EPC light on and accelerator not working

Rik N.I.

249bhp 300lbs Torque
Jun 3, 2007
Lisburn N.Ireland
As above fault code

17967 - Throttle Valve Control part (J338) Fault in basis settings
P1559 - 35-00 - -

Car is idling like a tractor, poping and farting away.

Any ideas what this could be, sounds like the obvious throttle body, anyway of confirming this apart from buying a new one obviously? If it i sthe throttle body is there much work involved and are they pricey?

Fault wont clear on Vagcom nor when I reset Ecu.

All help appreciated

Thanks

Rik

Rik N.I.

249bhp 300lbs Torque
Jun 3, 2007
Lisburn N.Ireland
Thanks mate, got a lift to work, will try when I get home.

My brake pedal is also rock hard even tho I haven't used the brakes? Not sure why that is, been told by someone else it could be my airflow meter?

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
Gotta say I can't see your brake pedal issue being related to your MAF, did they elaborate?

I would say it's worth checking your brake servo vac hose, which in my case split when i was driving and caused the pedal to feel hard (as the servo was no longer helping me brake)

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51097

On the throttle body subject, I can't find a guide or link but cleaning it with carb cleaner may be the next step.

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
did you have a look at the throttle body to see if it's sticking or not working at all

Rik N.I.

249bhp 300lbs Torque
Jun 3, 2007
Lisburn N.Ireland
Should the throttle body be stiff? I thought I would have been able to spin it round with my finger? Car is off and I've set something on the accelerator pedal so it is now fully in, should that turn the body round? Trying to clean the other side

It seems stuck? But maybe it should be like that with the car off, I'm not sure?

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
not sure you could try to realign it using block 60 on vag-com while the intercooler hose is off and have a look and see if it moves

Rik N.I.

249bhp 300lbs Torque
Jun 3, 2007
Lisburn N.Ireland
Ok cleaned the throttle body out and all is fine, car running great and brakes are back to normal

But traction control light is on and so is the EPC light.

Car is still throwing up the fault

17967 - Throttle Valve Control part (J338) Fault in basis settings
P1559 - 35-00 - -

and another fault 01314 Electronic Control Module

None of this will clear, gona drive the car for a while and see how it goes

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
Sounds like a connection problem to me.

I had similar issues on mine, remove the large plug on the engine ecu and clean it with some electrical contact cleaner, refit and re align throttle body.

Rik N.I.

249bhp 300lbs Torque
Jun 3, 2007
Lisburn N.Ireland
Car is still driving fine, sometimes when I start it epc and traction light come on sometimes it doesn't

Electronic fault is now cleared, but may be back up have to check

Its channel 60 to do the re-alignment right? Should meas block 4 say Error? Also when I go to readiness and group 60, its says group 60 not available?

Rik N.I.

249bhp 300lbs Torque
Jun 3, 2007
Lisburn N.Ireland
Went for a good drive lastnight, so battery is well charged and Epc has stayed off allday after being started about 6 times.

So hopefully the problems are all sorted, will try vagcom again now that battery is definately well charged.

Altho I was suprised at just how stuck the throttle body got, took half a tin of wd40 then carb cleaner and about 20 min with a screwdriver to budge it, was completely solid

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members