Big or small port head??

ian_cupra

can someone please clear this up for me

i've bought a stainless manifold for my cupra, when i took the old one off, the new manifolds ports were smaller than my standard one. been told my cupra had the wrong manifold on in the first place. but why would this be or are the guys i bought it from trying to fob me off

does the AYP enigne come with the big port head?? or do i have the wrong standard manifold on it?

cheers guys, ian

t18con.

all ibizas are small port. the problem lies in the fact that stainless piping only comes in 2 sizes that are close to the ibizas port size, one being smaller than large port (38mm from memory)the other being 50mm or something thats massive, no steps in between.

ian_cupra

so surely the new manifold will restrict more than the old one

t18con.

what size is your piping, maybe theyve went to the smaller size than the 38mm???

ian_cupra

not too sure to be honest, i'll find out tomorrow, they just said there a large port and small port one, and i've got the small, due to the car

ian_cupra

DSC00094.jpg

theres the difference in ports. MASSIVE difference

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
That's tiny! Should be the same as the existing. Small/large port on the 1.8T is just the inlet size, don't think its for exhaust ports!

Looks like you new exhaust mani will be more restrictive than your existing! The diameter should match the exhaust port! So which one does?

ian_cupra

well i think new one is wrong to be honest, original one shouldnt be wrong, plus would prob blow if ports were to big.

it looks like the new one will be alot more restrictive doesnt it

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
I wouldn't be happy with that mate TBH, it's meant to be a higher flowing mani you'd want to see the same port diameter or bigger! The lips will cause massive turbulance to the exhasut gases trying to exit the cylinders!

ian_cupra

exactly, will ring them tomorrow and sort it, wanted it on for saturday as well! trackday on :(

wazo

Oct 13, 2003
lincoln
Visit site
true the only difference in the large/small port is the inlet manifold and not the exhaust manifold there exactly the same all cupra 1.8t small port golf 1.8t large port what you have there is a piece of engineering rubbish and i wouldnt want to put that on my car

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise