Folding mirrors

d.e.hill

Hey guys, I just found the folding mirrors on my new 1999 Toledo SE (1.9TDI 100bhp).

First time I tried them though, they seemed temperamental. They folded in well enough, but didn't want to go back out for a while. After a minute or two they moved back out of their own will, is this normal?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers, Dave

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Sounds typical for VAG electrics :rolleyes:

Could have been moved by hand at some point and just got out of sync. - probably nothing to worry about

They should fold out automatically when moving ... over about 10mph I think

healy6660

Right Old Giffer
Mar 30, 2007
Cumbria
Never heard that one before TIIEWL
Mines a 2004 110se and mine don't come out on their own
Dave if they don't move straight away, try tweaking the switch a little as the park position isn't as clear cut as it should be

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
Sounds like they have come mis-aligned due to some idiot having some fun :blink:

I did have a similar problem but it was intermittent. When I did an ECU reset (a must imo to get the best from your car) you have to fold them in and out to give them their full arcs. Might be worth doing.

d.e.hill

Being a big child, I decided to have a play yesterday. I couldn't get them to fold in when moving at all, it wasn't until I'd slowed down and stopped that they'd move in.

Not sure if there's an intermittant fault, there is some evidence for it though, but then sometimes (like above) I'm not sure if they're meant to do what I tell them for safety reasons! Safety makes diagnosing a fault hard!

How do I reset the ECU? Is there a DIY way (like disconnecting the battery...)? or is it a SEAT (£80 p/h) job?

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. I'll do some more experimenting over the next day or two.... :D

StuC

F1 Smart?
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
Maybe mine's just special :confused:

They certainly don't fold in at anything over 10mph

I glad to see that I am not the only one to try and fold them in over 10 mph.

Mine don't fold out on their own above that speed though.

d.e.hill

Having had a play today, mine don't go out on their own either. Liking the sound of the ECU reset though! :D

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
They should fold out automatically when moving ... over about 10mph I think

Figured this one out, so thought I'd better post an update to clear things up

If you leave the knob in the down position - as mentioned above - they don't fold out

but .... on mine, a couple of times since my first post, if they didn't fold out when stationary they have then popped out shortly after the car starts moving

Of course, sometimes they don't :censored:
Bloody electrics !

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
Sounds like they have come mis-aligned due to some idiot having some fun :blink:

I did have a similar problem but it was intermittent. When I did an ECU reset (a must imo to get the best from your car) you have to fold them in and out to give them their full arcs. Might be worth doing.

How is the ecu reset done?

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
... dissconect battery for 25-30 mins(big terminals under the second cover) then reconnect, turn ignition to 2(dont start just yet), press both elec window buttons fully so they auto wind down, when open press button fully again this teaches the ECU where the end of rails is for the glass. then pull buttons fully to wind up the pull fully again(if you have rear windows same process).
now start engine switch on all lights including fogs if you have em and also turn aircon/climate/heaters to full for 30 second the switch off every thing....

Or just disconnect the battery for a bit

d.e.hill

I'm thinking I like the sound of the Autowindow Reflex unit (makes your windows wind up and mirrors fold in when you lock the car, then unfold as you unlock it). Anyone got it fitted, what's the opinion?

Not entirely sure I can justify £74 just for this small luxury! Is there any other way to do it?

(apologies if you've read this twice, there's a similar post in the diagnostics thread)

Cheers,
Dave

Feb 22, 2006
Penzance Cornwall
if they have been knocked when they are folded out, when you fold them in next, they wont want to come out for a while, dunno if its for the motors to reset or wat, but thts usually why.

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
i have a 99 se and mine fold out at above 10mph of their own accord. it is definitely a must safety feature. nothing infuriates me more than people who drive along with their mirrors folded in!

DaftMule

I seem to remember that mine did something similar...folded in but couldn't immediately fold out again. The garage told me it was a "feature" but can't remember why now....twas a long time ago! Don't seem to have that prob now tho.

My only advice re electric mirrors on the Tolly is DO NOT TRY AND USE ELECTRIC FOLDING IF ONE MIRROR HAS BEEN KNOCKED THE WRONG WAY!!!!

...I did....was reversing out of a very tight drive and knocked one back. Like an idiot I then flipped the mirror switch round to fold. It took me about an hour to get them synchronised and folding the right way....nightmare.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members