Head Unit Switch

hugh_leon

Sorry if this has been asked many times before, but how do you get the standard player out and do normal size players fit into the gap?

Thanks

Deleted member 20482

buy a set of radio removal keys a few quid from halfords. save ya credit card you will need it for the mods.. he he.. ;)

hugh_leon

Where are the points where the keys slot? (left and right or top and bottom?)

Thanks

Deleted member 20482

Where are the points where the keys slot? (left and right or top and bottom?)

Thanks

have you a cd or tape unit...?

it's been a while since i removed this, eeeerrrrmmmm..
i seem to recall sticking them down the sides of the unit about half way down and sticking my fingers in the tape slot and pulling/ wiggling it till it come out.
the front is quite sturdy..well mine is..
you will need to get the facia adapter though, halfords or ebay for that...
and don't forget the aerial booster..ive fitted mine last month and "wow" how many stations..couldn't get many and even when i did was naff signal.. now crystal clear.

Cupraloon

I made some removal keys for the aura h/u out of plastic card i had lying about, you could probably do the same with some stiff plastic or even thin metal, the removal slots are at the side of the h/u, you may need to bend the tags out again once you've got it out tho'

Deleted member 20482

mine are at the side.. looking at my old head unit now...
mind you it is a tape one...dam glad that ain't in my car no more.

PawnStar

Easiest way to do it is to do what I did

Go to Camberley SEAT (Or your nearest SEAT dealer) and enquire about removal keys. The guy came out the workshop and pulled my HU out for me.

Mind you, mine is a CD player, but the principle is the same, 2 pins on either side that need to be pushed down and the unit should pop out with gentle negotiation :)

hugh_leon

Thanks, I'll give it a go on the weekend. From the sounds of it, it might be different from tape to cd player.

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
Sorry to hijack this thread.
Is it a straight forward swap cable connection wise? I read some where that you need an adaptor for some.

Thanks

Ken

Deleted member 20482

my aura tape unit had the key slots at the bottom, about 1/4 of the way in, on each side.

thats why i struggled then getting mine out.. mine have been filled in with something...
had a closer look and found tissue in the slots and what looks like black touch up paint...
typical...
however mine did come out eventually from the sides.

Deleted member 20482

Sorry to hijack this thread.
Is it a straight forward swap cable connection wise? I read some where that you need an adaptor for some.

Thanks

Ken

depends on what unit you use..
i have a sony head unit and my iso connections from stereo plugged in to the car connections.
halfrauds sold me the "extra" iso connector which i later realised i didn't need.
it just made it harder to get all the cables and stereo in the slot.

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
Thanks for the reply :)
How do you know if you need a new harness or not? Last thing i want is to cause any damage to my car putting a new HU in.

Cheers

Ken

Deleted member 20482

when you take the stereo out you should have a brown/white connector and a black one connector going to your stereo.
ones power and the other is speakers...this is on your cars wiring loom.
you new stereo should have a similar set or a double block connector.
it should be straight forward when you look at it.
i'll see if i can get any pics of mine for ya.

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
when you take the stereo out you should have a brown/white connector and a black one connector going to your stereo.
ones power and the other is speakers...this is on your cars wiring loom.
you new stereo should have a similar set or a double block connector.
it should be straight forward when you look at it.
i'll see if i can get any pics of mine for ya.

I'm glad i asked now :) could of been nasty if i had presumed it to be ok to connect it straight up.

Thanks alot :)

Ken

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.