Camera Detectors

Jan 1, 2007
Retford, Notts
Have searched but whats the score with mobile speed cameras? I take it the laser detectors are hard to detect as they are too quick, do they have to register their position?

If so what detectors update this position regularly?

Was caught last month in Nottingham, need to invest in one of these.

Been looking at Snooper Invago Euro Plus off ebay for £300, with SatNav included.

How easy are these to wire into my Leon?

Many thanks

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I have a snooper 6
This has laser detector which is two detectors that you fit to the front of your car beside the reg plate. The reason for this is that that is where they get a flat plane to bounce the laser off of and the detectors will pick this up BUT!!
This only works from the front and alot of Traffic cops are setting themselves up in slip roads behind you where this sort of detector will not work.
The only thing I use mine for is static cameras or Gatsos. From the Snooper web site you can download other positions i.e know trapping places.
Hope this helps

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
i had a snooper
it was ace at picking up traffic lights and automatic doors
did occasionally pick up mobile cameras but wasnt really worth it so never wired it in.

andycupra

status subject to change
by the time you have detected a laser, its taken a reading before you can react.
think they take something like 2,000 readings per second...

you would be very lucky to pick up a signal bounced off another car further up the road. but its unlikely.

jammers are illegal...

Cupraloon

I had one a few years ago, can't remember what make it was, but it was a waste of money (£200), it only ever detected the gatso once you'd gone past it.... so i flogged it.

Currently I've got a tomtom one with speed camera data base, and it tells when your comming into a 30/40/50 zone well in advance, it doesn't actually detect them tho' but as long as the database is up to date, it's pretty good.

If i was to get another dedicated detector the one I'd probably get which seems to get good reviews is the road angel which is backed up by gps location so it knows where you are in relation to the gatso.

I was talking to a bloke who had one on a bike recently, who swore by it.

Last edited by a moderator:

G-FORCE

Jul 17, 2007
Berkshire
Hi Mate,

I have a Road Angel Compact with the laser add-on.

To be honest it's very good for fixed camera locations but with the laser add-on I don't rate it. I do belive that by the time you have been warned by the GPs device the Policeman with the speedgun would be registering a reading from your moving vehicle.

I think most can be hardwired in a 12v feed but I might be wrong.

jhono

old boy racer
Jul 15, 2007
just like most things peaple can only give personnel experience of systems they use .i have been saved twice by road angel laser detection , i was told it can pick up laser scatter weather this is true or not i dont know:confused:

andycupra

status subject to change
just like most things peaple can only give personnel experience of systems they use .i have been saved twice by road angel laser detection , i was told it can pick up laser scatter weather this is true or not i dont know:confused:

did you see the laser gun? where you speeding?

its a very narrow spread on a laser gun, you would be lucky to get scatter.

also, i know some can get set off by other 'waves' i know of one that got set off if someone used their horn if near something that would reflect it.

i would agree that there is the possibility it can save you, but i think its remote.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If your really travelling I doubt you could get down to legal speeds unless you have sooper dooper brakes.
Thats a thing, maybe spend the money on good brakes, thats more likely to save you than a camera detector

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Got a road angel as well and its not to bad.

You could try investing in a laser jammer as well, just remember to switch it off

I believe that you can get a sensor in your car for say opening the garage door when you drive up to it, this will 'jam' aswell and you have a legit reason for using it:funk:.........as long as you have a garage that is:lol::whistle:

Jan 3, 2006
East Kilbride
I had a snooper s3 (old model now) up until last year and have to say it worked really well. I now have a Tom Tom One with the speed camera data base on it which again works well. Picks up all the fixed camera spots and where the Mobile ones usually sit as well. And of coarse sat nav for the obvious purpose Lol

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
I deal with serious Traffic cases as part of the job and keep abreast of what our local police say and do direct from the horses mouth as it were.
GPS based systems will give you warning of fixed camera sites, if you keep the database up to date. But trust me Police are not bothered by laser DETECTORS. By the time it detects the signal it is too late 99% of the time, and if concentrating you should by then have spotted the marked "Camera Safety van" or a high vis jacket lurking at the road side.

Neither of the above devices are currently illegal, though detectors will be under the latest Road Safety Act.

Most safety camera partnerships or Police publicise on their websites which routes they will use laser vans on, and some even say specifically which dates. A bit of research may pay off.

As indicated above JAMMERS which purport to block laser ARE illegal and will land you in serious bother if caught. I understand most of these are not half as effective as they purport to be and your jamming signal can in turn cause you to be detected using it.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
I have a snooper s4 with the neo r separate laser and radar detector. Had it for a good few years now.
Gatsos etc - Excellent. plenty of warning
specs - also very good
mobile radar - nearly got caught a couple of times but out wieghed by the amount of times its pciked them up in time!
laser - like others say if it pciks it up pointing at you..... too late. Occassionallly get a bit of scatter pcik up but generally beware!

so to sum up. Get one with radar detector and gps fixed camera, dont worry about laser.... just be careful!

A interesting point that i found out couple of years ago and at first thought it was rubbish. People with detectors are involved in less speed related accidents than those without! This came from the insurance companies them selves! Apparantly those with them are far more aware of thier speed than others without them and so either drive more carefully or are able to react appropriately faster!
Looking back, i do seem to drive more carefully with mine than before.... strange because i thought i would drive faster!!!
I also have mine set to alert for schools, and accident blackspots.

I have a Talex GPS unit....paid around £120 for it. Database updates/downloads are £60 for 3 years. Very good unit....always picks up fixed cameras and also warns of possible mobile camera locations (based on info from local authority/camera partnerships websites) so if you take notice and slow down you may avoid being zapped by a mobile camera.

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
I have the Road Angel Plus and I think its a great piece of kit (even though it cost £300 last crimbo).

I doubt the front and rear laser detection sensors will save you in time but the fact that it highlights blackspots, fixed cameras, mobile camera hotspots, SPECs, Schools, Speed Limits etc is great. Mine's aleady saved me a couple of times so I guess you could say its paid for itself. If you drive the same roads every day I honestly don't think its worthwhile buying one though as you'll probably know where all the cameras are!

Another good thing about the RA Plus is that it runs off battery so no need for leads.

Quick question - If the police think laser detectors are useless then why are they bothering to ban them?

Chris20vT

Touch the pipe...!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2006
Norwich
I believe that you can get a sensor in your car for say opening the garage door when you drive up to it, this will 'jam' aswell and you have a legit reason for using it:funk:.........as long as you have a garage that is:lol::whistle:

Even that can land you in trouble:-

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=16705

I have a electric remote for my garage door too.

Besides that I have a huge database on my TomTom which give me deatails of all fixed cameras and the most popular mobile sites. Completely legal, gets annoying but keeps my alert to my speed!

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.