Is this the gearbox oil fill hole?

rtrotter

Need to change transmission fluid at the weekend, garage that did the clutch have used something too sticky and the recent cold weather is starting to make gear changes quite tough until warmed up.

Just want to make sure I have everything to hand before starting as I don't want to be stranded with an empty transmission!

Is the circled hole (with and without plug) in this O2M the fill hole, I know where the drain is on the bottom with the ridiculous socket - i haven't got round to checking which type so I don't know if its the security type or now yet.

And I guess it's just a fill till you reach the hole kind of approach - any ideas on amount - I would guess between 2 and 3litres?

o2m.jpg

Lastly, will be aiming to get hold of some Redline MT-90 as this seems to be the fluid of choice in a lot of VAG forums for this gearbox. Any ideas where I might find this in the UK, will it need to be mail order? Anyone suggest something alternate that I could pick up from halfords/garages etc.

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
havent experience of it on a leon, but done it on other cars in past
looks like correct ones circled

i always filled from top of car with hosepipe and fill until fluid starts to seep out then quickly get the plug back in and thats the correct level-that was fill plug on side

check manual mate, see what it says

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
Eh no, thats not the fill hole, would not recommend putting oil down there, thats the flywheel mark check hole!

rtrotter

Eh no, thats not the fill hole, would not recommend putting oil down there, thats the flywheel mark check hole!

Exactly the reason I am asking for some advice here prior to beginning the work!!!

Thanks for saving me, no doubt a weekend full of grief - if not more.

Any suggestions where I should be looking for the fill hole?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
N34-1071.png

‒ → Unscrew oil level control plug -arrow-.
‒ On gearboxes with toothed plugs, use tool T20118 to loosen the oil level control plug.
The gearbox oil level is correct if the box is full up to the lower edge of the filling hole.

‒ Fit a new plug -arrow-, and tighten to 30 Nm.
To completely fill the gearbox with new oil you must:

‒ Fill with oil up to the lower edge of the filling hole.
‒ Fit the plug -arrow-.
‒ Start the engine, engage a gear and let the gearbox shafts turn for approx. 2 minutes.
‒ Stop the engine and remove the plug -arrow-.
‒ Top up with gear oil up to the lower edge of the filling hole if necessary.
‒ Fit a new plug -arrow-, and tighten to 30 Nm

Last edited:

rtrotter

N34-1071.png
[/IMG]

‒ On gearboxes with toothed plugs, use tool T20118 to loosen the oil level control plug.
The gearbox oil level is correct if the box is full up to the lower edge of the filling hole.

‒ Fit a new plug -arrow-, and tighten to 30 Nm.
To completely fill the gearbox with new oil you must:

‒ Fill with oil up to the lower edge of the filling hole.
‒ Fit the plug -arrow-.
‒ Start the engine, engage a gear and let the gearbox shafts turn for approx. 2 minutes.
‒ Stop the engine and remove the plug -arrow-.
‒ Top up with gear oil up to the lower edge of the filling hole if necessary.
‒ Fit a new plug -arrow-, and tighten to 30 Nm

Fantastic reply, thanks very much. Shall have a look around to locate it. Thanks.

coullstar

Oct 12, 2007
Aberdeen
Yes the hole for filling is usually on the front side of the gearbox. Use a short piece of garden house with a funnel to fit it up.

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
make sure the drainage plug is tight when you've finished. mine was so loose that there was only a couple of turns left before it would've fallen out. i never noticed any leaks but my gearbox got noisey so i had it looked at. i had it all topped up and everything tightened but the damage had been done, where everything had got hot due to lack of oil it had become brittle so 4th, 5th and the lay shaft lunched themselves. i'm over a grand poorer now! :(

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
i always filled from top of car with hosepipe and fill until fluid starts to seep out then quickly get the plug back in and thats the correct level-that was fill plug on side

ahaaaa
i was nearly there
pics look spot on for what i was saying about being on the side

L3DNT

My Leon also stiff to engage 2nd gear when its cold............ isnt this likely to be something more than just fluid thats too thick?

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
I've just booked my LC in for its 90000 service at jbs. Does anyone think it would be worth having the gearbox oil done?
Is it changed at any other service interval? :think:

rtrotter

Thank you very much to everyone who has contributed to this thread today.

It is an O2M 6 Speed gearbox.

I now have the locations of the Fill/Check Hole and the Drain Hole.

It's a 17mm allen key socket to remove the plugs, fortunately not the security type which would require purchasing of a special tool.

Opieoils (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/) have the Redline MT-90 (75w90) Transmission fluid - it's £13.99l and will probably require 3l to ensure you have enough. This has had some good reviews around the forums, vwvortex etc. with this gearbox.

Opieoils have also confirmed that it's a fully synthetic 0w30 oil for the engine which meets the VW502 recommendation, take a look at 8100 X-Lite 0w-30 £42 for 5 litres - think I will pass on their number to my local seat stealer who continue to insist that 10w40 part syn is correct.

So I guess unless I can find the redline some where local I will be waiting till next weekend to do the work.

On another note, if you do have the security type plugs here is a link to the tool which will remove them, it's the first one listed on this page.
http://www.germanautoparts.com/tools/Volkswagen/Clutch & transmission tools#5

Last edited by a moderator:

Romeoisgraham

Mr Harris
Aug 14, 2007
On the run
public.fotki.com
havent experience of it on a leon, but done it on other cars in past
looks like correct ones circled

Spot on...........us good guys gotta keep them ''others'' in check.

nutter_engineer

Feb 16, 2007
Looking to change the gearbox oil in my LCR next week and was wondering if anyone still has the pictures that were posted on this thread and could upload them. Want to make sure where the drain/filler plugs are and this would greatly help me out.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members