What comes next

mmfb

Feb 12, 2003
Berkshire
Visit site
Ive owned a late 2002 plate Cupra, and then a Alfa GTV, and now a late 2002 Cupra R. Which I love. Ive had it now for about 1.5 years and feel the itch to change. But I just cant find anything that really makes me want to blow the extra cash.

I probably wouldnt want to spend more than £20k, but might stray over it for something special. Ideally upto £15k Id be happy to spend.

Im wondering what others have bought after LCRs and how they found it. The M3 is quite tempting, but I dont think I can handle the image or stigma. i dont like the Mitsibuishi Evo, an M5 is too big. A 4x4 is tempting but I want to remain in contact with freinds and family.:ban: I like the previous Merc SL, but at 34 I dont think Im ready for one yet. Boxsters are ok, but Im just not sure, TTs are nice but long in the tooth, and after having a 2seater I quite like the practical side of the LCR.

So, just wondering if anyone has any inspiring ideas. (Sensible), yes...I love Dodge Challengers too, but its just not what Im looking for.

?
Cheers

Stick with the LCR Stick with the LCR Stick with the LCR Stick with the LCR Stick with the LCR Stick with the LCR Stick with the LCR Stick with the LCR Stick with the LCR Stick with the LCR Stick with the LCR :doh:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
M3, or 330Ci Clubsport if funds are tight, would be my first choice based on your requirements.

Or... Audi RS6 Avant perhaps? S4? Alfa GT?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
As painful as it is to say it, in that budget window the M3 is the only car thats going to offer you much more than the LCR. So many other cars that offer as much have a really bad catch (Evo / Porker: servicing costs, Mk4 R32 feels ordinary as standard after an 'R').

Once you go out there and test a few you may well feel inclined to sit put. You have to spend a lot of money to trounce an LCR in all areas.

Leon.SJ

Naturally aspirated...
Oct 16, 2006
South Bucks.
I think in that league I'd be tempted by an S4 - was a big BMW fan growing up but since getting the Leon I've definitely caught the VAG bug! Just did a quick search and found an 03 plate S4 4.2 V8 Quattro for £19,495... I better start saving! :whistle:

EDIT: Just thought, how about a new Cupra...?

mmfb

Feb 12, 2003
Berkshire
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I tend to agree with the concensus, in that there are not many better options without spending the kind of money you could get a house for in the early 80s.
M3 and S4 (hadnt thought of that, and I do like them) are probably topping the pops, but as mentioned, the benefit is not going to be overwhelming so maybe ill stuck with the LCR for now.
Ps - having had one alfa already, i just couldnt bring myself to go there again, the stealer wanted £2500 for a service at 28k miles (no chance- im not that stupid), and it had a lot of niggles that whilst thankfuly were done uder warranty, t took them days and days at A.R. to figure out why the self sealing windows (frameless doors) wouldnt self-seal.
All in all, it was nice to reture to VAG.
Also quite like Saba 93 AERO Convertibles...but once again, at 34 Im not sure Im ready for that.

(Wish I could afford an RS4) :)

Thanks again for the great input.
Mark

SteveaB

What i would get but where talking again alot of mony for servicing and i'm expecting to get flamed for this is a Skyline GTR! i love em and almost brought one instead of my LCR but the insurance killed me on it!