Number Plates

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
As far as I know, they are only allowed to keep the car here for the maximum of a year on it's original plates and it must be roadworthy in accordance with the laws of the country it's from. After this time, the owner must 'import' the car to this country and have it issued with UK plates etc

caveo

cheers leigh , most av been here for around 2-3 years and still running polish (illegal) plates on their rusty rides.

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
I was just asking, you said “you would pull him” I guess I kida took you too literal, I hope I haven’t offended by asking, I just thought It would be kool to have a cop on the forum

I work for the DfT and have the powers to stop any vehicle under my warrant. No offence taken, i dont think i can ever get offended unless you take the p**s out of my car and that wont happen;)

With regards to the vehicles brought here by people from other countries (spain, poland, germany) they are able to use there vehicle for 6 months before they have to register it here on British plates and undergo the British MOT which is a lot stringent than our fellow European members.

Obviously this never happens because they are still driving around on there old countries plates. There are alot down here in Plymouth too.

Unfortunately for all this to happen Immigration and the DVLA would have to work closely and work on the problem.

caveo

so if i put on some polish plates n told dvla iv moved to poland i could drive round and play ignorant like they do ( ps im not a racist iv got alot of polish friends who do obey the law with english cars but they are in the minority) with no tax or mot??

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
so if i put on some polish plates n told dvla iv moved to poland i could drive round and play ignorant like they do ( ps im not a racist iv got alot of polish friends who do obey the law with english cars but they are in the minority) with no tax or mot??

I dont know what the law is in Poland for getting your car registered over there, but if you did manage it it would cost you the travelling over there, the price of registering over there (dont forget you will need an address, one of your friends could help you:)), the plates themselves and then the MOT in Poland.

Then you would come back here and drive around and play ignorant like you said but your driving a right hand drive car on Polish plates which is gonna get you alot more attention from the law.

If you went to all that trouble then yes I reckon you would prob get away with it.:)

caveo

Was'nt realy thinking about it , it just miffs me when my cars MOTed and taxed but id get pulled for having german or spanish plates and these rust buckets get away with it

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Was'nt realy thinking about it , it just miffs me when my cars MOTed and taxed but id get pulled for having german or spanish plates and these rust buckets get away with it

Thats exactly how i feel! It p's me off to think that I pay all my taxes and they get away with murder, literally! Hopefully my organistion will enforce a little more onto the foreign cars. We do look at HGV's and PSV's on foreign journeys but not the smaller vehicles. Maybe i will ask that question at my next meeting!

Unfortunately the german or spanish plates are illegal so you will get pulled. Like I said earlier the whole police force are cracking down on them so maybe they will get the b******s that are still driving in this country from are european brothers!

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
isnt it true you cant have any emblem on the side of your "standard" plate either

Your right no you cant. Just GB or where your from i.e England, Wales, Scotland.

I recieved an email today from the powers above stating that, due to technical reasons, number plates cannot be failed at test for:- being misread, no BS standard, not correctly spaced, reflective film over the front, letters not of the correct standard, no name of plate manufacturer on the bottom, different colours and different nationalities. I think thats it.

So if your car is up for test very soon at least it cant fail on number plates!

midcuk

never confused!
Jun 20, 2001
newcastle
Visit site
Your right no you cant. Just GB or where your from i.e England, Wales, Scotland.

I recieved an email today from the powers above stating that, due to technical reasons, number plates cannot be failed at test for:- being misread, no BS standard, not correctly spaced, reflective film over the front, letters not of the correct standard, no name of plate manufacturer on the bottom, different colours and different nationalities. I think thats it.

