a little help needed

myseatcupra

ibiza fr tdi
May 14, 2007
cardiff/penarth
i polished my cordy (black) today , and i notice that on the bonnet i could see light marks circular where id put the polish on. does this mean i should uses some sort of cutting compound first? then polish? and one other thing how long does clay last. ive clayed my car 2 or 3 times now. how long will it last?

Last edited:

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
right...

When you say how long will Clay last, clay removes bonded contaminents and gets the surface like glass, I clay mine around twice a year, it really depends on how many miles you do, and also what protection you put onto the paint to help keep bugs/tar off the paint work.

What polish did you use? Most polishes have either abrasives or fillers in them, Autoglym Super resin polish has fillers in it, and when it is worked into the paint it, fills in very light swirls marks and feint scratches.

Are the circular marks, like a spiderweb? or a definite mark where polish ahs been? you more than likely used to much product and hasnt been buffed off enough.

I can also almost guarnetee that your car will be covered in swirl marks, from over the years of washing/ drying.

Ideally you want to start with the 2 bucket method, using a sheepskin mitt, followed by a rinse and dry with a waffle weave or microfibre cloth.

This helps to minimise the amount of dirt scratched onto the paint with a normall sponge and chamois.

After this the car should be clayed to remove bonded contaminents, then ideally followed by a quik rinse and dry.

Then comes the polishing stage, most people polishing by hand use Autoglyms Super resin polish, it fills the tiny marks but wont last and IMO isnt very good.

If you want rid of the swirls you will need a machine buffer, [most people use a Porter cable] but thqat involves diff pads, polishes etc. Best looking on www.detailingworld.co.uk for more info on them.

After the polishing stage, comes the sealent and then finally the wax, this is totally your choice, there are many companies to choose from, Poorboys, Chemical guys, Swissvax, Zaino to name but a few.

My personal favourite being chemical guys as every product i have tried has been very easy to use and given great results. But im swaying towards Swissvax at the mon, but it aint cheap!

Hope some of this helps. THere is loads of info on the above sight as well as the site sponsors www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

Cheers

myseatcupra

ibiza fr tdi
May 14, 2007
cardiff/penarth
cheers thanks for that. thats clears most of it up. i should of made one of my points alittle clearer. clay how many time can you use them before you should get a new one. i got 2 in the kit. just dont know when you should replace them.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Good advice from Sisson, but one point i would add. When polishing or applying any product (including washing and claying) apply in straight lines, not in a circular motion. This will help prevent swirl marks.
The clay should be replaced when it appears to be badly contaminated and you can no longer get a clean patch when its been folded several times.

jez33

No don't bin it,use it on your alloys.... but saying that if you drop it on the ground DO NOT be tempted too use it on your paintwork....

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
You can use the clay again, no need to bin it if its not been used on a heavily contaminated car. Rule of thumb, keep folding the clay inwards, so revealing a clean face to put on the panel. When you can't do this anymore, then its time to chuck it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.