True MPG of the new cupra!!!!!!

Emm

Jun 9, 2003
UK
Visit site
hi,

I have done 7700 KM now.

Average consumption was 9,8L pr. 100Km so far.

That's 28.8 MPG in old money.

My LCR has averaged a consistent 27 MPG since run in (now approaching 40k).

Seems a few folk are getting 22ish MPG in their new LCs.

To think I dismissed the Focus ST and the Mazda 3 MPS because both could only achieve 20 MPG on my test drives :doh:

david.swanson

Jun 27, 2007
Kemnay
Computer says 28mpg after 1200ish miles
Going to work today 24mpg. This involves sitting in traffic for about 12 minutes then 6 miles on deserted dual carriageway (At least in the direction I'm going)
I find the Cupra has a bit too much power for moving one car length forward at a time.

DS

Last edited:

INSIDER

DYSLEXICS UNTIE!
Oct 17, 2006
im not sure i understand. let me try and get my head round this you poeple have bought a 2.0 16valve turbocharged 240ps car and are worried about mpg:doh: if it worries you that much you should have bought a diesel!!!;)

Starbank

Sep 22, 2005
Edinburgh
Although I'd love a Cupra, would miss the 420-450 miles per tank the 2.0TDi does. 22k miles and I'm averaging 42mpg - that's after a remap, plenty of lovely torque and a heavy right foot!

If I didn't have an 80 mile daily round commute could be swayed back to the petrol.......maybe.

cuprarstu

Jan 8, 2006
Hertfordshire
Yo guys,would love to hear from cupra owners and your opinions on the true mpg that the cupra is giving out!!!im collecting mine in less than 2 weeks and its the only question that i havnt got a clear answer to!!!cheers

Only appear to be getting about 25-27 mpg in the Cupra although when doing a fairly long round trip with the Mother-in-Law I did get about 31 mpg, no prizes for guessing why:whistle:

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Worked out mine last night (on paper, not the trip computer) and I've done 900 miles and the average fulel consumption is 35mpg. Approx 550 miles were on the motorway.
If 6th gear was a bit higher then MPG would be a fair bit better, as the differerence between doing 65mph and 75 is a fair amount in MPG.
I don't think the trip computer is particulary accurate (either that or my calculations are way out).
Does everyone elses average MPG reset after every journey?

Last edited:

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
The latter option :p
The car has only ever done 900 miles in it's life, I've not got it anymore :(

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Overall average for me is just under 25 mpg. That's with about 5000 miles on the clock.

Have had 33 mpg on a run once, stuck in traffic doing about 50 mph for a lot of the journey.

The computer has two counters, one that resets itself every journey (unless the car is restarted within a certain amount of time, maybe an hour or so) and a second that you reset yourself. By counter I mean set of counters (e.g. ave speed, mpg, trip distance etc).

cupra2007

RCOTY
Jan 7, 2007
rhodes/greece
i had reset my 2nd trip computer average before leaving for my trip to europe.after going to london and back to rhodes the average was 11.2lt/100km!not good not bad either!at a time it showed 510km per tank,not for long though...

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I get anywhere from 200 miles to a tank (pushing it) to 350 miles ( mostly cruising) in mine. Average is approx 260-280 miles which is the same as my 1.8T was.

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
Mine's still a baby with only 350 miles on the clock, but she did them 350 miles on her first tank of fuel - Paid for it at the pumps when the big beezer drank up 57 litres. Trip computer estimated 32MPG - It's a little out, as this website: http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php worked it out to actually be 27.91 MPG.

My running in consists of waiting for engine temp to reach 90, and then boot it. I wonder if a car thats gentley run in will do better?

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
I've only owned my just under two weeks and I got 28 on the 1st tank and I currently at 26.9 on the second tank. That's using BP Ultimate.

As people have stated above, it all depends how much you are using the Turbo. If you drive below 3000rpm with minimum use of the Turbo you will probably see low 30's on a long run.

Mines an ex-demo with 7900 miles.

I'm not really bothered what MPG I get, although anything better than 22/23 is a bonus & better than what I used to get on my Subaru Impreza years ago.

Cheers

RickyD

DICEYUK

If you drive below 3000rpm with minimum use of the Turbo you will probably see low 30's on a long run.
If anyone has a Cupra & they're keeping below 3000rpm then they've bought the wrong car.
Anyway, for the record I've done 10,000 miles since May and I'm averaging around 24mpg. Needless to say that I normally drive at a tad bit more than 3000rpm:D

eMATTer

29.5 MPG on first tankfull.

I've now done 6500 miles & average 34mpg. That's commuting to work on motorway & the odd short journey.

The best I've had is 37mpg on a 200 miles journey on motorway and A roads with traffic meaning I was averaging 60mph.

It drops much lower with stop start driving and when I floor it too much.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.