So if your car is up for test very soon at least it cant fail on number plates!

best leave number plates as is then ! remember hearing that one ages ago and thinking it was a bit daft if characters are correct font spaced etc y bother.

and reflective film???

tompotts

Touch me in the morning!
Mar 17, 2007
When it comes to non-legal plates ignorance is bliss, I got off when i got pulled, on the promise I would change them ASAP. All seemed fine, but you should be warned that there is nothing you can do when you wake up in the morning to find a fixed penalty notice on your car for non legal plates. £30 a day by the patrolling bobby is a steep price to pay, I changed them shortly after. Wouldnt bother if I was you, unless they are only for putting on at shows. Sorry to be a kill joy.

ps. The plate in my sig, was the one I got done for, so anything more than that i would definitely avoid

Last edited:

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
When it comes to non-legal plates ignorance is bliss, I got off when i got pulled, on the promise I would change them ASAP. All seemed fine, but you should be warned that there is nothing you can do when you wake up in the morning to find a fixed penalty notice on your car for non legal plates. £30 a day by the patrolling bobby is a steep price to pay, I changed them shortly after. Wouldnt bother if I was you, unless they are only for putting on at shows. Sorry to be a kill joy.

ps. The plate in my sig, was the one I got done for, so anything more than that i would definitely avoid

Sorry mate! just posted a reply on the other thread about your plates! Good man for changing them, always better to be legal.

tompotts

Touch me in the morning!
Mar 17, 2007
Yeah just caught your reply on the other thread, cheers ed! And yes it is definately better to be safe then sorry. Illegal plates cost me £30 for the fine and another £30ish for new legal plates at halfrauds, and almost cost me some points and £1000 when I got pulled because I hadnt changed my address on my licence, an issue I wouldnt have ahd if my plates had been legal, so the moral of the story is... encouraging the police to pull you over is just increasing your chance of getting done for something!

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Just an update.

Spoke to a a friend of mine from the traffic cops here in Plymouth about easily misread number plates and ones that are in correctly spaced to make a 'word'.

He has been told from his superiors that the DVLA would like to know about any number plate that the police (traffic) see and deem to be illegal. What happens then is that the DVLA will keep a record of the plate and if it plate crops up (misread/illegal) again they will enforce their powers and take the vehicle reg thats on there and issue a Q plated registration which will then stay with the vehicle for life.

He then told me that he has only heard of one person having this done so far in the country and that reg mark was R1 0UNT but should have read R10 UNT, you get the jist of it C U Next Thursday!:whistle:

justin_cupra

LCR 225
Jul 17, 2007
Basingstoke
Not being a b@@@@@d but if I was to see you driving on the road I would have to pull you over and prohibit your car from driving any further on the public highway. At MOT they will fail you for them.

The police mind you will prosecute and you give you penalty points.

So basicly dont bother. Sorry buddy.:)

Penalty points..........don't think so, £30 ticket.....certainly no points....

justin_cupra

LCR 225
Jul 17, 2007
Basingstoke
Just an update.

Spoke to a a friend of mine from the traffic cops here in Plymouth about easily misread number plates and ones that are in correctly spaced to make a 'word'.

He has been told from his superiors that the DVLA would like to know about any number plate that the police (traffic) see and deem to be illegal. What happens then is that the DVLA will keep a record of the plate and if it plate crops up (misread/illegal) again they will enforce their powers and take the vehicle reg thats on there and issue a Q plated registration which will then stay with the vehicle for life.

He then told me that he has only heard of one person having this done so far in the country and that reg mark was R1 0UNT but should have read R10 UNT, you get the jist of it C U Next Thursday!:whistle:

spot on mate! The DVLA are really starting to get to grips with this now.....

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
I am def the bearer of bad news!:D

Its is about time really. The DVLA have tried palming it off to VOSA and now the Police.

The police where first giving out fixers, then if caught again prosecuting. But now the DVLA are sorting it out with 'Q' plated registrations it should deter people from doing it.

The only good thing with having a 'Q' plated reg'd car is that when it goes in for MOT the emissions are only visual!:wtf:as its treated as being pre 1975.

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Going back to the polish plate thing. What happens if a polish car gets zapped by a gatso?

Surely the UK reg database doesn't cover polish or other EU plates.
So does it mean they get away scott free :censored:

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Going back to the polish plate thing. What happens if a polish car gets zapped by a gatso?

Surely the UK reg database doesn't cover polish or other EU plates.
So does it mean they get away scott free :censored:

I dont think so. Details of the vehicle should be passed on to the authorities from where the car is registered, and then dealt with there. Dont qoute me on that though.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise