Warning tyres!!!

jonnie5

Seat Leon FR+
Mar 14, 2007
Rosyth
Just to let you guys know how much fun I've had in the past couple of weeks since i've have my F1's fitted to the front of my Leon. Its been great. Due to the fact the F1 grip so much better than the P6000's on the back I can now get the rear end of sideway in the rain easy. First time it did catch me out and I nearly had the rear end slide and hit the kirb which I have never had before, because it usually understeers first. So if you guys are getting new tyres make sure you dont get cought out, put the better tyres on the back for safty unless you like playing like me:D

sebasti0n

Nov 6, 2006
Same here..... when I first got my LC it had budget tyres ( WANLI)..

These are the worst tyres ever in the rain.... I put TOYO's on the front & on wet days the front would grip but the back would always step out.....

Got TOYO's all round know... plenty of grip in the wet.....

jonnie5

Seat Leon FR+
Mar 14, 2007
Rosyth
Thing is though. If I put my rears on the front I'd be buying tyres on the front in a month or so now I will get alot more out of the ones since there on the back thats if I drive sensible and now provok the rear end out all the time

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Yeah but there's the expense of new tyres on the front in a months time which are needed anyway or the expense of a buckled wheel, tyre, linkage, arch etc... if it catches you by surprise one day :)

sebasti0n

Nov 6, 2006
when my rears fade, I was considering sticking F1's on just for the extra grip...
and as they are on the back they should last longer...

I think you`ll find thats more to do with having less tread at the rear, you should always have you best tyres on the rear of the car. this is due to the fact that then braking the weight is xfered to the front, thus meaning less friction co-efficent at that rear meaning less grip!

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
Putting new rubber on the front is fine unless the rears are very worn and/or a lesser performing tyre, i.e putting F1s on the front and crap P6000s on the rear.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
If your front loses grip you have a chance of reviving it by steering in the right direction and easing off the throttle.
If the rear loses grip and goes, you have alot less chance of reviving it and are more likely to crash.
Best tyres should always be on the rear

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
If your front loses grip you have a chance of reviving it by steering in the right direction and easing off the throttle.
If the rear loses grip and goes, you have alot less chance of reviving it and are more likely to crash.
Best tyres should always be on the rear
I am aware of that but you're assuming a tyre with less tread is going to perform alot worse than one with more, this isn't the case.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Well i'd agree if we were taliking about slicks, but if you want good grip in all conditions, more tread is advisable. If less tread was better we'd all be saving money and buying part ones.

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
I'm not saying less tread is better but performance doesn't start to drop off straight away.

However, despite the law, it is generally recognised in the tyre industry that the legal limit is an extreme. Many tyre manufacturers state that they design tyres to function as well at 1.6mm as they do at 9mm (the accepted normal tread depth when new). That is a surprising statement for any tyre company to make, but some have said just that.

So, if a tyre performs as well at 1.6mm as it does at 9mm, what happens at 1.5mm? Is there a sudden drop in performance? Actually there isn't, because industry testing has shown that when a tyre reaches around 3.5mm in tread depth, the level of performance in the wet, in particular, starts to deteriorate, as does its dry handling characteristics.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
That just proves what i said. More tread is better.......
industry testing has shown that when a tyre reaches around 3.5mm in tread depth, the level of performance in the wet, in particular, starts to deteriorate, as does its dry handling characteristics.
So less grip is detromental in both wet and dry conditions.

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
That just proves what i said. More tread is better.......

So less grip is detromental in both wet and dry conditions.
The article says wet weather performance doesn't drop off considerably until 3.5mm. so aslong as the rears have a decent amount of tread it's no problem.

Mixing brands is worse.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
The article says wet weather performance doesn't drop off considerably until 3.5mm. so aslong as the rears have a decent amount of tread it's no problem.
Like i said, best tyres on the rear :shrug:

Mixing brands is worse.

I agree. asking for trouble. It looks terrible too when you look at a car and they have 4 different brands of tyre on. Makes you wonder what else was replaced with bits from the "offer of the week" pile.

strugers1

or just put good tires on all round let a few psi out th rear tires, go into the corner jab the brake with ya left foot whilst planting you foot on the gas and just have sideways fun i love it

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
or just put good tires on all round let a few psi out th rear tires, go into the corner jab the brake with ya left foot whilst planting you foot on the gas and just have sideways fun i love it
...... and take out some mother and child on their way to the park and cause a pile up. Great fun, i'll be doing this from now on :fool:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.