Biodiesel

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
Well my Arosa manual says you can use RME biodiesel at any ratio so I was gonna give it a go! Trouble is my Diesel is fooked anyhow so now having a hard decision whether to get it repaired or not!?

Morg

Well thanks guys, i've put a tenner of the stuff in but won't be using anymore! when i think of it, its only like an 8p per litre saving, which if doing damage it certainly is not worth it. If it was more 20p a litre i may consider it :)

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
I think it should be the injectors that need to be worried about, (@£500+ a pop) however this is not a view shared by "Diesel Bob" take a look at his site, it surprised me

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
yeah as above, only cheep way is get a knackered old non turbo derv and stick asda no frills veg oil in it lol :) or have a friendly chippy owner donate ;) you do smell like a fast food outlet though when driving around.

i got stuck behind a dirty old 4x4 once and couldnt work out where the chippy smell was coming from, worked out it was infact the 4x4 infront.

A PD turbo is between £600 for an exchange item to £1800 for a new unit btw depending on the car, PLUS labour. personally, why bother. you get what you pay for.

Most Supermarket Diesel and Low Sulphur Diesel contains Bio Diesel. Stay well clear imho

horace1664

Jul 1, 2007
England
Most Supermarket Diesel and Low Sulphur Diesel contains Bio Diesel. Stay well clear imho

Don't know about Supermarket Diesel but Low Sulpher Diesel does, and the reason is Bio-Diesel is a far better lubricant than Petro Diesel and Low Sulpher Diesel in particular.

The main problem that I can find with Bio-Diesel (except gelling issues which can be overcome and that horrid device the DPF can not clean itself) is that it cleans out all the cr-p that Petro Diesel puts into your fuel system so the fuel filter can clog when changing from Petro to Bio).

I think the change of view that VAG made is down to the unknown issues such as low quality home brew Bio-Diesel and people still thinking that chip fat / veg oil is Bio-Diesel.

As long as folks continue to spread these scares, the petrol companies and good old Mr Brown are as happy as Larry!!!:)

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
:whistle:
Don't know about Supermarket Diesel but Low Sulpher Diesel does, and the reason is Bio-Diesel is a far better lubricant than Petro Diesel and Low Sulpher Diesel in particular.

The main problem that I can find with Bio-Diesel (except gelling issues which can be overcome and that horrid device the DPF can not clean itself) is that it cleans out all the cr-p that Petro Diesel puts into your fuel system so the fuel filter can clog when changing from Petro to Bio).

I think the change of view that VAG made is down to the unknown issues such as low quality home brew Bio-Diesel and people still thinking that chip fat / veg oil is Bio-Diesel.

As long as folks continue to spread these scares, the petrol companies and good old Mr Brown are as happy as Larry!!!:)
too true:censored:
however from my own observations Bio is fairly good down to about-8'C
and semisolid @-18'C so there is hope for most of us, but I've still not tried it in a PD, I guess we need to look to the Krauts for guidance/experience, I think Porsche ran some tests for Merc(god knows why) and were quiet impressed, with luck the filter should only get clogged once, and yes there is a LOT of crap trotted out as fact:whistle:

horace1664

Jul 1, 2007
England
:....but I've still not tried it in a PD, I guess we need to look to the Krauts for guidance/experience....:

Just looked in the owners manual (2007 Ibiza / Cordoba) and it lists Biodiesel to DIN EN 14214 (FAME) on 2G0 option cars.
The 1.4 TDIs and the 1.9 TDIs list fuel of Min 51 Cetan, but the Cupra has a note that you can not use Biodiesel.
Strange, I wonder why, I will have to look inside a few filler cap covers on other cars to see if they have the no Biodiesel sticker on them!

James

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Think you've hit the nail on the head - I reckon it's all down to avoiding too many warranty claims from people using fuel of uncontrolled quality.

L7 KVV

mALTEAser
Aug 27, 2007
just use red deisel. half the price. bit down on power but the saving more than makes up for it.

(ps. Im not condoning braking the law)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members