Clutch Slipping!! Info Please! :-(

M6ccy69

My Other Beast Is a R1
Nov 18, 2006
Accrington
hi all, my leon fr 55 plate clutch, has just started slipping. I`m gutted, this sounds dear! Its only done 32k with a recent remap. Whats the score now, i.e what do i need? Been told by my brother who is a mechanic, that it may need a dual mass fly wheel, whats this exactly? how much we taking for bits & what do i need? cheers.

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
if you want an uprated one i have a sachs one fitted got no change from £1000including the DMF the labour was only £220 lol

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
i put it off for monhths and months till finally not being able to drive it, so had to get it done i think if you catch it early and the DMF is not damaged you can change just the plates, still looking at £700...

mine was really damaged so had to change it,

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
The Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) is there to prevent or reduce vibration from the clutch so it doesn't disintergrate under load.
If your clutch is slipping you have 4 options.
1) Ignore it and hope it will go away (not something i'd do)
2) Remove the map and drive it as standard
3) Take it to the dealers and hope they don't detect the map and replace the Clutch under warranty (if you have warranty left?)
4) Get some cash together and buy an uprated clutch

What ever happens, you need to do something (but not number 1)

M6ccy69

My Other Beast Is a R1
Nov 18, 2006
Accrington
The Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) is there to prevent or reduce vibration from the clutch so it doesn't disintergrate under load.
If your clutch is slipping you have 4 options.
1) Ignore it and hope it will go away (not something i'd do)
2) Remove the map and drive it as standard
3) Take it to the dealers and hope they don't detect the map and replace the Clutch under warranty (if you have warranty left?)
4) Get some cash together and buy an uprated clutch

What ever happens, you need to do something (but not number 1)

hey! was waiting for your reply! :funk: you think i`ll get it on warranty??

M6ccy69

My Other Beast Is a R1
Nov 18, 2006
Accrington
could do but i`ll lose my remap then, what would they do, test drive it? or plug it in. thought maps weren`t trace able?

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Even if you put a new standard clutch on it, and the remap back on, it will only be a matter of time before it slips again.

The only other "cheap" way to get around it is to go to your remap company & ask them to reduce your max torque (would have to be a custom map) - if not, you will need to remove the map or get the uprated clutch (I got mine for about £750)

If the clutch has started slipping since the remap presumably its to do with the remap. My understanding is that the characteristics of (some) remaps means the power is fed in a little less aggressively so the clutch doesn't slip. Maybe the map can be adjusted depending on the type of remap you have?

TBH that's why I left the power output standard as I didn't want any issues with the clutch and instead made it quicker through the corners with Koni coilovers. No problems with the clutch.....car has covered just under 50k miles.

I'd be amazed if the dealer will replace the clutch under warranty after 32k miles, whether of not they detect the remap. Good luck!

M6ccy69

My Other Beast Is a R1
Nov 18, 2006
Accrington
If the clutch has started slipping since the remap presumably its to do with the remap. My understanding is that the characteristics of (some) remaps means the power is fed in a little less aggressively so the clutch doesn't slip. Maybe the map can be adjusted depending on the type of remap you have?

TBH that's why I left the power output standard as I didn't want any issues with the clutch and instead made it quicker through the corners with Koni coilovers. No problems with the clutch.....car has covered just under 50k miles.

I'd be amazed if the dealer will replace the clutch under warranty after 32k miles, whether of not they detect the remap. Good luck!

yeah think i`ll be amazed to if it was covered on warranty. the remap company said it was a custom map & wasn`t putting much more torque due to the clutch issues. it is a smooth map. you think the dual mass will be ok meaning not having to replace it. just put a new clutch in, what about the bearing? how many parts are there to this clutch? i thought a clutch was a clutch

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
could do but i`ll lose my remap then, what would they do, test drive it? or plug it in. thought maps weren`t trace able?
Most aren't from what i gather, but i wouldn't want to run the risk personally.
If you ask them to reduce the torque (like ChrisUK suggests) and they agree, that could cure it. I'm under the impression that 300lb-ft is about the limit.
If not, ask them if they could remove it while you take it in to the dealers, and then put it back on once they decide if they can do it under warranty or not.
The dealers might refuse to replace it due to the milage, but these clutches are know to slip on standard cars with less milage, so they may do it without question. The clutch might slip again but it could buy enough time to replace it with something better.
At the end of the day, you can only ask.

M6ccy69

My Other Beast Is a R1
Nov 18, 2006
Accrington
no worries, i`ll ring them tomorrow, you think they would tell me over the phone, it only started to slip abit tonight in 3rd going on 4th. maybe it wouldn`t slip if it was to put back down to 150bhp to take to seat. They might say its not slipping.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Catch 22 really.
Check with them that they will cover it if it's found to be slipping.
If so, take it to them and offer to take them on a drive, but you can't leave the car with them on that day as you need to make travel arrangements for work.
Then speak to the remap company nicely asking if they will remove it for a short time and then put it back once the clutch is done.
A new clutch might hold out for you with the remap, and if not it will have cost you nothing to try (hopefully).
My clutch is standard and its holding out with no problems, and it was mapped at around 4,000 miles.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
25,000 roughly.
I couldn't say to be honest. My old car was mapped and it was in and out the dealers at least once a month (hence why i got rid of it) and they never found the map, despite being plugged into the computer everytime it went in.
Can't see why yours would be different.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.