noisy power steering?

metal-head

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this, i did try searching it and couldn't find anything. I recently got a Toledo 20vt and i've noticed that the steering seems to make quite a loud whining noise when turning at low speed, you can also kinda feel it through the floor. Taken it back to the garage for this and a few other bits and they said they don't really think its much to worry about at the mo and that its quite a common thing on the model.:confused:

toledo sport

Aug 27, 2006
Hello, Metal head, i have the same car as you , as soon as you know of what is wrong with your car , could let us all know , as a common fault i have not heard of this before. Cheers.

AP2000

Toledo TDi 130
Apr 12, 2007
Midlands
I seem to have the same on my TDi 130, notice it the most at low speed going round corners. Fluid is at the max.

I'm thinking it's the power steering pump but never had it checked out.

metal-head

Cheers for the replies so far. The garage is saying they don't feel its anything to worry about at the mo but if it gets worst its looking at probably a new steering rack or pump. They say its a common thing on the model so guess it would be the same on the Leon too.

metal-head

Also forgot to mention it seems to improve as the car warms up:confused:

TollyTDI

replacing the power steering pump on mine in the morning, but mine is making a clunking noise when cold, have been told it is a comment fault with TDIs, so may be the same with the petrols

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
Power steering pumps are always noisy at low speed as have a greater load on them than at high speed. Also if you get to full lock will then whine louder. Absolutely nothing to worry about whatsoever, no need to replace pumps or anything. If the power steering is working don't fix it!

metal-head

Cheers for all the replys. I know what you mean about it always being noisy, but this is different to the usual. I've also found its worse when turning left:confused: Anyway, its gotta go back to the dealer again soon about a couple of other things and hopefully there gonna investigate this further.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.