It never rains....

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
....but it pours :(

I'm feeling sorry for myself at the moment as this LCR of mine is going to cost me a small fortune, money I haven't got :(

I've got my 40k service coming up in a couple of weeks, so that's £230 plus about £30 to have the DogBone mount fitted.

Plus I've had a feeling my brakes were getting close to the point where they needed to be changed. I've just been out this morning to take a look at them in more detail and sure enough there is a fair bit of a lip on the front discs, so it looks like those will need going too. Bye bye another £400.

Then in the process of looking at the brakes, I noticed something didn't look right on my front tyres. Took the front wheel off and, yup, uneven tyre wear. The middle section is bald but the outer edges are fine. I had a feeling this wasn't unheard of on the Rossos, even with the perfect tyre pressures, so just had a quick search and sure enough it's a common thing for the standard tyres. There is no way I want two different makes of tyre on the car and there is even less chance of me putting new Rossos on there... so that'll be £400+ for four new tyres then :(

So that's going to be pushing a grand or more in the next month and the only 'nice' thing about it is I'll be able to get GSD3's and DS2500's on there along with the new mount. Lucky me :(

jonnie5

Seat Leon FR+
Mar 14, 2007
Rosyth
Its an expesive thing running a flash car. Every car comes to a point where its just more than servicing. And servicing and tyres together can be expensive. I't jst one of those things

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Wanna pay it for me? ;)

It is indeed one of those things... just always seem to happen all at the same time!

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
....£30 to have the DogBone mount fitted....

.... only 'nice' thing about it is I'll be able to get GSD3's and DS2500's on there along with the new mount. Lucky me :(
If money is tight have you considered just using stock parts rather than high spec expensive ones? How about having a go at doing your brakes youself, that will save you a stack of cash. Its easy and I'm sure there are people in your area that could help out if you got stuck.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Neither of those are as expensive as OE parts, and both perform considerably better.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
If money is tight have you considered just using stock parts rather than high spec expensive ones? How about having a go at doing your brakes youself, that will save you a stack of cash. Its easy and I'm sure there are people in your area that could help out if you got stuck.

The tyres are a similar price as the standard equivalent ones, but perform a lot better and are a lot safer. The current front ones on my car have lasted less than 6k miles and are now, IMO, not safe. Not great value for money really.

The brakes will be plain discs and DS2500 pads which actually work out £50 cheaper than using Seat OE discs and pads. As for fitting them myself and saving a load of cash... that would save me £25. The price I've been given for parts only is £365 and the fitted price for the same parts is £390. So since my car is in for it's service anyway, £25 is a bit of a bargain to have them done there and then by a Pro. I'm quite happy to do them myself, but the £25 is worth it IMO.

And the dogbone mount isn't that expensive, so not really going to influence anything here.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Bummer Rob - but I'm in a similar boat at the moment.

2 new front tyres = £200
Random wheel wobbling/pulling to the left issue needs sorting asap = ???
Car Insurance = £400+
90k service = £150 ish
Spark plugs probably required too (£40)
New Windscreen = £60 excess

Adding the above to the £700 holiday this month, and the house move costs (£££'s) means I'm totally skint.

Which is why I'm now selling a load of mods from the car :(

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Was going to say, if you're in for a service they'll have the pads out anyway so it won't take much to undo a few extra bolts to replace the rotas and put the new pads in on re-assembly ;)

The DS pads are excellent, you won't be disappointed :)

As my dad says when I keep on about having to spend out on the LCR - "well, you will buy these powerful sports cars" :p lol

I remember the good old days of cheap motoring... £20 to fill the tank (which lasted over a week!!), change from £50 for 2 new tyres, full service & new discs & pads for under £100... :rolleyes:

August was an expensive month of the year I always used to dread as that's when I bought my house & my car - all my insurances due at the same time, car tax, service & tyres due about then... not to mention it being 'holiday season' as well :(

It's not quite as bad now as I had 2 months free with my last car insurance & I bought my LCR in November so tax isn't needed until then, so it's a little more spread out... still expensive though...

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Pabs... that's a bad list! Especially if you're considering selling the car. It's always more painful spending out money on a car when you know you wont get the full benefits from it.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
You ought to keep a more regular eye on these things - no surprises that way, and with things like tyres it gives you a much clearer idea of how long they have left.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I do to be honest. I've been aware of the brakes for some time... they aren't really bad, I'm just conscious of the fact that they are going to need doing soon. And the tyres looked fine until I took the wheels off, so that did catch me out a little. The rear tyres still have a good 6k+ miles on them and the sides of the front tyres (i.e. what you can see when they are on the car) look like they have plenty of life left.

I was going to switch the front and rear wheels over to balance out the tyre life so they all die together, as the fronts would be fine on the rear for a long while yet. But that's gone down the pan now.

NeilC

Has left the fold...
Mar 23, 2004
somewhere else
I've still got some barely used (like 2 weeks worth!) grooved brembos in me garage you can have for not a lot. Say £175?
I've still got some upper hoses that were never picked up to :hints at liam: that'd match your tip nicely ;)

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
bummer rob. mines about to mis-shape my wallet shortly.

but.... before i bought the leon i had a bad car and hated driving. it was a chore.
now i love driving and my knowledge of cars and how they work has grown over the past 3 years. i`m happier for it.

money well spent in my case. although like my bank manager and my better half, i wish it wouldnt all come at once.

how long before the knees ok?

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Rob, I had to double look at my tyres the other day.

Standard yes, I bought the car with only 2500 that was done it's first year so I doubt the driver was a loon. I have only put it up to 5500 now and noticed mine look bald in the middle also? and theres a good bit left on the edges...

WTF?, the pressures as for as long as i've had it been kept to 33 Psi all round.
I thought uneven tyre ware in the middle was over inflation?

Or are these standard tyres just ****? I didn't expect to replace them this soon. :(

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden
Ouch....but then again the LCR is not a cheap car to run. I have had mine 2.5 years and and have had to fork out for 3 sets of front tyres, 1 set of rear tyres and 2 sets of front brake pads, on top of the servicing, insurance and fuel costs. In the process of selling mine as I don't fancy forking out for cam belt, clutch and exhaust which will shortly need some attention. Great car though.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I've still got some barely used (like 2 weeks worth!) grooved brembos in me garage you can have for not a lot. Say £175?
I've still got some upper hoses that were never picked up to :hints at liam: that'd match your tip nicely ;)

Neil... hold that thought, I'm just off out for the evening but will PM you when I get back! ;) :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise