No Drivers Side tail light or front side light

njk80

Hi guys been on ur site in the past and its got me out trouble a few times :D thanking you kindly for that [B)]

Signed up today cos ive currently got this electrical problem at the mo thats driving mad all the fuses are fine checked / changed bulbs front and back but I just cant get the drivers side tail light or front side light to work even though the drivers side brake light does

really cant think what else to do apart from taking the fuse box apart or playing with the relays that or ring the dealer

Anyone else had this before or got any ideas ?

Riko

MURDER WAGON
Jun 10, 2007
Milton Keynes
Ive just had exactly the same problem as u. I think i got water on the ECU while i was washing the car which blew my front right bulb and disabled the right rear light, although the brake light would come on still. Double check all your fuses, dont jus go by what the book says as i found out it wasnt the obvious one (cant member the exact 1 which went) . Also make sure u havent got too higher amp fuse in anywhere cos this will cause no end of electrical probs... hope this helps? :rolleyes:

ljbinks

Mar 22, 2006
south wales - pontypridd
most cars i know have the same fuse for the front and rear lights but use different fuse for either side, so as you got a problem with both lights on the same side i would definitely double check the fuses

Eternal Rage

Scooby & Cordy Powered
Mar 22, 2005
Manchester
i had exactly the same problem with my rear taillight - brake light fine, but no tail...

...mine was the actual circuit board the bulb twists onto... handy having a spare leon lying around to remover parts from at will, lol...

njk80

Well after a few more hours messing about and getting nowhere I think ive tracked which fuse it would be 16 i think and 17s the left hand side double checked all the fuses and they are all original ones anyway but that fuse Im guessing it is has no power to it (its definatly not blown and ive swaped it for the left hand side on too) and not knowing what relays might control it or having any electrical diagrams etc so ive admitted defeat and the fact im bound to get pulled over for it Ive booked in at the local auto electrical place for them to give it a go tomorrow will let u know what happens

Last edited by a moderator:

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
I had a similar problem, but i'd used the wrong brake light bulb. I;d pinched a spare from my missus car, that only had one connection on the bottom.
Swapped it for another bulb with two connections, and that sorted the problem.

It affects the front lights, as they are all connected on a per side basis.

njk80

Aye thought about that too checked the front bulb and back bulb with a tester also changed the back one too as thats all i thought it was originally but after changing both back bulbs left and right (thought while i was there might as well) and the left still worked but the right was still dead also tested the old bulb i took out and it looked a bit black but thats probably just cos its 7 years old both the brake and tail light connections were still good

njk80

Just dropped it of this morning so they got the car now soon find out ... hopefully

I've got a similar problem... just it involves my brake lights. The bulbs/fuses are fine. But now and again my brake lights will stop working, I give them a dunt and they work again for a while then stop. I was driving for a week with just my spoiler brake light... not very good on the M8 in dreadful weather!

njk80

well they just rang back and said the faults with the rotary switch on the dash board £59 quid for a new one apparntly cant get one until monday though which is no bother they are only across the road from my work so im all good .... possibly ..

njk80

Aye It wouldnt have thought it would have been that but not knowing what terminals are on the back of it and there only being a few relays in there somethings got to switch both left and right circuits

Well we will soon see at least when monday comes and that still doesnt fix it i can blame them but I checked everything else several times I knew it wasnt getting power to the fuse so it had to be something behind the dash

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.