Coil Packs - patent or genuine?

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
I've done a search for coil packs and patent parts but not come up with anything, so apologies if this has been covered.

I'm ordering a couple of spares and wondering if there was a known difference, possibly in reliability / life of Coil Packs. Other than the price of about a tenners difference? I've opted for genuine.

They also come up with funny names, either Ignition Coil or Individual Pencil Coils, I was expecting the description of Coil Pack personally.

MikeA

MAF Destroyer
Nov 14, 2005
Northants
The Ibiza's have individual coils rather than coilpacks. i.e you have to buy 4 seperate coils (one for each plug)

Some cars (like pug / citroens) have packs which contail all the coils inside one unit if that makes sense.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Older cars came with an individual coil and newer cars came with 4x "pencil" coils which sit on top of the plugs. The old ones are known as "Ignition transformers" on ETKA/ETOS.

We sell choices at work but I always recommend genuine.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2005
London
i found that SKoda charged less then vw audi and seat where i live. by about £5 each! same part, no difference.

Was that a coilpack ending with the part number R?

Has anyone bought them from a VW/Audi/Skoda garage recently? my local Seat garage is shut for a stock take and im desperate for a couple of coils....

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise