Roof bar fitting...

d.e.hill

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, so any help you can give would be much appreciated!

I've just bought a late 1999 toledo (mkII, 1.9 TDI, 110bhp), and am thrilled with it! What a great car! :clap:

My question's to do with roof bars. I fancy buying a set of SEAT roof bars (I'm into kayaking), and there's a few on ebay. Having had a look at my mates (slightly later) Leon though, he has different built in attachments to mine.

He has threaded holes, which the roof bars screw into. Mine, when the plastic covers in the black rails are removed has got short squared off sections of pipe in the four places above doors running parallel with the black strip. These are only a couple of inches long, and look like something from roof bars hooks around into it, clamping them on.

My question then is, are these different types of fittings for Leons and Toledos? Or is it a universal change, dependant on the age? I'd have thought they'd be the same fitting as they're basically the same car! :wtf:

Any help you can offer before I bid on anything on ebay would be great!

Cheers, Dave

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
i do have a pair which i would be willing to sell. if you are interested IM. they are from a 1999 toledo SE which has the squarey fitting bits

d.e.hill

Hey mate, indeed I would be interested!

I can't work out how to PM you on this (I'm a newbie!), sorry!

How much do you want? What part of the country are you in?

Cheers
Dave

d.e.hill

Sorry mate, I'm a starving student and I'm broke after buying my toledo, so I don't have that much money about!

Thanks anyway!

redv5

Sep 3, 2002
Hampshire
Roof Bars

I too have some roof bars suitable for an early model Toledo MK2.

Let me know if you're interested as I not after £80.

Oh I'm Hampshire/Surrey based.

d.e.hill

Wow, lots of offers! I definately need a set, and I'd rather get them from you guys than SEAT/Ebay...!

Are they the SEAT ones that hook into the mounting points as I rather badly described above?

I have about £35-40 (total, including P&P) to spend... Sorry it's so low, I'm really tight on cash at the minute, and I'm not sure I fancy some of the £30 "retro fit" ebay ones :(

redv5

Sep 3, 2002
Hampshire
Mine are the non-screw in type. I bought them for among other things carrying my Kayak.

They're pretty much mint condition. £40 would be OK.

Where are you based as might be able to save on postage.

d.e.hill

redv5,
Got your PM, sounds great, just let me know when you've worked out about postage, and I'll get the money straight off. Tried to PM you again tonight, but it says you can't accept them for some reason? Full inbox maybe?

Cheers mate,
Dave

redv5

Sep 3, 2002
Hampshire
My account should all be sorted now I had to update my email account.

Let me know your address by PM or emailvand I can post them off.( If I've interpretted Royal Mail correctly they should only cost about £7, so if we agree £40 that'll be fine.)

Mathias

Funny this should come up. I just bought the whole roof-bar kit from Thule and five minutes ago I discovered that it doesn't fit. I have a total of eight plastic covers on my Seat Toledo -99/00 (MK II) and the kit that I got from Thule is made for four threaded holes. According to Thule I'm supposed to have the 3020-kit and the cardbox is marked Seat Toledo 98-06. Strange. :think: Can someone tell me what Thule mounting-kit is needed so that I can go back to my store and change to the proper one? Gotta have this on before tuesday too!

d.e.hill

This is the problem I've come across to, which is why I've been so specific with the description.

As far as I'm aware, the threaded ones are only for the Leon (only known from seeing friends), and all my mate's toledos have the square hook type ones. Someone with more knowledge about the range might be able to correct/elaborate?!?

As far as the correct thule fitting kit goes, I don't know, but if you start a new thread soemone might be able to help!

Dave

Mathias

D.E. Do you have a total of four plastic covers or eight as I do?
Bought a new kit today from Thule which didn't fit either as it must have been for the first version of the Toledo. My car is a September -99 1,6l "Stella".

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
i have a 99 1.8 SE and I have 8 holes in the rails that are rectangular 2 on each side at front and back.

redv5

Sep 3, 2002
Hampshire
I believe you probably need roof bars with part No. 1M0 071 126.

Which oddly enough I've got for sale.

They fitted my 99 Toledo V5.

They are suitable foor Toledo MKII which have 8 plastic covers which prise out rather than the 4 metal covers which pivot out and into which the roof bars screw.

d.e.hill

That's the way mine are, 8 rectangular holes, into which the roof bars hook rather than screw. From the looks of it, this is something they changed about 2000 (mines 1999).

Maybe we should start an alliance, against those new fangled screw threaded boys! :clap:

Does anyone know why they changed them? Please tell me it wasn't a safety thing? :whistle:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.