Few Queries re my new Altea

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Have had my 2.0TDI DSG for a week now. Impressed so far although the interior fit/finish/trim/quality and hifi isn't a patch on my Alfa 166. Surprising for a car that is 8 years newer in design. I paticularly notice how tinny/hollow the doors are/sound on opening/closing.

Few queries:
Wipers - both front and rear wipers but esp front wipers are next to useless ( I doubt they would pas an MOT) I've thoroughly cleaned both the wiper blade and glass but it just smears all over the screen. Is this normal I hope not, or are the blades knackered?

Cruise - should there be a light on dash somewhere when cruise control is active?

CD - should the player play mp3s burnt onto a CD? I'm sure the hire car I had 3 years ago had this feature. Or is it fussy about the burn format/method.

Irritating that there is no permanent clock display. Why didn't they build one into the radio display?

Throttle it little bit too on/off at idle, even with DSG, take off can be a bit jerky. Perhaps an ecu reset might help with this?

Tyres - is it possible to fit a 215 aspect tyre on 16" rim? They look a little skinny on 205s

niddvaleseat

I've read your other thread too and have to ask where did you buy this car from?

If it was a SEAT Approved dealer it should have had wipers checked and replaced if worn, tyres checked and replaced if worn and if it's got the rails for the extra shelf in the boot it should have the shelf!

Seems like you've not had particularly good service

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
richard alexander Seat, Huddersfield.
they did admit the tyres were below 2mm, eventually. "The technician's gauge was faulty"
Is that a euphemism for trying to pull a fast one?
Going back to them about shelf. Saleslady was a bit vague whn I querired it intially.

Redcupra20vt

Jan 9, 2004
kent
Visit site
Have had my 2.0TDI DSG for a week now. Impressed so far although the interior fit/finish/trim/quality and hifi isn't a patch on my Alfa 166. Surprising for a car that is 8 years newer in design. I paticularly notice how tinny/hollow the doors are/sound on opening/closing.

Few queries:
Wipers - both front and rear wipers but esp front wipers are next to useless ( I doubt they would pas an MOT) I've thoroughly cleaned both the wiper blade and glass but it just smears all over the screen. Is this normal I hope not, or are the blades knackered?

Cruise - should there be a light on dash somewhere when cruise control is active?

CD - should the player play mp3s burnt onto a CD? I'm sure the hire car I had 3 years ago had this feature. Or is it fussy about the burn format/method.

Irritating that there is no permanent clock display. Why didn't they build one into the radio display?

Throttle it little bit too on/off at idle, even with DSG, take off can be a bit jerky. Perhaps an ecu reset might help with this?

Tyres - is it possible to fit a 215 aspect tyre on 16" rim? They look a little skinny on 205s

My wipers work really well

no light for cruise im afarid

CD player will say MP3 on the front if it will play them

take off is never "jerky" in mine

Paul

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Now I have checked manual there SHOULD be a light in centre of speedo that shows up with cruise on. I would consider this an essential safety feature?

niddvaleseat

Now I have checked manual there SHOULD be a light in centre of speedo that shows up with cruise on. I would consider this an essential safety feature?

It's dependant on the model year of the car, at present the only SEAT that has a cruise control light is the Alhambra.

The manual hasn't been updated yet to show this change but your local dealer will be able to demonstrate on their cars if necessary.

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Few queries:

Hi ... sorry to be a little harsh, but those "queries" can be easily answered by using the board-search:

=> Cruise Control

=> Altea's MP3 Player (post#3)

=> permanent clock within instruments ... only comes with the large MFD (in combinaltion with CD3/Navi & BTbox) or if completely without board computer (then there is only a static display with milage, temperature & clock).

=> TDI+DSG ECU Update

greets ... Klaus

Merino

Hi CrispDust,

You should be fine just copying MP3 files onto a CD - I've done this myself with various mp3 files/bitrates and the CD player in our Altea Black & White (should be same radio as stylance) plays them fine and displays the trackname/artist etc on the display.

We've come from a little ford KA and I think the doors sound like they're hewn from granite when they close compared to the tinny clang we used to get ;-).

Cheers & have a good xmas,

Merino

Lambfoot

Few queries:

Must agree about the clock. Having to repeatedly press the "computer" tit just to find the time is extremely iritating.
But they've all gone the same way, my old Merc had both digital clock and external temperature on permanent display, the new one, with "computer" does not.
Most annoying is that a supremely accurate time and date facility is available from the RDS part of the radio. How hard can it be to have this on permanent display? Many quality 'after market' units have it. The only vehicle I have driven with this as standard on the factory fitted radio was a Fiat Bravo. It was the only good thing about the car.
Perhaps RDS is not available in Spain/Germany, if so, SEAT's UK arm should inform their masters of this excellent facility.

I suppose I could buy a Fiat..................

dlm2310

Rocco Is God !!
Dec 17, 2006
West Yorkshire
Must agree about the clock. Having to repeatedly press the "computer" tit just to find the time is extremely iritating.
But they've all gone the same way, my old Merc had both digital clock and external temperature on permanent display, the new one, with "computer" does not.
Most annoying is that a supremely accurate time and date facility is available from the RDS part of the radio. How hard can it be to have this on permanent display? Many quality 'after market' units have it. The only vehicle I have driven with this as standard on the factory fitted radio was a Fiat Bravo. It was the only good thing about the car.
Perhaps RDS is not available in Spain/Germany, if so, SEAT's UK arm should inform their masters of this excellent facility.

I suppose I could buy a Fiat..................

A quick flick of my wrist usually does the job when wanting to know the time ;)

banditdog

Posted ages ago about the clock - really annoying - my previous Octavia 2 had one in the display a la Seat but also one on the radio display you could see all the time (and outside air temp!).

I also find it annoying that there is no indication on your dash your front fogs are on.

Ditto hooks in the boot - see other thread

Still, not as bad as my biggest complaint - drivers door armrest is fecking ROCK hard and drives me nuts.

It's silly but these 'little' things would stop me having another Seat

I must be a fussy barsteward

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Faults so far:
1. Supposed Autoglym valet by dealer was shocking. So many parts of car not touched by any sort of cloth or polish. Most of glass was marked somewhere with fingerprints/grease/smudges. Mirrors etc not even touched by looks of it. Tyres covered in some horrible black goo "dressing". I suspect this was on the windscreen wipers too - which are now much better after giving blades and glass a thorough clean and filling screen wash with some proper stuff.
2. Have checked service book - car done at 20,500 miles but quite clearly the change brake fluid box has been ticked as not done, yet service manual states in at least 3 places that fluid should be changed at 20K or 2 years. I specifically asked dealer if all servicing had been done according to schedule and was assured that it had. Naturally I will be asking Richard Alexander to replace fluid asap.
3. "Handle" bit of trim on centre console fell off - screw has nothing to screw into! Some ham fisted grease monkey broken the centre console fixing bit and also the strapping trim is loose on this side. Back to Dicky Alex again.
4. Heated wing mirrors don't seem to work. Are they always heated if they are electric folding? Do they only work if heated rear screen is on?
Shame you can't get electric/memory seats as wife's driving position is totally different.
Weird that you can't control front rear foglights independently?

However nice little touch - screen wipers when on normal, regular wipe (now they actually clear screen...) go to pause when car is at standstill. Handy.
Still impressed with DSG box and power from engine is impressive for 2L 4 pot, had thought about getting chipped straight away but not sure it needs it.
Roll is controlled for such a tall car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members