Who's been up against a Civic Type R?

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I was thinking about this last night and the ACTR is over 200KG heavier that the the CTR.

No surprises there, but when you think about it that's another thirty odd stone!

It's just like having two fat bl.. birds in the back!:whistle:

Not really a comparison then, merely an observation.

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
I do think a CTR is a better allround track machine.

The Leon is a shitty ride for the bends...

Lets not forget that the CTR is a more recent chassis developed on its own.

Our cars are a little dated and are based on other VAG platforms.

Craigc

Dec 9, 2004
Edinburgh
Having owned a Cupra R and now owning a New Civic Type R. I can say the Cupra R is faster, especially since mine was re-mapped. One thing I do notice about the Civic is that it handles better than the Leon although the ride is firmer

Oh and the LCR is much faster than an Accord type R, I bet one by a second over the quarter mile when my car was standard

Last edited:

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Just been looking at the clip in your sig, what bhp is the ibiza running at :D Very impressed how quick it pulls ahead

It wrecks the CTR mate and both my mates m3's up till about 155,
the car was claimed by jabba to be 251bhp, but it was run at Dastek 2 days before these videos were taken, last month at 227bhp and the guy said it was running lean tho!

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Just had a drag with CTR, i mange to give it car gap all the way to 100. The funnist thing was a box shape civic - K reg - GT badge on the boot. under took both of us :cartman:
CTR driver was shocked,

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Is your car standard mate?
Theres 2 EG civic kicks about my way that are quick!
Ones a 1.6 single cam vtec with a turbo and the other has an ITR engine in it!

Well no, remap, filter, rear exhuast+ octane stuff.
Didnt hear any dump valve but could hear the vtec on it due to exhaust. 2nd gear i gapped it but in my 4th gear he started pulling slowy behind me. CTR driver gave up :rolleyes:

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Overal the CTR demolished me on the round abouts, couldnt keep the car glued to the road while applying the power to the wheels, need to sort me suspension out. plus my front tyres need changing again as, it spun al the time, 1st 2nd 3rd.

bcstudent

Boost FTW
Apr 17, 2005
Norwich, UK
This is definitely not the weather for racing cars like the Civic around roundabouts. With almost twice the peak torque of a CTR at 2500rpm, wheelspin and understeer are inevitable. Challenge them to a 4th gear 40-100mph race :)

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
This is definitely not the weather for racing cars like the Civic around roundabouts. With almost twice the peak torque of a CTR at 2500rpm, wheelspin and understeer are inevitable. Challenge them to a 4th gear 40-100mph race :)

Well dont think he want to, plus ive cut down due to bad weather.

Nev_LCR

Gone... but not forgoten
May 16, 2007
Ipswich, Suffolk
my mates got a CTR, was up against him in a strait line, even till 120 and i started to move forward a bit, not much though, pretty even,

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
I thought VVT was only there for emissions purposes and offers no power advantage.

Yeh , was thinking that also but read some were that the vvt engine pushes more to the end of the rev rane as the non vvt tend to die out. Unless i missed something out. Correct me if im wrong :think:

Last edited:

browner01

Mikey B
Oct 4, 2007
i would deffinately say that the LCR is alot beter handling than the CTR, iv had 1st had experince in whatching one take to the grass and bushes.

bcstudent

Boost FTW
Apr 17, 2005
Norwich, UK
i would deffinately say that the LCR is alot beter handling than the CTR, iv had 1st had experince in whatching one take to the grass and bushes.
I'd imagine that was more down to the driver than the car. The CTR is the better handling of the two, but I only say that based on my own limited experience...and the words of Tiff Needel!

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
LCR is not as good on the twisties as the CTR, end of!!! And grip isn't the problem either.. Having owned a CTR for 3 years and 100,000k and the LCR for just under 3 years and 80,000k I thik I can give a good unbiased opinion.. The LCR has a lot more grip than the CTR i've found (well with Conti sports on it anyway) and mine's mapped!!!! The CTR is a lot more chuckable though, the better handler and just more fun in general..
As for speed. Same skilled driver in both, similar to about 90, then the CTR will start to edge away, tried and tested many many times with my cars and my mates.. But obviously people meeting others on road will have different outcomes as more than likely driving skill..
Both great cars though, leave it at that I say..

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Ben once again thank you!
I'm getting sick of these posts, CTR has much much worse grip than the LCR, agree and also agree with the facts on speed!
CTR just has it tho!

Check out my vids below to see a wee Ibiza doing the damage on one!

chriswilks

Astra CDTi track car
Jun 3, 2007
warrington cheshire
i had an 05 civic sport and that felt horrible of the line even with 115 bhp!!but ive never had a fwd car sideways as much!!!ultimate lift off oversteer!great cars to throw around just not as driveable as the cupras!!torque more than anything.new type r isnt as fast as the last.fact.

they sound great with a filter on too!!no turbo tho is it!!

ben id have to agree.there aint much between them,do think the leon is a nicer place to sit tho.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.