Porter Cable 7424 Buying Advice?

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
Guys.

I'm thinking of treating myself to a PC7424 for Xmas/New Year.

I've been having a look on Autopia and apart from them being currently out of stock, this seems to be the best place to get one according to most people.

What i'm after is what pads i should be looking at as a newbie to accompany the device?

I've been looking at these Sonus SFX Foam Pads in particular the kits for $36.80 and also these Sonus SFX Spot Pads.

What do you think?

Rubbish Boy

Autopia is almost certainly the best place to get a PC. I would think most of us PC owners bought from there. However I don't think you will get a PC from them anymore, now the UDM (an evolution of the PC) is in full swing that is going to replace it (if it hasn't already) on Autopia.

For the UDM those pads will be a good choice, get a few of each. I found I used the white and red pads the most, only occasionally had to crack open a yellow.

Also are you aware of the Megs G220, this is another evolution of the PC, it is 240v so you don't need a transformer, it is CE approved, and will be readily available in the UK from megs retailers. Should be available sometime in the couple of weeks.

Chris20vT

Touch the pipe...!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2006
Norwich
Autopia is the best place to get these, as mentioned already if the PC is being phased out, look for some deals on the site. I got mine from them but bought a package deal:-

PC7424.
3 sonus pads (Light, medium & heavy cut)
Velcro backing plate.
Sonus swirl polish.
2 buffing bonnets.
2 sonus buffing towels.

$210.00 including delivery (About £110.00)

Of course you need your step-down 110v transformer as well and re-wire the plug to fit the 110v transformer.

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
Ah right

Are PC not going to release a replacement product for the 7424 then?

Like i said i've just been having a brief look at pads and what not for a novice such as myself.

Is the UMD a good buy/replacement for the PC then?

Rubbish Boy

I think as far as Autopia are concerned the UDM is the replacement for the PC, pretty much the same machine but with more power and a few subtle differences.

The Meguiars machine is also very similar to a PC (I believe it is based on a PC like the UDM) and if I was in the market to buy a new one at the moment, I think I would go for the Meguairs one.

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
The UK Version of The UDM is just taking so bloody long to appear though!

I'd be interested to see what someone who has experience with the PC, the UDM and the Megs version has to say on the pros and cons of each.

mattbeef

Apr 10, 2007
Sheffield
Ive used the PC a fair bit and have a UDM myself.
I find the UDM better than the PC purely because the UDM was designed to fix a few things with wrong the PC such as vibration.

As for the Megs. A mate of mine is getting one for crimbo as a replacement for his dieing PC so it will be nice to see how it compares

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Not a good time to think about selling a Brand spanking new PC , never been used with all the polishing pads and backing plates is it....... !!!

SP_A0064.jpg

20-06-06_1756.jpg

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.