Making a Cupra R Replica.

sixsr

Jun 18, 2006
I'm thinking of getting a Leon next, having had an A3, Golf and currently an Ibiza I thought I might as well try it. I'm not too bothered about having amazing peformance and was thinking of trying to get a Leon SE TDi and then fitting Cupra R front and Rear bumpers, lowering slightly and fitting a nice set of wheels.

Just wondering how much you reckon it'd cost for the bumpers including painting & fitting? Also, has anyone bought replica bumpers off the likes of eBay?

Any advice or photographs for inspiration would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Cupraloon

I wish I'd just spent the extra and got the Cupra R now Tbh, cos' by the time you've bought a non R, and spent another 3 or 4 grand on buying, fitting and painting all bits that make it look like one, it's probably cheaper, just to buy a Cupra R.

This what i'm starting to think, maybe next year.... an R then..

sixsr

Jun 18, 2006
I was kind of thinking that even looking at the price of a normal cupra. They seem to be about a grand more than simlarly aged SE TDi's.

Was there not a TDi version that looked similar to an R, but with 17" wheels?

name__taken

... Narrp?
Jan 11, 2006
Cambridge UK
www.soundclick.com
I wouldn't bother if I were you, since the New Cupra came out the LCRs have dropped in price a little, at least round my way. You may as well get the original, it'll probably cost you about the same and also you won't be embarassed at traffic lights when CTRs and 350zs try it on ;)

Still, if you're sure then i'd think you'd be looking at at least £2k for the kit plus fitting - I'm only guestimating though...

Last edited:

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Yeh similar, but then again, if i came up next to a Ferrari 355 and blew him away i'm gonna tell my mates but the guy with the MR2 with a dodgey kit on it ain't gonna be a cool cat,

moral of the story,

save your cash and get what you want, it makes sense!

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
I considered turning my FR 20VT into an LCR replica... bought a set of alloys from a Seat dealer (who used to be on here) for just over £500, new tyres for around £400, then £300 for a second hand front bumper, managed to get hold of a set of front & rear LCR Recaro's for about £500, got the black headlining, black trims, LCR steering wheel, gear knob & gaiter, handbrake cover & air vents for another £150 (ish), bought a Seat Sport back box with 6"x4" oval tail pipe for about £150... the front bumper I bought needed a respray, fitting kit, grilles & fog lights which would have been another couple of hundred... then there's suspension & brake upgrade, rear LCR bumper & of course a remap to get the power up to LCR levels... not to mention my insurance taking a hike each time I declared a mod...

After 6 months of FR ownership, I gave up & bought myself an LCR! The difference in price between a Cupra / FR and LCR is less than the cost of all the mods needed to make a decent "look-a-like" (unless it's a later FR TDi model which comes with the bumpers). Not only that, when I insured my LCR for the first time, I had a £68 rebate as it was cheaper to insure than my modified FR!

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Having said that though, whether you choose a Cupra / FR or an LCR, it's only a matter of time before you end up on the down hill slippery slope... :p I've spent well over a grand on my LCR already! lol (which compared to a lot of other people on here, isn't a lot!)

Last edited:

Timmbo71

Quit your jibber jabber!!
Sep 27, 2006
Leatherhead
just buy the real thing.. cant stand it when people try and make acar look more than it is, whats the point?? :shrug:.its like when the boy racers get a 1.0l corsa and put big wheels on it and a MASSIVE exhaust, its still only a 1.0l at the end of the day. So what i say is if you like the look of the LCR, get LCR... simple:D

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I bet the insurance on an LCR will be a fair whack cheaper than on a car with modified bodywork, suspension, wheels and brakes.

If the budget allows, try and find an FR+ as discussed above, but they were only available for the last year or so of the Mk1 Leon so still fetch a good price.

jamesy

JMM
Nov 5, 2006
portsmouth (waterlooville)
just buy the real thing.. cant stand it when people try and make acar look more than it is, whats the point?? :shrug:.its like when the boy racers get a 1.0l corsa and put big wheels on it and a MASSIVE exhaust, its still only a 1.0l at the end of the day. So what i say is if you like the look of the LCR, get LCR... simple:D

its not all about power though is it! some people many not need all the power of a big engine and need the more economical smaller engine or just want a car that looks good.

everyone has different views and at the end of the day its each to their own
(btw i dont like boy races, and i dont like the chavvy bodykits they have but again each to their own, if there happy with it let them be)

cupra_brown

Jul 27, 2005
i have a leopn cupra pre facelift. i was considering getting the cupra r kit etc to make it look like an lcr. Then i did my maths and realised it would be cheaper to buy an lcr!!!

i agree with the opinion that if you want a car that is like an lcr , buy an lcr ;)

thats why i will be getting a lcr in the next few weeks.......i cant smeggin wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:funk:

2toneturbo

i disagree somewhat, i have a 130 se tdi, its getting mapped to 180 next week and then i'm fitting the front and rear fr bumpers. It will be better than the stock FR for around 3K cheaper.

its not all about power though is it! some people many not need all the power of a big engine and need the more economical smaller engine or just want a car that looks good.

everyone has different views and at the end of the day its each to their own
(btw i dont like boy races, and i dont like the chavvy bodykits they have but again each to their own, if there happy with it let them be)

Agreed, good point well made. Everyone has their own taste, and should be left to do their own thing, lthough there are always a hardcore number of n0bs that insist on trying it on against far superior machinery....that I just can't understand.

I mean, I know my LC is slower than an LCR, CTR or an M3 or whatever.... so I don't make myself look like a tit by racing one! I still get amazed by the number of 17 year olds in 1.0l corsas that try and race me.... :cartman:

I remember one tailgating me on the A34, his sh1tmobile was obviously absolutely flat out and he was using my slipstream just to keep up....when it was clear I moved over and just knocked my cruise up by 1mph......hillarious!! :lol: (before you say it yes I know it was childish but was bl00dy funny!!) :whistle:

2toneturbo

but then someone maps there FR they'll win and they already have better breaks, bigger wheels, better interior, nicer exhaust!

i agree, but the reason i'm upgrading the bumpers is that the stock ones on the 130 look **** and i didn't have an extra 3K in my pocket for the FR ;)

2toneturbo

ah yes, I saw these kits before, not bad for £300!!

But then i've got to paint them and get the grills, so say 500ish

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
The only issue besides spraying would be the grilles.. (no big deal) and fog lights ( Bit of a B@stard in Price and only model specific - some other adaptions are available - but never the same fit)

I think there is nothing wrong with a nice replica ...

If you like it and not willing to invest in power you wont need ... why not.

It will look just as nice...

Psssst ...A lil secret .... the women wont even know the difference... [B)]

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise