2.0 170 - any tuning limitations apart from DPF ?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
OK so I understand that currently, the tuning options for the 2.0 170 TDI are limited due to problems with the DPF.

It's been suggested in another thread that a couple of tuners are looking at replacement DPFs to get round the problem.

If the DPF problem were solved - are there any other known tuning limitations of this engine, or could we be looking at a reliable 210-220bhp from a remap ?

golisago

OK so I understand that currently, the tuning options for the 2.0 170 TDI are limited due to problems with the DPF.

It's been suggested in another thread that a couple of tuners are looking at replacement DPFs to get round the problem.

If the DPF problem were solved - are there any other known tuning limitations of this engine, or could we be looking at a reliable 210-220bhp from a remap ?

Yes problem solved there shouldn't be any trouble in achieving 220/230hp........i'm not sure at this time how far off the larger injectors are going to be before they are released.......but they will become available.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
the injectors on the 170 are piezo ones,,, seeing how long it did take for the PD large ones to come out [still quite rare to say it all] I'd be concerned about getting uprated piezos once you've maxed out the stock ones,,,

out of curiosity lee, why you asking? is there something on the shopping list?

RichardBW

Jan 9, 2002
Leamington Spa
dpf is not an issue to tuning if the remap is good to start with. However there is one other massive problem when trying to get a good increase out of these.
Lots of tuners are still trying to solve it so there is still a degree of secrecy as to the problem.
Dont waste time trying to hack off the dpf though. The limit is in the ecu sw and a certain sensor??????????????? : )

RichardBW

Jan 9, 2002
Leamington Spa
I know of several remap companies not releasing software as they are struggling to get 15-20bhp gains. If you want to believe a plug in box can do a better job then its up to you. 34bhp is quite some claim on this car/engine :rolleyes:

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
I know of several remap companies not releasing software as they are struggling to get 15-20bhp gains. If you want to believe a plug in box can do a better job then its up to you. 34bhp is quite some claim on this car/engine :rolleyes:

I am no diesel expert but if you can get a140 to map to 185 then is it not conceivable to map a 170 to 200?
And i know of one Passat TDi 170 mapped to the 200 level.Mitrashark has also mapped his car to over 200, granted there were issues but so far he hasn't any other probs.But with VW using the 170 engine as their favoured diesel engine whoever cracks the mapping will probably be onto a good thing.

RichardBW

Jan 9, 2002
Leamington Spa
I dont think you can assume this engine will get the same gains as all the previous VAG TDI as this is already a slightly tuned version of the 140 with only small modifications in both sw and hw. I think VAG rushed this one out due to the competition from Ford/Honda/etc. Basically there is not the same room for tuning on these as the previous TDI engines.
No doubt the issues with the tuning will be cracked soon : ). So far all the cars I have seen tuned run like c**p, they make near 200bhp but have holes everywhere that make them pretty much undriveable. The fact they have swapped from Bosch to Siemens ECU's also screws up the VAG tuners a bit as the language in the maps is quite different.

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
still a 30hp gain is quite low if you consider that a 130 can be chipped no prob to ~180/190hp,,,

That's true.., but JD is always very conservative with his values ;)
He has already chipped a 2.0TDI (170bhp) without the DRF up to 229bhp and 440+nm of torque [B)]

I hope that i will have 220+bhp when my DRF is removed and the full sport exhaust is fitted :rolleyes:

George K

Who is JD and are there any problems in running without the DPF?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.