Misfires?

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
My car is missfiring/spluttering under load on full boost. All pipework seems ok, coilpacks all seem in order as it runs fine until full boost and no engine lights. Vagcom also hasnt detected anything. Tried a new MAF and my spark plugs arnt very old either. I'm thinking maybe a coilpack is on its way out maybe? Could it be anything else? As everytime i've had a coil pack go its blown straight away rather than caused missfires 1st.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Sounds like the same symptoms my mate had with his LCR ran fine until he booted it then around 3k it started to misfire. It wasnt until it got really bad that vag-com brought up a misfire on the selected cylinder.

Merry Xmas.

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
Sounds like the same symptoms my mate had with his LCR ran fine until he booted it then around 3k it started to misfire. It wasnt until it got really bad that vag-com brought up a misfire on the selected cylinder.

Merry Xmas.

Well thats what i'm hoping tbh, got a spare coilpack sat here waiting to go on but dunno which cylinder to shove it in! I could just randomly swap it and go booting around today but it dosnt always do it plus its raining.

Merry Xmas to you to! :D

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
Merry Xmas lads! I had this a while ago, just a sharp judder/misfire at a certain rpm under load. Turned out to be a coil pack. The best way to find out which cylinder it is is probably by checking plugs to see if one is fouled. Im not sure if you can log for missfires on vag-com when under load, just at idle i think on blocks 014 and 015 although i could be wrong.

Last edited:

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
Merry Xmas lads! I had this a while ago, just a sharp judder/misfire at a certain rpm under load. Turned out to be a coil pack. The best way to find out which cylinder it is is probably by checking plugs to see if one is fouled. Im not sure if you can log for missfires on vag-com when under load, just at idle i think on blocks 014 and 015 although i could be wrong.

As its only intermitent would i notice a difference in the offending coilpacks sparkplug just by looking at it? Not sure about Vagcoms misfire detection, did try it but nothing showed.

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
i had this on mine a couple of weeks back, i decided to drive it really carefully back home which didnt log any codes with vag-com......i changed the plugs and that didnt help so i took it out for another spin, warmed it up and then noticed it starting to misfire again so i thought stuff it and just floored it until a fault code appeared, it took about 5 secs of misfiring to log the code but in the end it was a coilpack...doh!! :) it may seem a bit hardcore but its worth a try eh?

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
you changed the leads? or is that what you mean by coilpacks? they might be arching?

the 20vt doesnt have leads, it has coil packs / pencils or whatever you wanna call them

gas_igncoils3.jpg

I'm sure misfiring can also be caused by a dud MAF, have you logged the MAF? Also things you REALLY dont want to think about...loss of compression which could be leaking cylinder head gasket, leaking or sticking cylinder valves, worn pistons, liners or rings, or a cracked cylinder head or block. but hopefully the MAF :p

Last edited:

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
You ever fix or find the problem?
Ive got a misfire at 5700 onwards, got 4new plugs and coilpacks on theyre and that didnt fix it.

Well coilpack on cyl 3 finally let go last week and threw a code, so put a new one in and it cured it. Check all your turbo/intercooler hoses as if one isnt quite tight enough it can cause a splutter at high rpm/boost, i had that happen a few times on one of my intercooler hoses.