which oil filter cap wrench?

whiteknee

Apr 9, 2007
Oil filter cap on my 2002 Mk4 Ibiza 1.9TDi PD 100 bhp (ATD engine) looks different from what I can see on posts and net.

Can anyone tell me what to use to remove it? On the top it has 36mm diameter hexagonal piece with the widest part at the bottom of the cap having 12 rounded flutes. I have tried rubber strap wrench with no success. Am reluctant to use adjustable spanner as cap doesn't look too strong. I suspect there is a special cap wrench for it.

Also was wondering if oil filter I bought for it from dealer is right one. It has plastic stalk on it (part 071115562A) rather than looking like swiss roll. Can't check of course until I remove cap!

Any advice welcome

Whiteknee

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
I have one from halfords which looks like a tripod but essentially will only remove not tighten up. Be warned though unsrupulous mechanics can put them back on much too tightly and it makes them difficult to shift.[:@]

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Oil filter cap on my 2002 Mk4 Ibiza 1.9TDi PD 100 bhp (ATD engine) looks different from what I can see on posts and net.

Can anyone tell me what to use to remove it? On the top it has 36mm diameter hexagonal piece with the widest part at the bottom of the cap having 12 rounded flutes. I have tried rubber strap wrench with no success. Am reluctant to use adjustable spanner as cap doesn't look too strong. I suspect there is a special cap wrench for it.

Also was wondering if oil filter I bought for it from dealer is right one. It has plastic stalk on it (part 071115562A) rather than looking like swiss roll. Can't check of course until I remove cap!

Any advice welcome

Whiteknee
yes 36mm socket is best but the plastic is faily tough if you go carefull, the filter sounds OK (can't check the number) don't forget the O rings (2)

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Yeh the lollipop oil filter should be the one. I had a problem recently where the dealer gave me the swiss roll one and mine had the plastic stalk type

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
I got a blue belt thing to take mine off....

Does this type of oil filter lid thing only need tighting by hand still or should I give it another half twist more with the blue belt thingie?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I usually get mine off with a strap wrench, but first time I did it took some turning as the garage had done it up far too tight...

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002

Any advice welcome

Whiteknee
Is it the same cap as in these photos: http://www.seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/seat_ibiza_tdi_oil_change.htm

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.