Nov 9, 2003
London, SW6
photo.ing.me.uk
I need a diesel mobile for travelling around the place, and have shortlisted:

Golf GT TDi (170bhp)
Leon Sport (170bhp)
Alfa 159 1.9 Tdi 16v (150bhp)
and a E90 BMW 320d (177bhp).

Reason for the requirement, is I've put 14000 miles on the CSL since april, and I want to minimize future mileage except when necessary (i.e. on the 'ring).

Doesn't need to be RWD as its just to be used for going here/there/everywhere, not for interesting driving.

Why should I choose the Leon?

pr0ton

May 28, 2006
so it is. hmm you can't get the 170bhp seat diesel with DSG? (looking again at their dutch website now).

thats lame....

I've heard rumours that it coming up... When exactly, that i can't say. It will be my first choice as soon as it's available.

edit: The rumour was that it's going to be available on MY09...

Last edited:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
the current dsg cant seem to handle the torque of the 170 variant, ive got an octavia vRS ordered now and its ot the 6speed.

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
dunno brend, they stick the dsg in the r32 which produces more torque than the 170 diesel, unless its different clutch(es) in the r32 model that make it too expensive for the 170 diesel?

pr0ton

May 28, 2006
the current dsg cant seem to handle the torque of the 170 variant, ive got an octavia vRS ordered now and its ot the 6speed.

Golf GT and Audi A3 already has the DSG available with 170 diesel, so why wouldn't it work with the same engine in Leon?

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
got to be the clutch mate, I cant see a bit of modern engineered gearing failing at that sort of level.
Im going to pick up my demo 07 octavia RS 170 pdtdi tonight, ive got a loan of it for a day or two aon test drive before I finally order mine for definate. Hope its got a full tank :)

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
I had a day with the Octavia 170 before i got the Leon. The Skoda feels quick but certainly rolls a bit in corners, as the extra weight moves about.

Good car though and loads of space. Close your eyes and try not to be sick when you see the colour of the seats!! :doh:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Did you try the RS with the free options etc? jumbobox,18"s rear leccy windows etc?
Im driving a 105bhp classic for work and compared to my leon cupra with coilovers its scarey, but fun too if you dont tip it over the edge.

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Yeah it had 18's, red brake calipers, rear spoiler and a good stereo system.

The ride seemed softer than my FR but it did sacrifice some handling for it though

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
yeah, the way it changed just wasn't nice.... noticeable most in 'kick down' type mode the turbo would spool up, then drop a cog and need to spool up again. it made for a very lurchy drive when in environments where you changed speed - but was fine just sat on cruise control at a regular speed, but then so is any car

it just wasn't as smooth a drive as the regular g/box on the FR - which is great to drive.

MikeShaw100

Leon FR - White Lightning
Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
Why should I choose the Leon?[/QUOTE]

Why should I choose the Leon?[/QUOTE]

My Saab 93 2.0t is going (three years old) and I pick up my Leon FR 170 on Saturday after deliberating on what car to get for 5 months and test driving several competitors. In my view the Leon FR 170 is:-

1) Cheap - £15800otr new with a good std spec
2) Extras are reasonably priced
3) Residuals are great on Fr tdi's
4) Economy is great for those of us who travel alot
5) Its VAG engineered.
6) Its the best looking medium sized family car out there
7) When the wife and kids are not on board, by god you can have some fun.....!

Hope this helps you make an informed decision.:funk:

Mike
57 Leon FR170 - Crono Yellow, BT, Armrest, Chrome trim, Muddies and Mats.... for now

cpufreak

back in the UK
Nov 9, 2003
London, SW6
photo.ing.me.uk
My Saab 93 2.0t is going (three years old) and I pick up my Leon FR 170 on Saturday after deliberating on what car to get for 5 months and test driving several competitors. In my view the Leon FR 170 is:-

1) Cheap - £15800otr new with a good std spec
2) Extras are reasonably priced
3) Residuals are great on Fr tdi's
4) Economy is great for those of us who travel alot
5) Its VAG engineered.
6) Its the best looking medium sized family car out there
7) When the wife and kids are not on board, by god you can have some fun.....!

Hope this helps you make an informed decision.:funk:

Thanks Mike.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Yeah it had 18's, red brake calipers, rear spoiler and a good stereo system.

The ride seemed softer than my FR but it did sacrifice some handling for it though

Got a demo tonight for the next 4 days or so (hand it back on mon lunchtime)
1. black interior is excellent
2. steering and gearbox are light but not too light.
3. suspension is fine (compared to my coilovers)
4. power is funny, traction moving into 2nd is laughable but fine when used controlled manner and revs to 5k way too quickly for a derv.
5.looks are ace too, definately an imrovement over the pre facelifted version, foglights etc make it a lot meaner looking.
Pity that this motor was built before the recent 18" upgrade etc. But the one im ordering will be ordered before the end of the month when the offer ends.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.