Golf mk4 and LCR Suspension same???

c11rgd

Freshie
Sep 27, 2006
i know its probably been asked a million times and i have done searches but cant get a definite answer from someone who has tried and tested teh following.

if i was to purchase a coil over kit which was fitted to a MK4 golf gti turbo, would that kit fit to the LCR?

the reason i ask this and want an answer from someone who has done this is because in theory the rear on the LCR is the same as teh golf and teh front springs are teh same as the LC which is the same as the Golf, the only thing different are teh hubs, driveshafts and brakes.

im positive that the suspension strut and spring is the same. so with clarity can anyone answer this please.

Ju.

Oct 4, 2004
Bradford
The LCR has different suspension set up to all the other Leons. The rear is the same as the mk4 golf but the front is an audi tt setup. So in answer to the original question, it will NOT fit!

c11rgd

Freshie
Sep 27, 2006
right ok. bcos i know the springs are the same interms of diameter with the LCR and LC as eibach only list one part number. and therefore LC is the same as the golf. so i was under assupmtion that the strut is the same too. i know the diameter etc of the subframe is different and the hubs and brakes and driveshafts but the actual stru and springs apart from the compression etc must be the same, hence why i asked.

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
The suspension on the LCR is the same setup as the Octy vRS, you can get KW's that fit the Octy vrs and would fit an LCR but they are big money, OR you could do as I have done, and get carriers made that allow the ARB Links to bolt to the strut legs, pretty simple and before anyone starts to question this I ran this setup without a hitch for 60K miles on my last Octy vRS and this is what I will be doing with my new one and a set of FK Konigsport Coilovers!

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The MK4 Golf, Leon etc etc all use the same front and rear suspension set up providing they are all front wheel drive.

The only difference between the MK4 Golf and the LCR is where the anti roll bar connects to, but this has nothing to do with the subframe itself. Quite a lot of aftermarket suspension kits have the mounting points on the dampers so the anti roll bar links can be connected onto them anyway.

Having said that if the axle weights are different the the spring rates could also be different and thus may not be suitable.

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
The MK4 Golf, Leon etc etc all use the same front and rear suspension set up providing they are all front wheel drive.

The only difference between the MK4 Golf and the LCR is where the anti roll bar connects to, but this has nothing to do with the subframe itself. Quite a lot of aftermarket suspension kits have the mounting points on the dampers so the anti roll bar links can be connected onto them anyway.

Having said that if the axle weights are different the the spring rates could also be different and thus may not be suitable.

You need the 'upto 960Kg' front axle springs over 960Kg ones are for the Diesel engined cars

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net

Interesting, Ross. :yes: So there is no difference between the subframes? I was aware the LCR carried the arb mount on the strut rather than on the wishbone, but I thought the subframes were different. Are LCR wishbones the same as Golf Mk4- ie they have an unused arb droplink hole?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The ARB doesnt mount onto the wishbone on the LCR, but i cant for the life of me remember if the thread is still there. It is on the Octavia vRS as all the wishbones are the same regardless. But I think the LCR may use the TT front wishbones as they have the larger balljoints with the 15mm bolts on the rather than the usual 13mm.

The R32 ARB fits the vRS (I have done a lot of them) so the subframes are the same in dimension, but this doesnt effect the struts anyhow only the moutings for the ARB.

Rear is the regular beam rear axle, nothing fancy and all interchangeable.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
But I think the LCR may use the TT front wishbones as they have the larger balljoints with the 15mm bolts on the rather than the usual 13mm.......

I was surprised at the amount of 'adjustment' on the LC wishbone ends where the balljoints mount. Would the larger bolts perhaps go through the LC wishbones into larger backplates?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The LC wishbones will be the smaller ones so no.

There is normally a very small amount of adjustment in the bottom balljoints but not much, certainly not enough to really change the camber.

c11rgd

Freshie
Sep 27, 2006
Finally some people with some more so technical ad applied knowledge. to in reality i can use mk4 golf after market coil overs on a lCR so long as i get the mounting for the ARB.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.