Friendly warranty dealer, ref clutch & remap?

-c-

Hopefully I can pool some usefull info here.

Have an '05 FR TDI, with a remap, done 18k & it's slipping as they all seem to eventually. Probably down to my good lady's driving style (holding it on a hill on the clutch & giving it death down down the rev range :rolleyes: )

So, question is, with the grey area surrounding clutches being a 'consumable' who would be best to go to? Obviously I'll use the SPS & revert it back to standard before it goes in, but a bill of circa £500 would best avoided if possible.

The local Seat dealer in Southampton is next to useless, so ideally if anyone has any experience of others, it would be a great help.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

monkeyboy123987

Aug 2, 2005
I would speak to Seat UK, I did when my clutch was slipping! get a reference number and name who you spoke to and then contact your dealer! The difference between your problem and mine is that I only had the car 2 weeks when the problem started.

schnipps

Apr 17, 2006
Tricky one, i was in the same position about 5 months ago. Clutch slipped when remapped, in the end i didnt want to risk it and got the map taken off. Then after a month it started to slip in standard, thing was it only did it from cold and if you booted it. The dealer couldnt see the problem atall and its only because i knew a few people at a main dealer did i manage to get it stripped down. It was a pressure plate in the end, but i have stayed away from the remap now beacause of this as the standard clutches just cant handle it.

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Depending on where you got the map from, it can be adjusted to limit the torque to stop the slipping.

Although, I did get a Sachs clutch kit after mine started slipping, and then got a more aggressive map put on it, and now it's fantastic, I can't believe the difference in the extra power :D

Not sure the dealers would replace a clutch ? Only one way to find out.......

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Have a word with the company who hold your warranty (phone their claims line if necessary) and find out if you have to have the work done at a Seat garage. Ask if it's OK to take it to a decent garage of your choice to have the work done and for them to invoice the warranty company after.

I did this when I had a problem with my LCR and I took it to JKM. They diagnosed the problem and fixed it for me and sent the bill to the warranty company.

The reason I suggest this, is they will be sympathetic to the fact it has been remapped and should also be able to get hold of aftermarket as well as OEM products. So if they suggest a stock replacement is going to die just as quickly, you'll at least have other options :)

Mister_E

Jun 12, 2006
Tricky one, i was in the same position about 5 months ago. Clutch slipped when remapped, in the end i didnt want to risk it and got the map taken off. Then after a month it started to slip in standard, thing was it only did it from cold and if you booted it. The dealer couldnt see the problem atall and its only because i knew a few people at a main dealer did i manage to get it stripped down. It was a pressure plate in the end, but i have stayed away from the remap now beacause of this as the standard clutches just cant handle it.

I had the same situation where the clutch slipped whilst remapped and slipped after the map was taken off. SEAT in Camberley were really good about it, they couldn't replicate the fault but did say they didn't drive the car as hard as I have to get the slip and were ordering the parts under warranty anyway. I did state that it would especially happen after I'd been cruising, was at 2000rpm in 4th or 5th and put my foot to the floor. I also said I'd sought advice, which suggested it might be oil contamination.

They ordered a clutch, fly wheel and oil seal. Fitted it under warranty and the clutch feels miles better than it did when I picked the car up with 5.5k on the clock from the SEAT dealer! MPG has also improved by an average of 4mpg per tank.

lurk

clutch slipping

wonder if any1 can help me ye..iv got a cupra r remapped by jabbasport to 280bhp and clutch slipped the other day and nw car has lost power

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members