Front Speakers in LCR (54 reg)

Juddster

I'm replacing the SEAT HU with an Alpine CDA-9833R and adding an Alpine 6 Disc CD/MP3 auto changer (CHA-S634) this week and have a couple of questions -

1. Does anyone know what power rating the existing front speakers are?
2. Will the new HU improve the sound or is it worth investing in some upgraded front components as well?
3. Want to add some THUMP at some stage. Anyone fitted a stealth shelf with a sub in? Do they work?

Cheers
Simon

54 Reg LCR in Emocion Red
B...I...G Smile :D :thumbup: :D on owners face :clap:

Craigc

Dec 9, 2004
Edinburgh
I think the speakers are less than 40 W, not sure the exact power though. I have a 50W per channel JVC head unit and they seem OK

I think the different head unit made a big difference, some others think the standard one is fine

Stealth shelfs are Ok, but I would go for a sub, got a 12" one in mine. Defenate difference if you want a bit bass ...

Juddster

I want to try and keep the boot a free as possible hence the stealth shelf. I guess I could always try one of the stealth sub boxes? I do like a bit of bass so think it may have to be done.

Thanks for the advice.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Just adding a new HU does increase the quality of sound and many people are then happy running the standard speakers.

As for adding a sub, don't go for a shelf, not many subs are designed to run in free air any more, and they were never any good like that anyway.

Pete

Ju.

Oct 4, 2004
Bradford
You gotta get the sub box mate, I was going to go with a stealth shelf until I got this
2005_0328Image0027.jpg

The only down side is it covers the interior light and 12v socket, but it is the BEST solution

Julian

Juddster

Cheers Julian.

I saw your sub in another thread and it looks the business. Not too bothered about covering the 12v socket cause I guess if you need it you just move the box and I'm thinking maybe a neon could replace the interior light? Need to check if it can be wired into the existing light so it comes on when the boot is opened.

I've got a Kenwood KAC-849 4 channel amp which'll probably be mounted to the back of the seat and a Focal Access 27A sub (10" I think?) for the box.

Juddster

Cheers Pete.

I'll live the standard speaker for a while and just add the sub for now. That's what I thought re the shelf but good to hear it from someone in the know.

Ju.

Oct 4, 2004
Bradford
The screws do go into the back of the seat but only just, theres plenty of padding the other side.

Juddster, I've got an iceled tron wired to the original boot light, works well, comes on white at first then changes through different colours after about 20secs.

Julian

Juddster

Where did you buy it from & how much? Was it easy to wire into the original boot light?

Simon

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
Does the stealth box fit in with the original carpet in place? Surprising if it does, as there's shedloads of space begind the carpet that's been blocked off with polystyrine (I kid you not!!) that could be utilised for an enclosure...

The stock speakers in the Leon aren't that bad... but aren't that great either if you know what I mean. What I'd suggest is, when the time comes you whack in the sub, use the opportunity to add some good front components in there as well and really bump up the sound quality ;)

Ju.

Oct 4, 2004
Bradford
CupraR-Rog said:
Does the stealth box fit in with the original carpet in place? Surprising if it does, as there's shedloads of space begind the carpet that's been blocked off with polystyrine (I kid you not!!) that could be utilised for an enclosure...

The stock speakers in the Leon aren't that bad... but aren't that great either if you know what I mean. What I'd suggest is, when the time comes you whack in the sub, use the opportunity to add some good front components in there as well and really bump up the sound quality ;)

The stealth box fits in with the carpet in place and it is a really nice close fit
Agree with the speakers , I've put components in the front, sounds sweet now :thumbup:

Simon, I got the tron of ebay for £11 they retail at about £28, do a search I like it it works for me

Julian

Craigc

Dec 9, 2004
Edinburgh
Ju. said:
The screws do go into the back of the seat but only just, theres plenty of padding the other side.

Juddster, I've got an iceled tron wired to the original boot light, works well, comes on white at first then changes through different colours after about 20secs.

Julian

Did you have to drill the back of the seat ? I tried to screw mine to the seat but the screws wouldn't go in ! Will try again once my stealth box comes

Juddster

I have my HU/CD Changer & Amp being fitted tomorrow and just about to order a StealthBox to house my FOCAL Access 27A Sub. I think I'll wait and see how the speakers sound before I decide whether to upgrade or not.

I'll post some pics once I've got it all installed.

Simon

Ju.

Oct 4, 2004
Bradford
No it is a custom made box just for the leon which I bought from Autoacoustics

They do one for the Ibiza Mk2 and Mk3