Sprint Booster

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I agree that it feels stronger in the low to mid-range than at the top end, but that's where you spend most time. I don't think it opens the throttle further than before, if it did that your fuel consumption would suffer alot, I think it's just a faster microprocessor that processes the input signals alot faster than before. However it works it does feel good.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
I agree that it feels stronger in the low to mid-range than at the top end, but that's where you spend most time. I don't think it opens the throttle further than before, if it did that your fuel consumption would suffer alot, I think it's just a faster microprocessor that processes the input signals alot faster than before. However it works it does feel good.

thats what I thought when I first read this thread!

but after reading this it puts me off a lot...(as what happens when I want half throttle?!)...

...you only tap the throttle and it feels like you have been given all the power you would normally get at full throttle, now the draw back is when you go full throttle you don't get any more power so I think it may be working by telling the EMU to open the throttle more than it acually is...

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
I spoke to awesome about these and they made the comment that it can make some cars a pig to drive on part throttle, jerky acceleration etc

How does yours drive on part throttle rob?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
My car feels great, just as smooth as before but with much sharper throttle response at low to mid revs, it's not going to affect full throttle because it's wide open anyway.

Is it worth the money ... in my opinion yes, car feels much sharper and more responsive, coming out of slow corners you're right on it much quicker than before, go down a windy country road driving aggressively and it feels great.

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
well i had the major service on the car today and my sprint booster only came today, jody didn't have time to fit it this evening when i collected so it will have to wait til it goes in for the brakes :(

Not sure i fancy fitting it myself, had a look and the pedal goes very high and there seems to be 1 bolt but im not so keen on doing it myself....it bares no relation to the instructions given with it at all :(

BOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I think you have to drop the plastic panel on the drivers side (roughly 6 screws), unplug the cable to the pedal, plug the module into the pedal then the cable into the module. You may be able to do it by unscrewing the fusebox panel at the side and getting in through there.

I was going to do mine myself but Star do free fitting, so I let them do it!

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
thought so karl.w good to see I have some brains lol !! My cupra only has 218 bhp up from the 180 so full throttle is quite often used for short bursts. Just been out to check my tyre pressures on the new Michelins i have put them at 33 psi according to the info on the filler lid. Anyone else do different pressures ?

Had a look under the dash just briefly, Jim's fitter Brian has made a super tidy job I can't even see where he has put the sprint box, then again I can't really see the cable that attaches to the accelerator, its up there somewhere think I would need to remove some plastic parts ! Can't wait to drive to work tomorrow now just to see if it feels as good the next day.

So anyone else bought one and had it fitted yet ?

David

can't wait for you to let us know how it goes :)

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
I think you have to drop the plastic panel on the drivers side (roughly 6 screws), unplug the cable to the pedal, plug the module into the pedal then the cable into the module. You may be able to do it by unscrewing the fusebox panel at the side and getting in through there.

I was going to do mine myself but Star do free fitting, so I let them do it!

oh right...hmmmmmmm i looked up and couldn't see much in the way of wires, just one bolt, bolting the pedal to the floor, ive gotta book the car in for brakes now so will book it in for sprint booster too!

davidhunter

Apr 27, 2004
Funkyfin,

Brian at star took no more than about 5 minutes to install it and I think as Robdon pointed out its drop the bit of plastic that holds the manual etc. and the cables in there.

Have to say still having a good laugh with it, Rob's exactly right coming around tight corners on back roads you suddenly get a lot more acceleration and quick response, I am pretty sure the guy in the grey Cupra going across the Dams road in Newton Mearns just found out how responsive it is, if you are on here, you did not look like you were having much fun with keeping up lol.

Great fun well worth a try and I think well worth the money.

I felt my throttle response in the past was slightly lumpy and a few flat spots so they have all gone but I would say you need to be more sensitive on the throttle. 2 days down the road I am starting to get used to it, I had the same feeling from going from my Mk2 weber carbed Golf with a wire to the very sensitive DBW Cupra its just getting used to a more sensitive system again.

Anyone found out how it works yet then, if it does not just open the throttle more/ faster?

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
Funkyfin,

Brian at star took no more than about 5 minutes to install it and I think as Robdon pointed out its drop the bit of plastic that holds the manual etc. and the cables in there.

Have to say still having a good laugh with it, Rob's exactly right coming around tight corners on back roads you suddenly get a lot more acceleration and quick response, I am pretty sure the guy in the grey Cupra going across the Dams road in Newton Mearns just found out how responsive it is, if you are on here, you did not look like you were having much fun with keeping up lol.

Great fun well worth a try and I think well worth the money.

I felt my throttle response in the past was slightly lumpy and a few flat spots so they have all gone but I would say you need to be more sensitive on the throttle. 2 days down the road I am starting to get used to it, I had the same feeling from going from my Mk2 weber carbed Golf with a wire to the very sensitive DBW Cupra its just getting used to a more sensitive system again.

Anyone found out how it works yet then, if it does not just open the throttle more/ faster?

great right up. thanks. ;)

davidhunter

Apr 27, 2004
Cheers lil3520 it came highly recommended by Jim at Star Performance and once again he was right so I have to give him all the credit.

David

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
Karl, Because this is "tricking" the ECU into thinking more throttle has been applied, does this wear the clutch out more?

Or am I being really daft?

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
Karl, Because this is "tricking" the ECU into thinking more throttle has been applied, does this wear the clutch out more?

Or am I being really daft?

TBO im only saying what i have read on other forums

Ive recently sold my cupra and now drive an AMG merc and from the info that i have read from merc/amg forums it tricks the ecu into thinking the throttle is further down than it really is merc boys have been using these for awhile now.

The merc boy's love them but that is because the throttle response is complete rubbish on even the top of the range mercs(about 0.5 -1 second delay) but all seem to agree that mpg suffers a bit,

What i cant understand is how it speeds up throttle response when it is placed in between the drive by wire system. you would think that any signal that is being modified by the sprint booster would take time and there for delaying the response even more

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
Daft!!! Tricking the throttle is only someone's guess at what it does, which I do not believe to be true, my fuel consumption hasn't been affected by the module, so I do not believe extra throttle is being used.

what are you basing this on with regards to tricking the ECU,
Is this your opinion of fact?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Why not ask the creators of the module themselves?

http://www.sprintbooster.gr/en/index.php

"The ECT system (Electronic Throttle Control) – also known as drive-by-wire – has the unfortunate downside of delayed throttle response and subdued acceleration, creating problems in certain circumstances such as up-hill starts, quick gearchanges, overtaking, etc.

The Sprint Booster aims to overcome this throttle response delay for ECT-equipped vehicles, providing crisp on-tap acceleration at the driverʼs disposal.

It is a device that improves acceleration by continuously measuring and converting the digital signal provided by the ECT’s potentiometer, and providing the ECM with a new and altered signal.
"

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
:think: Thats not really an answer to the question. So ill take it that you are the same as the rest off us and don't no how it really works either

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.