Doubts about venting

RuiD

Hi,

I've just read about venting and I'll give it a try. However I have a doubt. Without venting when I fill it up the pointer always points to full tank. If what people say it's true (about not really getting the tank completely full) than shouldn't the pointer stop a bit before full tank? I've read about 25% less, but I guess that's exagerating:think:

I also have a Picasso and when I fill it up and it stops at full tank, in fact the gas meter indicates it's close to full tank, but it's not really full. This should also happen to Ibiza's gas meter, don't you think?

RuiD

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
the gauge is a very rough estimate as stated abouve the fuel level gauge will just stay at the top for longer

(mine certainly doesnt stay full for long even when venting :lol:)

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
But if you fill the expansion space, wont any vapours realised by the fuel cause the preasure to build up in the fuel tank. Could this cause any problems?

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
petrol exspands alot! less than diesel i do belive so us petrol heads are ok :lol: and it would need to reach very high temperatures to cause a major problem!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
But if you fill the expansion space, wont any vapours realised by the fuel cause the preasure to build up in the fuel tank. Could this cause any problems?

don't vent and leave the car sat in the boiling sun all weekend or you may have a petrol puddle under your car

only vent if you intend to drive some miles that day

last time I vented mine the pump started clicking at £28 and after 3 vents I was up to £36 and stopped cos I wasn't sure I had enough cash in my wallet to cover it :rolleyes:

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
I filled my tank from empty yesterday and using the vent method of holding the valve in whilst filling i maaged to squeeze £50 of diesel in - 53.25 litres! Done around 100 miles on that day and no sign of the needle moving yet!

Venting is great, especially if going on a long journey, saves stopping every 400 miles, I can get 600 out a vented tank, hopefully as it runs in I'll get the magic 700 - though not heard of that in a while - anyone managed it recently?

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
700 miles easy! do it every tank :whistle: i was pleased with my 230miles from a vented tank! :cartman:

Last edited:

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
lol 400 miles per tank most i have ever done on 1 tank is about 312 and thats vented lol i'm trying to train my foot not to push so hard lol

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
just thought I'd add to this one

vented mine yesterday, the tank was on exactly half, vented as I filled and got £30 in the tank :-o

drove from Southampton to Leicester and back (260 miles) and the tank is now showing exactly half again, the needle didn't move off of full for about 110 miles

average mpg showed as 37.7 and I was on the cruise all the way and kept to about 75 mph which is 3k revs

£30 @ 94.9 per liter and I did 260 miles this works out to be 37.4 so my fuel computer is pretty good I think

I'm well happy as I don't normally drive it very far

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.