there is no kick from the turbo, it just feels flat and not inspiring, drive a remapped one and you'll have the biggest smile on your face! The boost just comes in and chucks you back, the first test drive i had in mine a year or so back was unbelieveable! If you get a standard one the first thing you want to do is get it remapped, otherwise you'll end up selling it if your used to having a fun 16v screamer.

nick s

256bhp & 282lbs/ft
Dec 9, 2005
my cupra is 256bhp, fast, but nowhere near as involving or fun as my old cammed 106gti. hence why i'm selling it soon and getting a lotus elise :D