New V5 Owner

Deleted member 5241

Anyone had a 150 and a 170, not necessarily at the same time of course...

I've had a 150 and liked it a lot, had the same engine in 2 passats as well but always wished it wold rev a little better.

It would be interesting to read a like for like comparison of the two cars.

Stubill

Swine Bird !
Aug 13, 2002
The New Forest
Visit site
Yep, I've had both a 150 and a 170.

I would compare the 2 as a similar debate to the 8V v 16V.

150 10V has more low down grunt where as the 20V needs a bit
more revs to get the most from it. I could get the 10V off the mark quicker than
the 20V but then mid-range on the 20V would start to sing (plus of course the extra 20bhp helps).

Both are cracking engines, but for me personally the 150 10V just edged it with regards to engine character but all depends on what your preference is.

I would also say that the 10V is slightly nicer to drive in traffic, I personally found the 20V fly by wire throttle quite sensitive at times where as the 10V throttle cable does exactly what it says on the tin.

Hope that helps :)

vee5

Mines an 02 plate as well and doesnt have the electric folding mirrors and the memory seats - sounds like you've def got a standard 2002 170. Have fun...

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
Yep, I've had both a 150 and a 170.

I would compare the 2 as a similar debate to the 8V v 16V.

150 10V has more low down grunt where as the 20V needs a bit
more revs to get the most from it. I could get the 10V off the mark quicker than
the 20V but then mid-range on the 20V would start to sing (plus of course the extra 20bhp helps).

Both are cracking engines, but for me personally the 150 10V just edged it with regards to engine character but all depends on what your preference is.

I would also say that the 10V is slightly nicer to drive in traffic, I personally found the 20V fly by wire throttle quite sensitive at times where as the 10V throttle cable does exactly what it says on the tin.

Hope that helps :)

I've never driven a 10v before but I can vouch for the fact that the 20v is very revvy and the throttle response is very good.

Deleted member 5241

Stubill and BigFella, thanks for the answers. Sorry I dragged it off topic a bit, not bothered about the sat nav so I guess 10v it is.

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
I think it would be best if you got a couple of test drives. There are a few V5's around. Even it was to test the 150bhp Golf version just to see how the engine performs.

Deleted member 5241

Will do, although 50 mpg from my Toledo TDi is going to be difficult to give up

SHADY-NINJA

Feb 14, 2005
London
www.airconmedic.co.uk
Hi All,

Just wanted to say hello and ask a few questions that have come up since i collected my new (to me at least :)) V5.

I had an '06 Leon as a company car but new job and not wanting finance left me looking at older cars and saw a 2002 metallic green V5 with 29k and 1 owner under my budget.

Collected it tonight but have a few questions.

Under the bonnet is it easy to tell whether its a 150 or 170? I ask cos the numberplace comes up as a 150 but all the documents are down as a 170.

I thought they had folding mirrors but my mirror control switch doesnt have a folding position on it.

Erm cant think of anything else yet other than drove it 30 miles back home and its the smoothest easy cruiseing car ive ever driven, and you can get a right shove up the backside with it too!! AMAZING!!!

why not put us out of our misery and take a few snapshots of the engine bay to determine if it is a 20v or 10v

Har

Dec 15, 2002
Fife Scotland
Visit site
You think a 170 v5 sounds good standard you should hear mine with a sebring stainless back box,sounds like an audi quatrro rally car when it hits the limiter :p

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
There are defo tones of Audi Quattro to the engine...

Having said that i think most 5's sound like the Quattro because thats the one everyone knows!!

Deleted member 5241

I had an Audi 90 2.3 20v, that sounded gorgeous when I was giving it some beans. My V5 always soounded a bit muted I thought. My BM's always sounded nice though, every one was a 6 cylinder jobber.

Har

Dec 15, 2002
Fife Scotland
Visit site
sebring2.jpg

Har

Dec 15, 2002
Fife Scotland
Visit site
I had been looking for a back box for months and had been told sebring do a custom exhaust for vw golf and bora models,i got in touch with sebring and they told me they do not have one to fit the toledo,but this back box came up on ebay a couple of months ago of a 2002 bora v5 so i took a gamble at £100 got it and it fitted perfect, :)

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
Well its official - its 170.

I had a rummage under the bonnet and on fleabay there were photos of both a 150 and 170 engine.

It doesnt have HT leads over the cover and there are coil packs underneath it - so its a 170.

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
Spec list and model year

Hi there. It's a weird one, this spec list business. Mine's a 52-reg v5 150 and has the electric seats - without memory - SAT/NAV (hopeless with an old disc - abandoned me five miles from destination the other day) and the electrically folding mirrors, plus reverse sensors. There's obviously some crossover from one model year to the next.
Lovely sound the engine makes. Revving past 3500 is a bit of a guilty pleasure these days, though, because it knocks a hole in the fuel consumption - not good, especially if the aircon's on! Still, I never bought it for economy. Anyone had an LPG conversion? Can you still get money back from the government? Seems to me the boot's plenty big enough for a tank without reducing the capacity much, but conversions are still pretty expensive aren't they?