~400 miles per tank

jtmac

Oldman, Viking, jiege01, Pay attention ;)

Clues that Phil Beeza isn't talking about a Leon.
1 his name (phil BEEZA),
2 His avatar
3 He mentions it's a mk 4

Phil,
Ibiza has a 45 litre tank so depending on how close to empty you are leting it get before you fill up you are probably doing something between 40 and 45 MPG.

40 is a bit rubbish for an Ibiza TDI IMHO but 45 is ok-ish. I'm getting 43mpg with supermarket diesel in an Altea. An Ibiza should do better than that.

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
is there a better diesel than supermarket?

i let it do the scary beep, very soon after that my remaining display is 15 miles, my drive to work is about 5 miles of motorway junction so i just fill it all the way up

Kendo

The Kit Car Man
May 15, 2005
erskine
I used to fill up at sainsbury's to get my nectar points. Switched back to shell cos the petrol station is round the corner and found the car to run better on there fuel and have slightly more poke.

Jon Legge

Leon has a 55 litre tank. Only ever managed to squeeze in around 52 litres though even when the red light has been glowing away at you!!

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
i follow ya. supermarket as opposed to bp/shell etc.

my saxo had noticeably more punch when i filled up on super unleaded

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Oldman, Viking, jiege01, Pay attention ;)

Clues that Phil Beeza isn't talking about a Leon.
1 his name (phil BEEZA),
2 His avatar
3 He mentions it's a mk 4

Well, my name's Viking but I don't sail a longboat, yknow. :p and the car in my avatar is written off, so that's no clue to anyone.

Anyway, I'm new to this Seat stuff, but I'll pick it up.

Just for the record, I had over 900 miles out of a tank in my PD130 Bora ;) so 400 out of an Ibiza is wrong somehow.

jtmac

I've never found any difference but a lot of people on here say you'll get further on Shell/BP/Esso than ASDA/Tesco/JS diesel. (not getting into whether or not it's better for the engine?) It might be worth taking a note of the mileage and litres at each fill up and doing the maths, then trying another type of diesel and doing the same.

I'd have thought you should have more than 15 miles after the first beep and the light coming on. Unless you this is when the gauge is right on Zero.

Like jon in post 24, I've never managed to squeeze the full 55 litres in (without venting). so either my tank isn't the full 55 litres, or the pump stops early, or (and this is my suspicion) there is still 2-3 litres in there when you are sweating, praying that you'll make it to the nearest filling station.

p.s. Hi Viking, just kidding with you, very impressed by 900 miles out of a tank! doubt that could be done in an Altea, well I don't think I'll ever manage it. Need a lighter right foot ;)

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
I have tried BP, Shell and Esso diesel. For my Bora (130PD), the Esso fuel gives the best balance between economy and power. I find Shell gives good power and poor economy. BP offers average economy but poor power delivery.
I stay away from the supermarket diesels.

My car (which is remapped) returns about 50mpg on my 33 mile work run, which is mainly A roads and Mways. If there is constant stop start traffic, then it will fall to an average of 43mpg.

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
It depends on your run too don't forget.

From the gf's to town I get 90mpg but by the time I've got from town up to mine it's down to around 45mpg. That's living in Yorkshire for ya!

jamesy

JMM
Nov 5, 2006
portsmouth (waterlooville)
Well, my name's Viking but I don't sail a longboat, yknow. :p and the car in my avatar is written off, so that's no clue to anyone.

Anyway, I'm new to this Seat stuff, but I'll pick it up.

Just for the record, I had over 900 miles out of a tank in my PD130 Bora ;) so 400 out of an Ibiza is wrong somehow.

wow 900 miles! you must have did a constant 900miles drive downhill on a motorway lol :lol:
im on course for around 600ish miles from 50litres atm, mfa 2 is reading 60mpg over the last 435miles

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
Round these parts Shell and ASDA fuel is exactly the same price, is the Syupermarket stuff any cheaper elsewhere in the country?

There is also a BP garage nearby however it's usually 2p a litre more expensive than the Shell. I always use Shell fuel due to it being cheaper and better than supermarket stuff.

and a couple of shots of Millers for good measure!

Anyone here got an opinion on Shell vs BP derv?

vwpologti

Jun 25, 2006
900 miles is great! but does the bora not have a bigger tank?!?

i can only get around £37 max in my tdi. but get lots more the 400 miles
if i do a trip. best i had yet was 215mile on £15 :)

60mph max on motorway

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Yeah, I managed to squeeze just over 64 litres into the Bora tank, and it was getting close to running out. We were going on holiday, so the car had 4 people in, and a full boot of luggage. Made it from Scotch Corner to Denmark, south of Copenhagen and still had half a tank left. I managed nearly 72mpg on the run down to the ferry at Harwich. On Morrisons fuel with a shot of Millers.

So 400 miles from an Ibiza tankfull is not good, considering the lighter weight of the car.:confused:

vwpologti

Jun 25, 2006
yeah but as iv said you can maybe fit around £65 in the bora!

in the ibiza you can only get £37-£40 and with it only doing 400miles
that must be town driving! or he has the aircon on!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
I know what you're saying but the Ibiza is over 250Kgs lighter than the Bora, so it should be way better on economy. Stated figures are of circa 44mpg, and I never got down that low in mine.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
yeah but as iv said you can maybe fit around £65 in the bora!

in the ibiza you can only get £37-£40 and with it only doing 400miles
that must be town driving! or he has the aircon on!

The ibiza can have up to about 55-56l squeezed into its supposed 45l tank, just use venting and run it right down till 0 miles left and then a little more, so you can get more than the £40 you say, i regularly put in £50+

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
I think the problem is the 5 mile journeys, the engine won't be getting up to temp and economy is poor whilst the engine is cold. For that sort of use a petrol car is far better suited.

vwpologti

Jun 25, 2006
some times my mk4 ibiza gets a low as 0 miles left and i have not ever got more then £40 in!

id say on £40 if i was doing 60mph on the motorway on a long run i could get 600 out the tank and mine is remaped.

im going to cornwall sunday and its going to take me 270miles to get there
so i will let you lot know what i get out of the tank.

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
I regularly put £50 of diesel in (93.9p per litre at the moment). Are you using the venting method? When the pump 1st clicks off, push in the valve in the filler neck and hold it in whilst you continue to fill. Just keep an eye out for the fuel coming up the filler neck!

vwpologti

Jun 25, 2006
I regularly put £50 of diesel in (93.9p per litre at the moment). Are you using the venting method? When the pump 1st clicks off, push in the valve in the filler neck and hold it in whilst you continue to fill. Just keep an eye out for the fuel coming up the filler neck!

niceone didnt know that! is it safe? mite give this a try...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members