Poll-fan fuse on battery melted/replaced or not?

My fan fuse on battery has melted/been replaced

• yes

Votes: 108 70.6%
  • no

Votes: 45 29.4%

• Total voters

flooky

mine as melted 3 times now, yesterday was when i realised it had gone again... tho it's not melted all over the place so was just a case of replacing the fuse.

djkobra

just thought id quickly cheak before i said no and one of them has gone
CIMG4147.jpg

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Well, as no one is signing up to the petition that was started I will try to find an appropriate email address for Seat UK and direct them to this thread. Given that many owners will have had the problem but not be members here or not have posted up this is the tip of an iceberg. It will probably not do any good given dealer responses to the issue, but I don't see how they can just ignore this. Some people have had this thing go on lots of different occasions, some with more serious consequences than others.

I'm sure other components in my engine bay didn't appreciate getting barbecued and it's plain wrong that we should have to fork out to put things right with what is essentially a design fault and one frankly that deserves a recall and a solution.

Dormouse

Available In Race Blue
Knackered air con rad fan then? If that happens it draws to much current through the dual cooling fan system behind the radiator and fries the fuse on slow boil. Problem is, the air con fan is not cheap and you have to remove most of the front of the car to change it.

You can change fuse boxes till the cows come home. it will keep happening. Change the fan and bingo.....

Dor.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Just sent email to Seat UK requesting that someone senior look at this thread and give me their response.

I'll let you guys know what comes of it in due course.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Well, Seats response kind of relates to what Dor posted above. I'm still not totally convinced though.

Here's their response:

After investigating your enquiry with SEAT UK's Technical Department, they have advised that they have had isolated incidences/reports of this nature in the past, however, upon investigation it has been determined that the cause of the concern is not related to the vehicle wiring or fuse/fuse box . The main reason for the fuse/fuse box to heat up is because the cooling fan is constantly running due to the fact that the engine is overheating which is often not picked up by the customer. Therefore, further investigation into the cause of overheating is required. Once the root cause of the engine overheating is rectified the cooling fans will no longer run constantly therefore, the fuse and fuse box will no longer heat up.

I hope this information is of help to you, however, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me

Having rerouted the fan fuse my fan has been switching on and off as normal so I'm not sure that the fan "constantly running" was the cause. Anyone else got opinions on this?

Deejay

no prawn sarnies ere
Nov 8, 2002
ЯEPUБLIC OF MANCUNIA
Knackered air con rad fan then? If that happens it draws to much current through the dual cooling fan system behind the radiator and fries the fuse on slow boil. Problem is, the air con fan is not cheap and you have to remove most of the front of the car to change it.

You can change fuse boxes till the cows come home. it will keep happening. Change the fan and bingo.....

Dor.

nope, thought that myself.....naturally began looking for a fault with the AC fan circuit, but upon closer inspection of the remnants of the 30A fuse it was actually still intact, ie; it still gave a continuity reading despite being a charred and now partially melted into the fuse box itself.

For me the fuse box where the 30A fuse is housed is either not seating the fuse correctly due to poor design, or the fuse contacts are at a lower braking capacity to the 30A fuse..........thought the fuse suppose to be the weakest link in an electrical circuit[B)]

Gonna see if I can get hold of a clip on anmeter to see what the AC fan pulls on full.

Ninja

Cupra now gone :(
Oct 1, 2005
Reading
www.peugeot-gti.net
just read this entire thread and no part number listed :( Checked the parts section on the FAQs and no part number there either :(

Can anyone help me out please? Need to get one ordered tomorrow if possible!! Yep its happened to me too!

dave_6

Apr 26, 2005
Essex
mines just gone, lost traction control

then limp mode and engine management light came on

found the fuse to be detroyed completely

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.