Should I be worried??

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
When fitting my Forge FMIC to my 2003 LCR 75,000 miles there was what could only be described as a large amount of oil in the passagers side SMIC ie the one before the turbo.
I think there was somewhere between 150 and 200 mls of oil in there. The inside of the hoses were all well coated with oil aswell.
Should I be worried??
Is this a sign of a turbo on its way out?
I've been infront :)D) of alot of my friends in quite spirited drives and noone has said anything about my car burning oil.:shrug:

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Mines was exactly the same, dont know the reasoning as to why it happens but as far as im aware its common.

The boost pipe to the right hand of the inlet mani is usually covered in oil too. if the IC underneath is soaking, its obviously dripping down from here.

I take it drivers side IC was fine?

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
The turbo shaft spins on a cushion of oil. It spins so fast and is under such pressure that it is only natural that some of it woudl vapourise and escape into the airflow only then to be deposited on the inside of the hoses. All turbo cars do it

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Yep,mine has light film of oil on inside of boost pipes too,i agree with mashoo about small amounts of oil,the other thing is does the engine breather redirect fumes back into airflow?,not sure if it does but that would deposit a film of oil over time wouldnt it.My pevious car went in for service at dealers and they found some oil on intercooler pipes and said turbo was shot,although it wasnt using oil and no smoke which is a give away,said i needed new turbo and as it was warranty i didnt argue,latter i was down at jabba and they said its perfectly normal to find small quanties of oil on pipework etc.Just shows what dealers know.

TBCupraT

Limp Mode Squad ™
The oil in the intercooler pipes is more to do with the PCV system re introducing the vapour back into the TIP.

Something to do with emissions I seem to recall.
To avoid this oil build up in the charge pipes most people install Oil Catch Tanks.

Hope this helps.

POWELLY

Dodger
Apr 25, 2007
Halifax
To be totally honest i haven't noticed a huge diffrence, it does feeler more responsive but not as big a diffrence as i'd have expected .

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
yeah, my SMIC to TB hoses have had a small smearing of oil on them whenever ive taken them off

its normal so as said i wouldnt worry

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Okay, where does the catch tank fit into the equation, what benifits will this give me (obviously not power) and is it easy to fit inot a 2003 LCR with BMC CDA

Cheers

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members