Running In

curious

Picked up brand new FR TDI yesterday. Company lease car, so will have for 3 years max.
Should I run in gently as per manufacturers guidelines, or just give it the full beans ? Am treating very gently at the moment, but very frustrating !!!!

Thanks for any advice.

alimck

Being a diesel turbo, all the power is between 1 and 2.5k revvs isn't it? I shouldn't think you'd ever need to go over 3k would u? Doesn't really need running in does it?

toledoChris

Jul 20, 2004
Being a diesel turbo, all the power is between 1 and 2.5k revvs isn't it? I shouldn't think you'd ever need to go over 3k would u? Doesn't really need running in does it?

Errrm no!

Last year I ran in my Fabia VRS fairly carefully but with the engine warm I would get the turbo spooling and take it to 2.5 and built it up throughout the first 1000 miles, the car used 750ml of oil in the first 10k which I was very happy with.

With my TFSI leon im taking the same attitude, with a warm engine I am taking the car to 4k under part throttle. From everything I have read its important to work the engine but not push it too hard.

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
Power doesn't really come in until 2k, up to around 4.5 (maybe 4)...but the redline is at 4.6 or thereabouts... I never really looked.

I ran mine in almost as per manual. I think it said do 1000miles like a granny... so I did most of those...then at 900 I got bored, plus I had to overtake.

I don't drive it hard anyway, well not unless I "have to" :)

can't hurt to do it. I know there's a few people who just floored it

sjtscott

Now with added Revo! :-)
Apr 15, 2003
London UK
Visit site
Its a company car they are always faster than ones your own yourself!
I ran a company car in at its max of 135mph legally on the german autobahn once lol.
I think you know where this is going.. just get on with it! :D

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
i got a new cupra last week, ran it for 200 miles like a granny and have had it in the red from then on in, pulls like a train now. this is the way i want to drive it and may be wrong as to other peoples opinions

curious

Don't think I will be able to hang on much longer.

Are there ANY likely (within 3 years !) downsides to doing this ??

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Modern PD diesel engines are already ran in when they leave the factory, the run in procedure in the manuel is a "cover their ass" sort of thing.When building millions of cars there is always one or two that are going to have a problem be it engine,transmission etc. If you speak to a tractor sales man they will tell you the best way to run a new tractor in is to give it the hardest job possible to put the engine under lots of stain. Basically drive it a few miles so you know something isn`t going to fall off and the brakes work etc then cain the hell out of it. At the end of the day if something does brake it`s under warrenty anyway.

MikeShaw100

Leon FR - White Lightning
Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
Well put Devonmikeyboy - thats what I intend to do next week when I am at one with my yellow peril.

Mike
57 FR170, Crono Yellow, 18", BT, Armrest, Chrome, Muddies and Mats......for starters

curious

Basically drive it a few miles so you know something isn`t going to fall off and the brakes work etc then cain the hell out of it. At the end of the day if something does brake it`s under warrenty anyway.

Corporal punishment was administered this afternoon.............

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
First time you drive it, warm it up gently then hammer it for the first 50 miles, both on and off the accelerator. then drive it normally. Beds the rings in nice and good.

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
I have always run my cars in the same way. Light load and low revs for the first 1000 miles. I am very old fashioned and I have never ever had an engine go bang on me. As soon as the magical 1000 miles is reached I then start to administer the pain in gradually increasing doses. Warm the car up, cool the car down(both company and personal cars!)
The last thing you want is to be driving a 1.0ltr hire car whilst 'yours' is in for repair and all the hassle that is associated with garages.

Thats my view anyway and I will never change it-unless its a race engine in a race car that cant be bedded in properly. I think once you have built an engine, or watched one being built, it kind of gives you a little more mechanical sympathy!

auto ban

Hey well i have had my leon tfsi now for just over a month.
I have just hit the 3000 mark the other day.
I am the same witht he over people i drive normaly untill i have to show people in there bmw what that car is as they only see the seat badge untill they catch up with you at the next lights.
Also as i am baes in germany i use the auto ban to get to work so i will let you all guess what happens then.