am i a mug buying new?

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
intending to sell / trade in my mk1 fr tdi early next year for mk2 fr tdi. bought the mk1 new (my first new car ever) and was intending to do the same this time round as i like the idea of 3 yr warranty, no mot's etc etc. however quite a few of my work and personal mates are basically saying 'mug for buying new' mainly due to the losing £100's as soon as i drive it off the forecourt, a hit i'm aware of and pretty much prepared to take.

however, as always i look to you guys and girls for reasoned feedback. am i a mug for buying new? should i be looking for an ex demo or low mileage 1 owner and saving myself a few hundred?

advice / thoughts please.

amnesia

Edition 30
Apr 17, 2007
West Midlands
Considering the prices, you're not a mug. And nothing beats having a brand new car, ever. With the ex demo's and low mileages, you never know what's wrong. Brand new gives you everything YOU want. Rather than used, which can take time. You make the car. I've only ever brought one car brand new, I'll be getting my second brand new one shortly and you know what? I couldn't be more excited about it.

People buy brand new cars because the price is only 1 thousand more or something stupid like that, so for that little bit more, it's worth having a brand new one. Besides, you only shed a lot of value to begin with, you'll find it retains quite a lot during 3 years, as the used one wouldn't. 2nd or maybe 3rd registered keeper? Nothing beats the 1 owner policy! Lol. I think you should go for it, I am. =)

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Buying new is the best feeling, but as said you will take a hit money wise.
However, i've bought an EX demo car and a brand new one, and the ex demo felt like a loan car that i had for as long as i wanted..... the new one felt so much better ;)

Scottie2510

Sep 6, 2007
Buying now would be a good ideas. The stealers are quite and itching to sell cars hence good deals on new.

I've bought 5 of the 7 cars i've had new and prefer it due to knowing that there's no history and you've got warranty for any issues.

ste-lfc

Jul 7, 2005
cheshire
You cant beat buyin brand new outta the wrapper,and the lads at your work are probably a little envious.Sod them and get your order in :).......

nog

Sep 18, 2007
Shropshire
I was having the exact same dilema myself, having got some opinions on this thread I've decided new is the way to go

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144828

My next dilema in wether to buy now or wait until early January. I think the dealers are just as desperate either side of christmas but I'm thinking there might be a special offer in Q1 2008 that might benefit me (currently no deals on the FR TDi)

Oh yeah, also I'm thinking order January to get the next new reg in March (08 plate)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2006
Lichfield, Staffs
Depending on how long you keep it, new all the way! Bought my Ibiza brand new and it's the best thing I've ever done, know that I'm the only one to have ever driven it etc :D.

Trouble is if you only keep it a year or two you will take a hit - especially if you do really high miles. Dealer valued mine at 3.5k below list after 11 months! :(.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Stocky,

The tdi is popular for the obvious reason of fuel consumption. The tfsi is a much nicer engine in every way but only makes sense if you do less than 12k miles a year.

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
I was having the exact same dilema myself, having got some opinions on this thread I've decided new is the way to go

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144828

My next dilema in wether to buy now or wait until early January. I think the dealers are just as desperate either side of christmas but I'm thinking there might be a special offer in Q1 2008 that might benefit me (currently no deals on the FR TDi)

Oh yeah, also I'm thinking order January to get the next new reg in March (08 plate)

i am also thinking about placing my order in january for delivery asap! thanks for feedback everyone ... i've decided to opt for new again :D

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

give me a shout when you order and will see what i can do for you

Irfan

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
Getting into YOUR new car must rank as one of the best feelings in life:blink:
Honestly, the feeling that no one (apart from dodgy delivery/transporter drivers) have touched your new arrival borders on the pubescent fantasy scenes played out by 'most' of us!!

I love the feeling of a new car(as you probably can tell)-It is probably the second most expensive purchase of your life and it is something that most will cherish and love.

An extra 1k for that feeling that maybe lasts a month or 2?

DONE!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
I have only bought one new car brand new and that was the LCR, it did feel very good that morning. New car smell, only a few miles on the trip computer and knowing that I ran it in as it should be etc. Plus you pull up at the work car park and no matter what anyone says, if that reg plate came out THAT day people are envious and you do feel a smug git!

However modern cars are a lot more durable these days so if you buy a few month old one chances are with in a week you wouldn't have noticed the difference. You still get a long warranty and all the new car perks. Plus the cash you save you can look to get remaps etc!

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
I bought a pre reg 57 plate that had only 50 miles on it when it arrived. Saved myself nearly£2600 on the forecourt RRP. Only difference is that they put a numberplate on it when it was sitting in the compound and the dealer was the first name in the log book. Bought my last LC pre reg as well and saved nearly £2000 on the price of that. Makes absoultely no difference for trade in at the other end and you still gwet your three years warrenty and recovery.

So basically a brand new car driven by nobody apart from the transporter driver's and the mechanic doing the PDI for £2600 less than list. Why would you buy brand new when you can get deals like that?

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
But then if you buy new you can have it exactly the way you want it. If you buy ex-demo / pre-reg then you miss out on the options and colour that you might have gone for having ordered it.

I would always buy new given the choice.

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
I wanted a silver one - and got a silver one!

Did however want the 18's and the blue tooth but for an extra £2600 in my pocket i can live with the 17's and my jabra ear piece!

If i was ordereing from the factory i would have went with the extra airbags in the back as well.

The reason i now look for pre reg is that i lost so much money on selling my ibiza cupra and saxo vtr that i bought brand new! so I now look for a saving when buying to offset the depreciation.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.