Engine Oil - Discussion..

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Hi Peeps,

Have a question regarding engine oil. When I got my car serviced last I asked them to ensure they use genuine SEAT parts to keep warranty happy. Now, when I asked about what engine oil I should use he showed me a gallon of Furchs Titan and said that oils like Duckhams and Castrol Magnatec is all a gimmick and as long as the engine oil is the correct grade then its fine.

However, on further investigation I found out that there is a spec that VW quote and as long as the oil adhere's top this oil spec then its fine. Just wanted to get your thoughts..

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Fully synthetic is the way to go, magnatec is partially synthetic
I use Millars and so do most people with 'performance' cars
Never had a problem and been recommended this by many peoples who drive all sorts of cars

sureal

Yep Id use a fully synthetic with the VW spec number for your car, they are confusing though vw503.00 for engines up to 180bhp and vw503.01 for over 180bhp and that just petrol models, Ijust got some Motul 8100 (503.01) from the oilman(hes on here do a search) its meant to be good stuff.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Fully synthetic is the way to go, magnatec is partially synthetic
I use Millars and so do most people with 'performance' cars
Never had a problem and been recommended this by many peoples who drive all sorts of cars

Another happy Millers user! Good lad! Which one do you use out of intetrest? I take it you drive a petrol?

Seat have just done me a free service (as per my thread) and have used the VAG branded oil which in my case is a 5/40.

Fully synthetic oils are known to burn off quicker than mineral based oils but synthetic is a much cleaner more refined product. However a good mineral oil (shell) is a top quality product taken from the ground.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Another happy Millers user! Good lad! Which one do you use out of intetrest? I take it you drive a petrol?

Seat have just done me a free service (as per my thread) and have used the VAG branded oil which in my case is a 5/40.

Fully synthetic oils are known to burn off quicker than mineral based oils but synthetic is a much cleaner more refined product. However a good mineral oil (shell) is a top quality product taken from the ground.
:confused::redface:
What ever Star performance put in:lol:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
You an oil baron then?
Take it you work for Millars
Manage to get the boys a cheap deal on it?
I'm going to service my car myself this year and am going to change oil, drive car for 1 day or so then change oil again with filter and stuff.
What Millars product do you recommend then?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
You an oil baron then?
Take it you work for Millars
Manage to get the boys a cheap deal on it?
I'm going to service my car myself this year and am going to change oil, drive car for 1 day or so then change oil again with filter and stuff.
What Millars product do you recommend then?

I recommend anything by Millers ;) But I would say that wouldn't I?

I recommend Diesel Power Sport 4 :D, 30-40% of the reason I bought a Diesel for my next (current) car. It's like a magic genie liquid in a bottle!!

The PW11 waxfilm is very good for protecting the underneath of your cars, including wheel arch's. The 'wash and wax' car shampoo is another product I'm very fond of.

We shop in the same market place as the big boys, therefor produce an almost identical product - apart from end user prices ;)

I can ask about getting discount prices for SCN members but I'd need to approach sales with some sort of numbers for people interested in buying from us. I don't want to start a poll or go bugging people because I'm not here to sell owt, i'm here to drool over nice Leons/Cupras! :drool:

Even without a discount you will still save big bucks for a quality lubricant.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
What was that you said.......save money
Everybody loves the ring of that two words. If you don't want to advertise but can help me out please PM me, If its only biggish orders I'm sure we can sort something out

ChrisG

Apr 22, 2002
Hants
Chaps, can someone clarify something please about the oil specs for a Cupra.

I thought the 503.0 and 503.1 oils were only for those on variable services? For fixed 10k services I thought the spec was VW 502.0?

cheers

Chris

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Cant help but wonder if all this vw specification stuff is just a load of rubbish really,why cant car makers just specify the grade and quality for there engines,all this vw 500 ,501 etc means what,engine oil manufacturers have used 2 standards for oil for years and its alot easier to understand.
I use mobil 1 in my LCR 0w-40,it does meet the vw spec for that engine but even if it didnt i would use it anyway,i used it in my fabia VRS even though it didnt meet the so called vw specification,one dealer said"you cant use that oil with the vw derv engines",really,i have since it was new for 50k changing it at 10k intervals,doesnt hardly use any oil and its never missed a beat and runs as sweet as a nut.If its good enough for mclaren F1 and the like its good enough for me vw standard or not.

Sulli

3rd Cupra
In the end there's no substitute for regular oil changes. Use mediocre oil and change every 3-5k you'll be fine, use good quality and change every 10k, you'll be fine. In fact, with todays engines, a simple oil change every 20k miles will probably see most of our 20Vts running easily past 200k miles. I choose to use a good quality oil and change regularly, though i'd probably be OK with a cheaper one.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
So how long time wise would you leave changing the oil.
I'v only done 5k in 12 months. I used VALVOLINE 5W 50 fully synthetic last time

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
So how long time wise would you leave changing the oil.
I'v only done 5k in 12 months. I used VALVOLINE 5W 50 fully synthetic last time

Think you have to change oil every year regardless of if youve done less than milage change interval.Think it says change every10k or yearly,which ever comes first.I change mine every 5000 miles cos its not standard anymore,running more boost so engine/components are under higher stress.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.