Got my car back (Big Turbo)

delaxm

Nov 8, 2006
South West UK
I know what you mean - before my turbo went bang, I loved the performance, but I was having to clean the rear of the car every 100 miles or so.
To me black smoke is unburnt fuel & a good tuner should be able to get the air fuel ratio better than they seem to with a lot of the cars on here - if you over fueled a petrol engine by that much you'd wash all the oil off the cylinder bores & the engine wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
yea but as devonmikeyboy has said its a way of getting higher peak figures and i keep trying to tell myself that its not the peak that matters its the drive but we will see lol

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
ok mate, still deciding what to do with black smoke jabba say i will loose prob around 15bhp if i get it reduced just seems like alot QUOTE]

What power have you got at the moment? If Jabba map cars on the RR you or at least they should have a dyno plot of your car with a BHP and torque reading. Without seeing how bad your car smokes i cannot really comment on Jabbas mapping compared to Allards maps but i knoe Devonutopia who used to be a full on Jabba person is well happy with his Allard map of his car which now smokes ALOT less then the Jabba map. If Mike says you will loose 15bhp what will your end power be? Even if he maps the car to run lean you should have 220ish bhp with a VNT 17/20 spec turbo or as you say you might as well have saved yourself a few thousand pound and had a GT1749V remapped to 200ish bhp. You might want to put that point to Jabba. As long as your EGT and boost are OK you will probably not need a remap after having the propane system fitted. I take it you do have a bostt and Egt gauge fitted?

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
Sorry mikey i'm still learning mate whats a EGT gauge?? i do have a boost gauge i'm currently runnning 30psi of boost and it holds that right from the start to redline and it hardly overboosts atall sometimes it may just tip over the 30psi mark but not for long and not by much. I will be gettingit mapped again after the propane aslong as jabba dont want lots of money for it just to make sure i'm getting the best from the car

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Exhaust Temp Gauge. Exhaust temps are totally different to engine temps. With an EGT you can tell if your turbo is getting too hot and going to melt down. Adding propane to an already stressed turbo could push you EGT temp sky high and cause engine/turbo problems. Propane burns at a higher temp the diesel. When driving hard mt EGT`s reach 850-900 C which is OKish. When testing maps the EGT`s did go over 1000 C a few times wich is getting a bit hot.

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
ok so thats another thing i need to add to the list what do you think mine should be running?? i didn't realise the temps got anywhere near that kind of mark

turkish

Mar 14, 2003
Kent
Visit site
Have not posted on here on a while, but have been reading this thread with interest.

I have a Bora TDI 150 with a Stage 2 Turbo Dynamics turbo now installed. All my mapping has been completed by Joe at ChippedIRE.

The first map resulted in 234 bhp and 367 lbft and as devonmikeyboy said about your high torque map, mine smoked like a good-un " I dont have a typical down turned exhaust, but a twin straight exit, so this does not help in dispersing smoke to the floor! wish I did!" On WOT especially in 5th and 6th at *** MPH you would leave a nice trail for everyone to see, pretty embarrassing. Plus I was having to clean its rear end every couple of days.

So Joe created a different map, I have not been on the dyno with this map, but it feels fantastic, it's so responsive and feels so much more petrol like in it's smooth delivery, torque output is down, you can't feel that huge surge at 2000-2500 RPM, but BHP feels similar from 3500-4500 RPM. The real bonus is that there is very little and I mean hardly any smoke, and if anything it is now a light dust colour and not black soot ! No more WOT throttle smoke, seriously no one would ever know this thing was a diesel.

Mikey_H, I would take it back to Jabba and ask them to reduce the additional fuel they have put in, then see how it drives and if not put it back to the previous first map.

One more thing, have you taken any performance figures from yours yet, try a simple test with a stopwatch or similar, 60-100 3rd into 4th and let us know the outcome also try a 30-70 using 2nd into 3rd and if you have the space and a private test track 100-120 in 5th, flooring it from 97/98 MPH onwards.

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
ok yea i will try that with a stopwatch. With regards to the map i have decided i'm going to be getting propane within the next month anyway so might aswell wait untill i get that done then take it back to jabba and say right i have propane now i want a fast map without huge amounts of black smoke and rather than loosing 15bhp it will just mean he propane has a lower gain also i belive the propane shou;ld help to a certain degree with the black smoke. I have bought Allards egr replacement should be with me tomorrow or friday i just need to sort out the rest of the pipework down the left side. I seriously wish i went for an Allard FMIC looks better than the forge one and it replaces all the pipework but hey we al learn from our mistakes haha!! have been doing loads to the car recently last niht i fitted cupra rear spoiler and cupra alloys will be posting pics on a new thread tonight after work but i think it looks awesome.

sooty22

sooty22
Dec 28, 2006
nera richmond north yorks
well here we are dropped my car off at allards monday, now comes the wait until its ready! i am getting the egr pipe from allards but they said its a must have and are replkacing all the pipework as ait not thick enough to let the air flow.... first impressions are great! will keep posted.

sooty22

sooty22
Dec 28, 2006
had a report from allards... not looking good they said i need new track rod arm inner joints for both sides its that bad im not advised to drive the car! so have been searching high and low to find a place that can do me the parts so allards can carry on and put the gearbox back together. never goes smoothley.

sooty22

sooty22
Dec 28, 2006
iys an 03 reg had the ustal mods strut brace tar ox pads 105/40/17 wheeld greren filter but hae been having the same old problem with inner edges wearin seriously quick in no time,
New wishbone bushes tie rods tarck rods the lot hopefult this is the solution.... but miltek exhaust wont be ready for a further week so getting allards to post the exhaust to my house and i will fit it myself. cant wait for the car to be ready and smile all the way home....

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
i wouldn't advise that mate, they wont be able to get as much out of the engine if you don't have a free flowing exhaust and then you will need it mapping again?? upto you mate but i would wait untill everything is done and then get it mapped properly taking into concideration all mods? dunno what everyone else thinks?