Which is quicker.....

superhans

My 180bhp LC (totally standard, pre-facelift)

or

A 180bhp Pug 206 gti 180

I don't know too much other than the pug might be lighter?
The LC has a turbo?
The Pug has no turbo lag/gap etc.?
The Pug is 1 insurance group higher?

I followed one home the other day and he seemed to be shifting - I wasn't really going for it or trying to overtake. But just wondered where I would stand if I gave it some.

On the same topic, what other hatches out there are similar in performance to mine? And what are best left alone?

Cheers guys, I'm sure this will give you something to ponder.

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
I don't know to be honest, the Pugs 206 GTI's were never what the 205 GTI was. One of my mates used to have the 136bhp (IIRC) GTI and he could never beat me in my 1.6 16v Fiat Stilo Sport. Granted, I couldn't pull away from him either. I have never come across a 180 GTI though.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
LC should cruise past once past 60-70mph because of the torque from the turbo...not sure how light the gti is though.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
206 GTi 180:

Weight: 1125 KG
BHP: 180
LB/FT: 152
0-60: 7.5 sec
Max: 137 MPH

Leon Cupra / FR 20VT:

Weight: 1308 KG
BHP: 177
LB/FT: 173
0-60: 7.5 sec
Max: 142 MPH

Pretty evenly matched I'd say... in a straight line that is ;)

superhans

Yeah it certainly wasn't slow.

We were following a line of traffic at about 35mph and when he pulled out to jump up a place or two on the straights, it absolutely launched forward. I reckon he was dropping a gear or two as he only needed to accelerate for a bit before pulling back in.

Still impressive though, had me thinking anyway.

Mar 5, 2007
it's almost 200kg lighter. Which is almost a 20% weight increase.

That's going to count for A LOT.

skidder

BERK! FEED ME
Aug 9, 2006
Aberdeen
I had a go of my mates 180Gti for a few days. TBH I thought it would be faster than it was, being as its a bit lighter. Seemed like it needed to be kept high in the rev band to keep it going but they can shift!
I feel far safer in the LC at speed than the Pug, cracking seats in the 180's bar that the LC is far more comfortable and refined.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
the leon. French production says the bonnet will fly up and the guy wont see where hes going and slow down.

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
Sorry to say it mate, but the Pug would pull away from the LC fairly easily (assuming both drivers are of equal ability).. Reason I know, is that we had one for a weekend and did some side by side tests against our mates 210 LCR and there was nothing in it whatsoever... So the LC will struggle i'm afraid..

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
200KG is a big difference, that will make a sizeable difference to the power:weight ratio. On a rolling start the Leon will have an advantage due to it's higher torque, but it's not so much higher that it would walk away easily.

Handling will be interesting, but I think the lighter GTi might have the advantage there. They are quite well known for being a chuckable, agile car.

Sad to say it, but I think the GTi wins this battle. It's not the better car, but it is the faster one.

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
Just cause a car has a higher torque figure, doesn't make it quicker.. It's where it develops it's torque and for how long, that counts..
Sorry guys, but rolling start, standing start, round a track, the 206 will win... End of!

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Peugeot 206 GTi 180:

Engine Size................1997cc
Engine Assistance.......N/A
Engine Type...............4 cylinder
Gear Box....................5-speed manual
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Power........................180bhp
(rpm..........................@7000rpm)
Torque........................152lb ft
(rpm..........................@4750rpm)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0-60..........................7.1secs
0-100........................20.6secs
30-70........................7.1secs

Seat Leon Cupra R 210:

Engine Size................1781cc
Engine Assistance.......Turbo
Gear Box....................6-speed manual
Power........................210bhp
(rpm..........................@5800rpm)
Torque........................199lb ft
(rpm..........................@5000rpm)
0-60..........................6.5secs
0-100........................19.2secs
30-70........................6.0secs

The figures for the 206 GTi 180 & the LCR are not hugely different. Yes the turbo engine has a bit more torque, but it's a lot heavier & other things to consider are gearing (ratio's, 5 speed vs 6 speed etc) and the Pug will spin to higher revs in each gear.

If these figures (taken from AutoRoadTests.com) are anything to go by, an LCR would have a pretty tough time against a GTi 180, let alone a 180 Cupra.

As for handling, I had a 206 GTi (not the 180) and although the ride was less planted and felt a bit woolen at high speeds, it was a lot more "chuckable" than both the 180 FR I had previously and the LCR I have now.

I'd say the GTi 180 would be quicker in a straight line and round a track than a 180 Cupra/FR.

I actually very nearly bought one, but went for the FR instead. The GTi was a great car... when it worked :( Build quality wasn't anything special, and the lack of customer service put me right off.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
Peugeot 206 GTi 180:

Engine Size................1997cc
Engine Assistance.......N/A
Gear Box....................5-speed manual
Power........................180bhp
(rpm..........................@7000rpm)
Torque........................152lb ft
(rpm..........................@4750rpm)
0-60..........................7.1secs
0-100........................20.6secs
30-70........................7.1secs

Seat Leon Cupra R 210:

Engine Size................1781cc
Engine Assistance.......Turbo
Gear Box....................6-speed manual
Power........................210bhp
(rpm..........................@5800rpm)
Torque........................199lb ft
(rpm..........................@5000rpm)
0-60..........................6.5secs
0-100........................19.2secs
30-70........................6.0secs

The figures for the 206 GTi 180 & the LCR are not hugely different. Yes the turbo engine has a bit more torque, but it's a lot heavier & other things to consider are gearing (ratio's, 5 speed vs 6 speed etc) and the Pug will spin to higher revs in each gear.

If these figures (taken from AutoRoadTests.com) are anything to go by, an LCR would have a pretty tough time against a GTi 180, let alone a 180 Cupra.

As for handling, I had a 206 GTi (not the 180) and although the ride was less planted and felt a bit woolen at high speeds, it was a lot more "chuckable" than both the 180 FR I had previously and the LCR I have now.

I'd say the GTi 180 would be quicker in a straight line and round a track than a 180 Cupra/FR.

I actually very nearly bought one, but went for the FR instead. The GTi was a great car... when it worked :( Build quality wasn't anything special, and the lack of customer service put me right off.

but your stats there say the Cupra 210 is faste rin a straight line in all cases than the gti.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members