Cupra TDI Test Drive

br1tt3n

Well, I took out a 54 Reg Cupra TDI today for an extended test drive and thought I'd post my results.

Now, since I've been 17 (now 22), I've always had revvy little Honda's and enjoyed every minute of spinning them up to 12,000 revs. So the whole diesel thing is completely new to me (although I drive 80bhp tdi vans at work now and again).

First impressions, bit rattley and tractor-like upon cold start, but to be fair I expecting that. As soon as we got going straight out into the 40 limt, it was surprisingly very refined even when stone cold. I whacked the climate straight onto freezing, and it was soon pouring out frosty air. So, around town, I didn't go over 2,500 revs and used minimal throttle to pootle about. Steering was nice and light and it was very very easy to drive. Gearbox feels a little looser than my Honda, but I've certainly felt worse.

We eventually get out onto the open road, half throttle this time, car nice and warmed up, 40 limit going into a 60, 4th gear; it picked up very very nicely, not explosive as I was only half throttle, but certainly brisk. Up at 60/70mph, it was very refined, not much tyre noise but I felt the steering was still very very light, felt a little "twitchy". Probably not used to it.

So we're out in a national limit in 6th gear and the salesman asks me to floor it in 6th to demonstrate the positves of a powerful diesel. Initially nothing happened and I thought he forgot to mention we left the turbo back at the showroom, but mid-thought, the Cupra surged up to 80/90 with what I'd describe as minimal effort. It was absolutely effortless.

Up to this point, I've yet to really give it "some beans". I warned the salesman that the next roundabout would see me testing its 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear power. Going round the roundabout in 2nd, and powering out onto the correct turnoff was an experience I've yet to come across. A, what can only be described as huge, surge of power came and rocketed me up the road. That initial "boost" of torque was very very addictive, a word of which I am used to when driving vtec engines.

Averaged 45mpg on the test drive, mixture of town and spirited A road driving, more refined than I was expecting, better quality interior than I was expecting and more fun than I was expecting.

I'm now going to sleep on it and maybe, just maybe, treat myself [B)]

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Good lad, my tdi pd 130 was a rocket standard and is even more a rocketship now, especially now its had the works on suspension and brakes, interior is great, after custom re-trim...

I'd buy a cupra next time as wouldn't have to spend upgrading but that's part of the fun :D

Glad you enjoyed it, buy one! :)

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Test drives are dangerous!!

I wanted to see why a diesel "hot hatch" cost £15k. I thought it was a joke...

1 month later I had a shiney black one parked on my drive :hide:

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Do it.

Good sensible write up. I moved from a Clio 172 to an EP3 CTR, then to my Cupra TDI. Yes, VTEC is sooo addictive, but the Cupra TDI power delivery is more useful in 95% of my driving. The one word I'd use to describe it? Effortless. I do missing the 5.8k revs feeling, but the torque at low revs more than makes up for it, for me.

FR*Man1984

time for a MINI adventure
great write up!
I was addicted to the FR I took out on a test drive, I went on a dual carridgeway, petrol station car park and a cinema car park (test suspension harshness)...wasn't really impressed only got half an hour! Bought the car, like a previous thread says...test-drives are DANGEROUS :p

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Same here, although I moved from a Punto 60s to a Ibiza Cupra TDI lol! 100 more horses! Test drove it then bought it one month later! Im only 21. Hence the crappy Fiat as a first car!

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
Good lad, my tdi pd 130 was a rocket standard and is even more a rocketship now, especially now its had the works on suspension and brakes, interior is great, after custom re-trim...

I'd buy a cupra next time as wouldn't have to spend upgrading but that's part of the fun :D

Glad you enjoyed it, buy one! :)

Custom re-trim...? did I miss that thread or something.

phil_monk

Aug 19, 2007
i took a FR TDI for a test drive for 4 hours from MK seat.

I loved it that much i went back and brought a Cupra TDI. but because i brought brand new i got to wait :cry::cry::cry:

Its killing me now [:@]

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
make sure you order it with some goodies hes says starting a list:-

Chrome interior bits, around the gear stick and air vents (really lift the interior)

br1tt3n

Have been back for another look.

Under closer inspection, I'd prefer a Cupra TDI with a few extra goodies, including the cruise control and sunroof, so for now, the search for the right car will go on. Also I wasn't happy with what the salesman was offering discount wise, so I walked away.

At least now I know what they drive like and what quality to expect. Its all about now trying to find the right one :)

phil_monk

Aug 19, 2007
Have been back for another look.

Under closer inspection, I'd prefer a Cupra TDI with a few extra goodies, including the cruise control and sunroof, so for now, the search for the right car will go on. Also I wasn't happy with what the salesman was offering discount wise, so I walked away.

At least now I know what they drive like and what quality to expect. Its all about now trying to find the right one :)

Last orders for new IBIZA's is the 1st of October. So if you want a new one (if you want a sunroof you will have to get a new one as theres hardly any around) then i would order soon

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise