Cupra Vs Type R JDM

bobphatboyphat

Jul 6, 2007
Been thinking about replacing my Astra Sri wth something more powerful, but still have 5 doors... So narrowed it down to the New Cupra. Well thats until i saw the Civic Type R JDM Version.... now i am just not sure. It is expensive at £22,995, but that is because its imported from japan.....
Just wished they had brought this version of the civic to the UK...

ANd this is the best bit the cost of it in japan £12,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CivicTypeRJDM.jpg

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Been thinking about replacing my Astra Sri wth something more powerful, but still have 5 doors... So narrowed it down to the New Cupra. Well thats until i saw the Civic Type R JDM Version.... now i am just not sure. It is expensive at £22,995, but that is because its imported from japan.....

ANd this is the best bit the cost of it in japan £12,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the JDM Civic is a 4 door saloon so doesn't fit your criteria? :confused:

bobphatboyphat

Jul 6, 2007
don't really need a big boot, just 4 doors to be able to take 4 adults. not bothered if its a salon or hatchback.... just trying to figure out how much it would cost to insure......

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
In my mind the 2 cars are very different. The Leon is a well rounded family hatch that will do everything at 7 10ths all day long and make most drivers very happy.
The JDM Civic is a car that will appeal to drivers wanting that little bit more out of driving and are looking to feel the rewards.
If I was a single guy with no ties and a no worries budget, then I would either go for the Integra DC5 or the JDM Civic.
If I was a family guy with a few ties and a need for some comfort then I would either go for the Leon Cupra or the Renault R26 Megane.
And if I won the lottery I would be driving a pure white 6R4 clubman--with a couple of spare diffs and 'boxes in my garage:whistle:

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
I do like the look of that JDM Civic but, standing at Awesome the other week watching a pair of ATRs on the dyno, I was wincing every time the high lift cams came in; impressive but I don't know whether I could really live with it on a daily basis.

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
I love high revving engines but like you say 'they' take some getting used to and could be a bit waring on a day to day basis-plus I think they attract a lot of attention too!-I am definitely getting old!

Chris_Cupra

Apr 17, 2007
Athens, Greece

CivicTypeRJDM.jpg

What about its technical specs ...??? New type-R iVTEC engine (about 225 hp) ??? Front LSD, etc ...???
Is it really faster that the new Cupra: 0-60mph, 0-1000m, etc ...??? Doubt it ...[B)] With the new Cupra (+remap) you get around 300bhp and then wave your hand to Imprezas & Evos

garycupratdi

Jan 28, 2004
liverpool
Visit site
It's not just faster it also has a lot of kit std 0-60 is about 5 secs and it laps suzuka quicker than an nsx..

SUZUKA CIRCUIT compare to this:
CIVIC TYPE R (FD2) 2'35"20
NSX (Type S Zero) 2'35"44
LANCER (EVO VI RS) 2'36"50
RX-7 (Type RS) 2'35"81
GTR ( V-SPEC) 2'39"56

FD2 Civic Type R
1270kg
K20A 11.7:1
225ps/8000rpm
21.9kgm/6100rpm
Bridgestone RE070 225/40R18
320mm Brake disc w/ Brembo pot

garycupratdi

Jan 28, 2004
liverpool
Visit site
TBH i love both seat and honda but if you want a car that is as rare as hens teeth then the ctr is the one to go for and if you fancy a bit of track action every now and then i think that the ctr will out perform most on the track.
If your after tuneability then the cupra is the way forward very easy to make it faster where as the honda will cost a bloody fortune to tune.
Mugen_JDM_Civic_Type-R.jpg

mugen-honda-civic-type-r-01.jpg

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden
Don't suppose you'll get any official warranty with one of those and Honda dealers will probably not service it. Very expensive for a Civic.

Monumental

Mar 10, 2007
East Anglia
I'd take a JDM Civic over any Leon on any day of the week. Make sure you have a good long drive in one first though as the relative lack of torque is a bit of a Marmite thing, if you get my drift.

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
mmm stop the pigeon verses lardy larry-JDM civic would pagger an upgraded Leon in my honest opinion--look at the track times for an evo against the civic--tells a story!
Leon a good car---civic a better car!

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
hang on a min--It beat the time(according to them) of an evo round a track--most evos standard are over the 276 agreed limit-so lets say 290/300 for the evo in standard form against the 225 (PS) of the jdm civic....
Have a proper look at the figures there and have a rethink.......

Have you ever met anyone that has had a 'play' with an evo or driven one yourself......

If you have then you will know that a well driven 'standard' evo will paste the floor with anything this side of a supercar...........

A modified Leon Cupra is good, but to beat an EVO is a little different!

I am not saying the new JDM Civic is the best thing since sliced bread, but it is far more driver focused than the Leon--When was the last time a SEAT product had a standard Limited Slip Diff?

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
I am not too sure where the straight line speed reference came from as it has no interest to me.
To sum up both cars are very good but the FD2 is a lot more driver focused than the Cupra and a lot of chassis modding would have to be done to the Cupra to keep it in line with the Civic.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.